MOBIRDS-L  August 2005, Week 3

MOBIRDS-L August 2005, Week 3

Are suncreeen and DEET bad for you?

Fri, 19 Aug 2005 09:15:08 -0500

text/plain

I was intrigued (and a bit dubious) about Della's note, so I did a little
research.  The item she mentioned was not an article in a scientific
journal, but a news article about an unpublished study.  The study
apparently found that applying DEET and sunscreen at the same time could
increase the absorption of DEET (which should stay on the skin surface to
be effective).  This study was done in the lab with tissue cultures, not
whole organisms,and it did not measure any of the toxic effects listed.

The article is attached below.  If you scroll farther down you will find
some information from the Illinois Department of Public Health that
concludes that it is indeed safe to use DEET and sunscreen at the same
tieme -- although they recommend that people do not use the combined
DEET+sunscreen products.

John Besser
Columbia MO

From 'Physician and Sportsmedicine Journal', Volume 31. Sept 2003:

Sunscreen and Bug Repellent: A Bad Combination?
Concerns about West Nile virus may prompt many outdoors enthusiasts to
apply insect repellent when they lube up with sunscreen. However, using
the products together may have some undesirable effects, according to a
researcher at the University of Manitoba in Winnipeg.

Xiaochen Gu, PhD, professor of pharmacy, says that his lab has found that
when sunscreen and insect repellent are applied to the skin at the same
time, the two products increase absorption of each other.
N,N-diethyl-3-methylbenzamide (DEET), the active ingredient of most
repellents, is intended to remain on the surface of the skin, said Gu in a
press release from the University of Manitoba. "If absorbed, it can cause
skin allergy, hypotension, headaches, disorientation, and encephalopathy,
especially in children," he said. Because of these concerns, Gu's group is
attempting to modify the nonmedicinal ingredients in sunscreen and
repellents to reduce unwanted absorption rates.

from Illinois Department of Environmental Health website:
<http://www.idph.state.il.us/envhealth/deetfacts.htm>

Can I use an insect repellent containing DEET and sunscreen at the same time?

Yes. People can and should use both sunscreen and DEET when they are
outdoors to protect their health. Follow the instructions on the package
for proper application of each product. Apply sunscreen first, followed by
repellant containing DEET. To protect from sun exposure and insect bites,
you can also wear long sleeves and long pants. You can also apply insect
repellent containing DEET or permethrin to your clothing, rather than
directly to your skin.

Has CDC changed its recommendations for use of DEET and sunscreen?

No. Based on available research, CDC believes it is safe to use both
products at the same time. Follow the instructions on the package for
proper application of each product. Apply sunscreen first, then insect
repellent containing DEET, to be sure that each product works as
specified.

Should I use a combination sunscreen/DEET-based insect repellent?

Because the instructions for safe use of DEET and safe use of sunscreen
are different, CDC does not recommend using products that combine DEET
with sunscreen. In most situations, DEET does not need to be reapplied as
frequently as sunscreen. DEET is very safe when applied correctly. The
rare adverse reactions to DEET have generally occurred in situations where
people do not follow the product instructions. Sunscreen often requires
frequent reapplication, so using a combined product is not recommended.
You do not need to reapply insect repellent every time you reapply
sunscreen. Follow the instructions on the package for each product to get
the best results.

I heard about a study saying that there may be some type of interaction
between repellents containing DEET and sunscreen. Is this true?

There has been attention to a study concerning the chemicals in DEET and
sunscreen presented at a scientific meeting. This is an in vitro study,
which means that it is a laboratory study that did not include human or
animal testing. The goal of the study was to examine absorption of these
chemicals, and it did not evaluate or make conclusions about health
effects related to this issue. The study authors stated that further
evaluation of the interaction of these chemicals should be conducted. The
study has not yet been published (as of July 2003).

Evaluation by the EPA, which regulates products such as DEET, indicates
that it is safe to use insect repellents containing DEET and sunscreen at
the same time. CDC recommends using two separate products because
sunscreen requires frequent applications while DEET should be used
sparingly. Follow the directions on the package for each product, and
consult your physician or pharmacist if you have questions. CDC's
recommendations for the safe use of insect repellents on children and
adults remain unchanged.