]

:

LISTSERV Archives

MOBIRDS-L Home

MOBIRDS-L  July 2005, Week 3

MOBIRDS-L July 2005, Week 3

Full NY Times Article on Ivory-billed Controversy

Thu, 21 Jul 2005 08:11:02 -500

text/plain

Full Article below.
Edge Wade
Columbia, MO
From : <[log in to unmask]>
To : <[log in to unmask]>,
Subject : [TN-Bird] Re: NY Times Article on Ivory-billed Controversy
Date : Thu, 21 Jul 2005 7:45:31 -0400
Below is the whole article.  Available at
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/07/21/science/21bird.html.  You'll need to be
registered.

Chuck Nicholson
Norris, TN

New York TImes
July 21, 2005
3 Biologists Question Evidence in Sighting of Rare Woodpecker
By ANDREW C. REVKIN
Three biologists are questioning the evidence used by a team of bird
experts who made the electrifying claim in April that they had sighted an
ivory-billed woodpecker, a bird presumed to have vanished from the United
States more than 60 years ago, in the swampy forests of southeast
Arkansas.

If the challenge holds up, it would undermine not only a scientific
triumph - the rediscovery of a resplendent bird that had been exhaustively
sought for years - but also significant new conservation expenditures in
the region.

The paper questioning the discovery has been provisionally accepted by a
peer-reviewed journal, which could post the analysis online within a few
weeks. But the paper will be accompanied by a fierce rebuttal by the team
that announced the discovery, and a response to that rebuttal by the
challengers.

The expected publication of the paper and the rebuttal was confirmed in
interviews and e-mail exchanges with two authors of the challenge, Richard
O. Prum and Mark B. Robbins, ornithologists at Yale and the University of
Kansas, as well as with two members of the team that reported finding the
woodpecker.

The third author of the new paper is Jerome A. Jackson, a zoologist at
Florida Gulf Coast University and the author of the book, "In Search of
the Ivory-Billed Woodpecker," published in 2004.

"In my opinion," Mr. Jackson wrote in an e-mail message on Wednesday, "the
data presented thus far do no more than suggest the possibility of the
presence of an ivory-billed woodpecker. I am most certainly not saying
that ivory-billed woodpeckers are not out there. I truly hope that the
birds do exist in Arkansas or elsewhere and have been championing this
idea for a long time."

Both groups of scientists declined to name the journal or to discuss the
details of the challenge and the response until they were published.

But they made it clear that the debate revolves around four seconds of
fuzzy videotape that, by chance, captured a bird with sweeping
white-and-black wings as it darted from its perch on the far side of a
tupelo tree in April 2004 and flicked over swampy waters before vanishing
in the trees 11 wing beats later.

That video clip was just one piece in a pile of drawings, recordings and
other evidence collected in more than a year of searching and deploying
cameras and listening devices across the vast swampy reaches of the Cache
River National Wildlife Refuge.

Altogether, the original research team, led by scientists from Cornell
University and the Nature Conservancy, compiled seven sightings, including
the video, as well as recordings of a "double knock" sound typical of the
ivory-billed bird.

But only the video was potentially solid enough to confirm for the wider
ornithological community the existence of the bird, the authors said in
various statements at the time.

Everyone agrees that the bird that appears on the tape is either an
ivory-billed woodpecker or a pileated woodpecker, a slightly smaller bird
that is relatively common. Both species have a mix of white and black
plumage. However, the ivory-billed woodpecker has a white trailing edge to
its wings while the pileated woodpecker has a black trailing edge.

The team that conducted the original search for the bird ran extensive
tests, including recreating the scene captured in video using flapping,
hand-held models of the two types of woodpecker. They concluded that the
plumage patterns seen in the grainy image could only be that of the
ivory-billed woodpecker.

The authors of the new paper disagree.

Only extended scientific discussion - or new pictures of the bird from
additional searches - will determine whose view will prevail. Another
intensive scientific search of the region is scheduled to begin in
November, Cornell officials said.

"The people who originally announced this thoroughly believe they got an
ivory-billed woodpecker," Dr. Robbins said in an interview. Determining if
a species has crossed the threshold of extinction often requires decades
of observation to ensure that no stray individuals have found a reclusive
hideaway.

Supposedly extinct species have been rediscovered with some frequency over
the last century. One famed example is the coelacanth, a huge fish known
only from fossils for generations but then caught by African anglers.

In the case of the ivory-billed woodpecker, a magnificent bird with a
30-inch wingspan and a red crest, determining that it has not become
extinct has proved equally daunting. Individual birds were widely
dispersed, and the woodpecker shared habits and habitat with the pileated
woodpecker.

Van Remsen of Louisiana State University, an expert on the woodpecker and
a member of the team that reported finding the ivory-billed species, said
he remained confident of the discovery.

"We can counter everything," he said. "We stick to our guns."

The announcement of the bird's apparent discovery came on April 28, when
the scientists' findings were published in the online version of the
journal Science.

The announcement thrilled conservationists, who saw the bird as the
perfect symbol around which to build an invigorated protection plan for
woodland habitat in the Southeast, which harbors a rich array of wildlife
and plants.

The Bush administration used the reported sightings in Arkansas to promote
its "cooperative conservation" philosophy. The day the rediscovery was
publicized, the administration announced a variety of initiatives,
including a plan to pay more than $13 million to landowners within the
region's floodplains who plant and maintain forests.

John W. Fitzpatrick, the co-leader of the search for the bird and director
of the Cornell University Laboratory of Ornithology, said it was normal
for scientists to disagree about evidence of this sort, especially because
in this case the video in question was "pretty crummy."

But he said that extensive analysis was done and redone to eliminate the
possibility that the bird was a pileated woodpecker.

Dr. Fitzpatrick added that there was "significant additional evidence
right now" that would be published in coming months.

He declined to comment on the challengers' assertions, saying any
discussion could jeopardize publication of the exchange of papers on the
video.

> From: [log in to unmask]
> Date: 2005/07/20 Wed PM 11:54:29 EDT
> To: [log in to unmask],  [log in to unmask],
> 	[log in to unmask],  [log in to unmask]
> Subject: [TN-Bird] NY Times Article on Ivory-billed Controversy
>

> Here is the beginning of the article on the Ivory-billed controversy
which
> will appear tomorrow.
> The three authors of the submitted paper are Richard Prum and Mark
Robbins
> plus Jerome Jackson.
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> 3 Biologists Question Evidence in Sighting of Rare Woodpecker
> By ANDREW C. REVKIN
> Published: July 21, 2005
> Three biologists are questioning the evidence used by a team of bird
> experts who made the electrifying claim in April that they had sighted
> an ivory-billed woodpecker, a bird presumed to have vanished from the
> United States more than 60 years ago, in the swampy forests of
> southeast  Arkansas.
> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
> The Cannons will roar!!!
>
> Good  Birding!!!
>
> Jeff R. Wilson