]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

TSE Home

TSE  September 2005

TSE September 2005

Re: [OT] Rap - was Re: Fwd: Poetry at the End of Print Culture Huson Review

Tabitha Arnesen <[log in to unmask]>

T. S. Eliot Discussion forum.

Thu, 22 Sep 2005 12:22:08 +0100

text/plain

OK,  agree that classifying all rap/any genre as bad
is wrong, but that is more or less exactly what that
article was doing in reverse, and as I was suffering
from a slight lack of sleep at the time, it irritated
me more than it usually would.

I do like The Streets actually.  I don't think anyone
would call them exactly rap tho.  The main dude from
it, Mike Skinner (I think), if its the same band, is
taking part in a an ad campaign for some sports brand.
 On the posters it has a quote from him saying
something like...

"I've never quite felt like part of any scene, so I
created my own...its much better to be yourself than a
poor copy of someone else"

Which I think is pretty cool.

Someone else said something about serious people
talking seriously about rap...lets forget the word rap
and just think 'example X of popular culture'.  Often
when I read serious articles about example X, it seems
as if the person writing it has no idea of what X
actually is, and is writing it in order to sound cool
and multi-cultural. This always makes me think of that
great quote by Mr. Z. Beeblebrox, which goes something
like this,

"These guys are so unhip it's a wonder that their bums
don't fall off"

Tabitha