Wyoming Trip Report (extreemly long)

STEVE GRIFFAW <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 31 Aug 2005 19:36:14 -0700

text/plain

I was not going to write this as there are no Missouri birds in this story, but since we are going through a new round of being mean to each other I decided to go forward with the report of an out of state birding trip.  For those that think it does not belong you know where the delete button is.

The Friday before last, my car was packed to go to Pittsburgh to watch the Cardinals (the baseball team) play the Pirates.  My plan was to leave Friday after some training I am go to and get to West Virginia Saturday morning to work on my WV list a couple of days before the game.  I have always wanted to see the stadium in Pittsburgh.  During Friday however, the weather forecast changed for game day and I saw another opportunity.  I had the time (no job then), the money (started a job this week), and a cheap weekend Internet airfare to Denver.  Some of you may have heard me talk about a goal of seeing at least 100 birds in each of the lower 48 states.  My Colorado list was well over 100, but my Wyoming list was 72.  I have never been to SE Wyoming with the grasslands and thought I could add quite a bit to the list.  With the border less than 100 miles from Denver, off I went.

I knew I would do well in the grasslands, but had some concerns if the birds of the grasslands had started out for the winter.  To my relief most should still be there.  While on the plane, I read "A Birder's Guide to Wyoming" that I bought several years ago for a Yellowstone trip.  Although I hoped to do well, I did not leave with any thought of breaking 100 or finding any lifers.  But while reading on the way I remembered the only missing bird from my Pawnee Grassland trip a few years ago, the Mountain Plover.  In this book it states that SE Wyoming was the best place in US during the summer to find the Mountain Plover, so now I had a goal.  The best place was the Laramie Valley which is fifty miles from Cheyenne where I stayed overnight.  With the first day coming from Denver, highway 287 from Fort Collins to Laramie cut 20-30 miles off of the drive.  This book had about six stops in this area that started in the grasslands and ended in the mountains, so thought I would make a day
 of it.

Got to Laramie around 8:00am and started on a dirt road leading toward Hutton Lake NWR.  This road was one of three locations on my route with excellent possibilities for Mountain Plover.  Saw many Horned Larks, a variety of sparrows, one late female Lark Bunting, but no Plover.  Had trouble finding the entrance for the Refuge as the markings the book listed were no longer there and the sign for the refuge was a half mile away.  Made it in and after carefully dodging the prairie dog potholes in the road viewed three or four lakes in the refuge.  Many ducks, but most were female.  A fair amount of shore birds and a handful of White Face Ibis.  Since I was on dirt roads in a rented Dodge Stratus and the rains were coming, decided to get back out to more stable roads.  The rain came and passed quickly and continued on to Lake Hattie.  On the maps this appears to be a large lake but it seemed very low to me.  Not much around the lake itself but on the way there were many prairie lakes
 worth investigating.  Picked up a few more shorebirds, but move to the north of town to the highlight of the trip, the Old Larmie River Road.

This was listed as the best area of all to see the Mountain Plover and it was a fifteen to twenty mile gravel road with no traffic, so had plenty of habitat with plenty of space without fear of being run down.  I followed the directions as listed in the book, but the road is no longer named the River road, so I had some concern I was on the right road.  According to the map the road was shaped like a boomerang and ended at the highway I left.  To drive fifteen miles on a gravel road to find your not in the right place or have to back track to get out is very annoying.  I went forward and followed my sense of direction.  In the end it was the right road.  Anyway, barely a mile along the road found my first and only Golden Eagle of the trip on a pole.  A few miles later found a Prairie Falcon flying at close range.  Around five miles down the road, I became very much aware that the scattered thunderstorms predicted were all around me.  The road was gravel, but it was flat and wide as
 well as well maintained, so I was not too concerned if it started to rain.  However seeing frequent forked lightning on three sides of you is a little disturbing.  I could see clearly it was raining in many places, but not where I was.  The west side of the storms was very disturbing as rather than the curtain of rain seen below the black clouds from sky to ground it was totally black from sky to ground.  Don't know if I have ever seen a vertical wall like that.  I kept on birding as the safest place was where I was at, but I paid much more attention to the west.  In the end it never moved my way.  On the southern end of the road, picked up four Ferruginous Hawks.  Had only seen one before in my life.  Toward the end a residence had a nice setup for feeder birds.  When I left the road, it was 6:00p.m. so I had no hope of heading toward the mountains and no Mountain Plover.  The next day decided to bypass a drive further north for more shorebirds and once again go after the Mountain
 Plover.

Decided to head up the River road from the south end today as if I miss the Plover I will be twenty miles closer to the next place to search further north.  I also found that for my state list I was at 97, so hopefully I could squeeze out three more even while visiting the same place.  Right after turning onto the river road I found a pair of Eurasian Collared Doves for 98.  About a mile later while crossing the river found Wood Duck in the river for 99.  Found within a few miles nine Ferruginous Hawks.  After about an hour and a half of driving a couple tenths of a mile, stopping, searching, and moving another couple tenths to repeat the process, finally found the Plover about 100 yards away.  It was on a very little hill (about a foot high) related to the rest of the terrain.  Watch it for around fifteen minutes until it disappeared on the other side of the baby hill.  One of those magic moments where one sees something new but just sits and enjoy it.  Also realized both goals were
 achieved at once, a life bird and #100 for the state.  But I just enjoyed watching the bird from the car with no disturbance to the bird or myself.  On the way out stopped at the house with all the feeders as several Common Nighthawks were roosting on the log poles.  The owner came and we had a nice long talk about the birds in the area.  He also told me about a nice drive into the mountains with many forest roads to explore.

With both goals met, decided to go ahead to the Snowy mountain range to look at some higher elevation species.  With my previous visit to Yellowstone, there were fewer birds that would be new to the state but I like the mountains.  The first stop was only 27 miles from town, so up I went highway 130 toward the town of Centennial.  Broad Tailed hummingbirds are there, but I was a couple of weeks too late.  Still, many Violet Green Swallows to watch.  Continued on up to Brooklyn Lake campground as according to the book that was the most reliable place in the state for Pine Grosbeak.  Of course a couple of miles before the turnoff the predicted thunderstorms came in and once again the rains came.  I continued on and by the time I reached the campground it had slowed down a bit.  I heard a flock of birds in the pines and went charging out into the rain which fortunately had become very light at the time.  Found Mountain Chickadees, Wilson's Warblers, and a Townsends Warbler.  Found a
 path around a lake but did not wander far as a new wave of rain was coming.  Picked up a couple a Hairy Woodpeckers and Red Shafted Flickers then the heavy rain came.  Made it back to the car and after about twenty minutes gave up and headed out.

There was one last stop higher up the mountain for Pipits and Rosy Finches, but found the side road was closed.  Continued on to the top and really did not put two and two together when the rain became lumpy.  At the summit in the road pulled over to a lookout and then realized I am driving on snow in August and I am wearing shorts.  At least I had a jacket and flannel shirt with me.  Still raining/snowing to hard to bird, so headed down the west side.  A couple of miles later I found a trail-head and it had stopped raining and snowing, so took a short hike.  Found a nice view along with some more Chickadees and another Townsend Warbler.  Noticed that the skies had cleared at the top, so decided to head back to the summit.  From a lookout at the top found American Pipit.  At another pullout there was a .07 mile trail to a miners shack.  By now the skies were blue and it had warmed up quite a bit, so took a hike.  Many times just stopped and admired the view of a deep blue sky, many
 alpine flowers still in bloom, the occasional snow patch on the trail, and the peace and quiet.  Yet among this without even trying guess what I found?  Five Pine Grosbeaks!

After my hike continued on down the west side of the range and found a few more new species for the trip such a Black-Billed Magpie.  By now I am running out of time and still heading away from my motel, so had to push on.  On the way back on a southern route stopped at a river access in northern Colorado and watched several deer cross a river.  Also had a very close look a Loggerhead Shrike on the access sign (10 feet away).

Next day after a quick walk in the city park in Cheyenne (with few birds) headed back to Denver and birded Barr Lake State Park just a few miles from the airport.  Spent about four hours there finding 32 species.  I arrived late in the morning and with no tripod for my scope (had window mount, I missed many shorebirds that were too far to id.  The highlight was a group of Western or Clark Grebes in the middle of the lake.  I heard some calling and saw two grebes run together for about three seconds across the water.  Even though I still had 6-7 hours before my flight, it was hot, the afternoon storms were coming, and I love watching the animals painted on the tails of the Frontier airplanes, so back to the airport.

Just one note about window mounted scopes and cars since cars had been a recent discussion on this list serve.  With the Stratus, I found that even with the window as low as it could be and still support the scope that I had to often turn my head sideways to look through it.  The height of the window was the shortest I have ever had and it was too short to look through the scope comfortably.  Another thing to keep in mind when looking for that next car to bird from.

If anyone is still reading at this point hope you enjoyed the story.  I went on and on and on and it was not Missouri birds, but thought a break was needed from the tension.

Steve Griffaw
St Charles MO.