]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

TSE Home

TSE  September 2005

TSE September 2005

Q on miller book; was RE: {{very OT}}RE: Echoes of Eliot

Nancy Gish <[log in to unmask]>

T. S. Eliot Discussion forum.

Sun, 11 Sep 2005 13:50:11 -0400

text/plain

** High Priority **

Dear Jim,

I'm fascinated by your remark on Russell.  (I'll order the book this week, but I don't have it yet.)  Russell's engagement with the Eliot's was undoubtedly pernicious, but it was also initially financially and emotionally helpful (weirdly), from all I've read, and very much encouraged at first by T.  My question is whether Miller (and you, who know so much bio) see Russell as the main cause of the trouble or one of a set of interacting people, all part of the problem?

I had my own encounter with the estate, which was similar.  I was a graduate student and not at all sophisticated about how to do these things.  A friend who was working on Russell told me about the letters at McMaster, and I went there and read them.  I wanted to quote from them just to write a kind of bibliographic piece--or just to note their existence because at that point I had never seen them cited anywhere.  Gordon did, not long after.  I got an equally firm and more neutral note that they were to be published soon and I could not quote.  I was too clueless to just go ahead and describe them.  And the letters were years in coming.
Nancy

>>> [log in to unmask] 09/11/05 1:21 PM >>>
I read Miller's book in Ms, which was very readable, full of interesting anecdotal material, which gives a more rounded sense of TSE's personality (as a young man) than maybe any other bio now in print. For instance, it rightly stresses the importance of key friendships, such as those with Aiken and Harold Peters.

Miller did not get much cooperation from TSE's Estate -- one recalls the many strictures attending Ackroyd's bio, and one sees more of the same here. (I can sympathize, having been turned down with efficient politeness in a form letter from Valerie when I applied for minor assistance from the Estate.)

Miller does a fine job of integrating TSE's bio with his emerging sense of himself as poet. It is strongest in its summation (and follow-through) of earlier researches into TSE's schooling, including Harvard and Oxford.

As one might expect, it returns to the matter of TSE's sexual identity (you've been noting Miller's previous book in this e-list). It overlaps to some extent with Gordon's bio of TSE's Early Years, but the emphases are quite different. Where Gordon sees TSE as a solitary given to night vigils, etc., Miller places TSE more squarely in his collegiate context, and he deals extensively with influences from Harvard philosophy to doctoral study at Merton, and the pernicious interference of Russell in his marriage during the harried years as lecturer in London. I was surprised to note that the Ms did not deal with gay or queer theory, and it did not reflect Rainey's findings in TWL as published in various articles (it was written concurrently with Rainey's books, but the articles were in print in Yale Review and elsewhere). Perhaps these deficiencies have been corrected in the published book.

In a way (to me, not necessarily to Miller), TSE's or Bildung (i.e., youthful phase of intellectual development) recalls Wordsworth's self-constitution as recollected in The Prelude (subtitled "The Growth of the Poet's Mind" [I guess Miller borrowed WW's idea in his title (see below)]): Just as WW was a child of Nature (and educated by Nature), so TSE was a child of the City and of books and formidable tutors (he may be the best-educated poet ever). This "Bildung," along with influences from the Continent, e.g., urban Symbolistes like Laforgue, made TSE impatient with the British Romantics. And this in turn led to Modernism's radical break with British Romantic/Victorian poetic tradition. It's interesting to note Anglophone poetry's return to its British roots (e.g., Hardy; cf. Basil Bunting, Heaney, et al.) after WWII, when TSE's poetic influence was on the wane.  --  Jim Loucks

T.S. Eliot: The Making Of An American Poet, 1888-1922 (Hardcover)

by James <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books&field-author-exact=James%20E.%2C%20Jr.%20Miller&rank=-relevance%2C%2Bavailability%2C-daterank/002-1309672-0366448>  <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books&field-author-exact=James%20E.%2C%20Jr.%20Miller&rank=-relevance%2C%2Bavailability%2C-daterank/002-1309672-0366448> E., Jr. Miller <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-handle-url/index=books&field-author-exact=James%20E.%2C%20Jr.%20Miller&rank=-relevance%2C%2Bavailability%2C-daterank/002-1309672-0366448>

Pasted from <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0271026812/ref=olp_product_details/002-1309672-0366448?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance>

James Loucks, Ph.D.
Ohio State University-Newark
1179 University Dr.