]

:

LISTSERV Archives

MOBIRDS-L Home

MOBIRDS-L  August 2005, Week 1

MOBIRDS-L August 2005, Week 1

Re: [BIRDCHAT] End of Ivory-billed Controversy - Bizarre!

Stephen Whitworth <[log in to unmask]>

Stephen Whitworth <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 3 Aug 2005 00:02:43 -0500

text/plain

     As someone who works in the media (The Telegraph, daily newspaper in
Alton, Ill.), I wanted to respond to cupla points made in the IBWO
Controversy discussion.
     I don't think either of these comments was intended to bash or blame
the media for how the controversy has played out, but I do think they assume
a little too much. And I don't want to sound like I'm whining about it,
because I realize the media is fair game for criticism, much of it probably
deserved and legitimate. Nevertheless...

     Robert Fisher wrote:
     "It is time to blame a usual suspect -- "the media." Please note that
the principal sources for much of the now-ended "Ivory-bill Controversy"
were newspaper stories. I'm all for a constitutionally-protected free press.
It must be allowed to do its job (selling newspapers). But the time and
place for evaluating scientific claims is when they actually are published
and answered in respected scientific journals. It's a frustratingly slow
process sometimes. But the end result is more reliable."

     My response is that Mr. Fisher seems to be "blaming" the messenger,
cliche as that sounds. Let's keep in mind that these newspaper stories were
written for the general public, not specifically for those with a special
interest in birds. Let's also remember that the announcement by Cornell et
al about the "rediscovery" of the IBWO was big news all over TV and NPR, as
well as in the newspapers. Would Mr. Fisher have been happier if newspapers
had ignored this story because the scientific vetting process still was
playing out?
     Let's face it, when somebody with the status of Cornell Lab and Nature
Conservancy makes a major announcement like this, it's the media's job to
report that announcement. It's not the job of a daily newspaper to be
expected to analyze and evaluate all the scientific issues involved in time
for that evening's deadline.
     I think Mr. Fisher is actually making this same point when he says that
scientific claims should be evaluated when they are hashed out in
"respected" (hmm, guess newspapers get no respect, huh?) scientific
journals. I agree 100 percent. But if readers and/or birders are jumping to
conclusions based on breaking newspaper reports, I think the readers and
birders at least share the blame.
     I submit that in this matter, the newspapers carried out their function
pretty much as they should: They reported the initial announcement, then
they reported the fact that some observers were challenging the conclusions
of the Cornell team. I don't think it should be the job of the newspapers
either to take sides in the controversy or claim to have definitive answers.
Rather, I think it's their job to give all sides their fair say, and to put
the scientific controversy in perspective for the average reader.
     Let's keep in mind, the percentage of hardcore birders who really got
into discussing all this is miniscule compared to the overall number of
general interest readers. I've spoken to many people, including some in my
own newsroom, whose general reaction to the whole story was, "Who cares?
It's just a bird." I would guess that's how a significant percentage of the
general readership feels.
     As Mr. Fisher correctly points out, those with a true stake and
interest in the real science of this matter probably should hold off on
drawing final conclusions until all the scientific publications weigh in.
But newspapers also must consider the vast majority of readers who, at best,
have a passing interest in the initial announcement, then might also be
interested to know that there are skeptics.
     My basic argument is that in matters such as this, newspapers should be
viewed as the starting place for the discussion, a format for disseminating
the "news" of a major announcement by "respected" scientists, and not as the
final arbiter of purely scientific questions. And in that respect, I'd have
to say the newspapers did their job pretty well, wouldn't you agree? There
probably has been more attention paid to a single bird species in the last
few months than I can ever remember, not to mention the corollary issues of
conservation and public access that have arisen. Certainly, the IBWO has
been a hot topic on MOBIRDS, altho that might well have happened even
without any major announcement in the newspapers.

     The other point to which I wanted to respond comes from Jeff Wright,
who wrote:

     I think the point of Robert Fisher's email was just to say that
everyone, birder or scientist, has a tendency to jump on whatever bandwagon
the media pushes.

     Again, I think Mr. Wright is assigning motives to the media that may
not really be there. I doubt that the vast majority of daily newspapers or
electronic media outlets were "pushing" any agenda or bandwagon in this
matter. If the announcement by Cornell Lab had been to the effect that their
researchers had proved conclusively that the IBWO was extinct, I think the
media would have duly (not dully, at least I hope not) reported their
conclusions. Maybe it wouldn't have made as big a splash, because the idea
of a species "coming back from the dead," so to speak, has much more appeal
and naturally is going to be played up more prominently.
     In this case, if there was a "bandwagon," I would say it was being
"pushed" by the ornithological and conservation communities, both of which
were eager to promote public interest in their particular areas of concern.
After the excitement of the initial reports died down, and the IBWO faded
from the headlines, it clearly was these two communities that continued and
intensified the discussion of the issues involved. And when there are
schisms within these communities on issues of at least some interest to the
general public, the media again is only doing its job when it reports on
these controversies.
     OK, don't mean to beat this thing to death. In conclusion, I'd just
like to pose this question: What harm was done by the media in publicizing
the initial announcement and the subsequent controversies? Perhaps some in
the ornithological community had their "feathers" ruffled? Seems like a
small price to pay when compared to the positive attention that was paid to
the whole IBWO drama and the raising of the public's awareness on
environmental and conservation issues.
     And hey, hasn't it given a lot of us something to talk and speculate
about for the last few months? I sometimes think we worry too much about the
answers and the conclusions, when it's really the questions and the
speculation that make these issues interesting. If we had known on the first
day the report came out, conclusively and without question, that the IBWO
definitely was still in existence, would it have been as much fun as we've
had for the last few months? There's something to be said for a little
mystery and controversy, in my opinion.

--Steve Whitworth, city editor, The Telegraph, Alton, IL