]

:

LISTSERV Archives

MOBIRDS-L Home

MOBIRDS-L  August 2005, Week 3

MOBIRDS-L August 2005, Week 3

Re: 2005 SLAS Carlyle Pelagic Trip Information!

John and Nancy Solodar <[log in to unmask]>

John and Nancy Solodar <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 19 Aug 2005 14:05:38 -0500

text/plain

Perhaps I should respond as I am the one who currently oversees the bird
trip scheduling for St. Louis Audubon.

We've been round and round this issue many times.   For many years SLAS and
IOU did separate Carlyle pelagic trips, usually on back-to-back weekends,
and competed with each other for the most desirable weekend.  On those times
when SLAS did not have the late September weekend, the pelagic trip did not
coincide with the ASM meeting.   However, after a while it was obvious that
the best time to see the Sabine's gulls and the other goodies was around the
22-27 of September.   The weekends before and after usually were devoid of
the target birds.

Last year Joe Eades did a marvelous thing and initiated an agreement with
IOU that enabled IOU and SLAS to share the same weekend with the adjustment
that both groups might have to cut back on their number of attendees.  I was
not there, but I understand that it all went well.   Joe and Josh are doing
the same thing this year.

The bottom line is that the September 22-27 time slot is the best
opportunity for viewing the target birds at Carlyle and no one wants to give
that up.   It's also the normal time frame for the fall ASM meeting.  The
St. Louis Audubon birding community has accepted the fact that folks who
also want to attend the ASM meeting are going to have to make choices, maybe
do ASM one year and Carlyle the next.

This will not satisfy all of you and it may infuriate some.   For the
foreseeable future the situation is not likely to change because the demands
of most St. Louis area birders are to do the pelagic trip on the "best
chance" weekend.

John Solodar - Birding Trip Coordinator for St. Louis Audubon Society
8135 Cornell Ct
University City, MO 63130-3639

[log in to unmask]   314-862-5294