message from T. Barksdale on IBWO

Jean Leonatti <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 27 Jun 2005 08:26:50 -0500

text/plain

Tim Barksdale was unable to post this message to MoBirds himself.  He asked
that I post it on his behalf, and I am happy to do so.
Jean Leonatti
Boone County
Columbia, MO

Dear Missouri List Serve Folks,

I use the 4 letter Birder code below (IBWO) at times for Ivory-billed
Woodpecker. There are 3 majors points I want to make in the very beginning.

First, being a part of the field research team for many months in secret, we
have a great advantage over those who would be detractors. We have had an
enormous amount of time to study EVERY available piece of literature ever
published on Ivory-billed Woodpeckers. I have read Tanner at least 5 times
in full, this being a factor of many long nights in Arkansas and a burning
desire to understand and successfully film the bird. I consider it entirely
plausible
that the encounter rate we experienced with the bird is as low as we
reported. There are many factors in the difficulty of working in this
habitat., besides the factor of secrecy which we needed to maintain.

Second, having seen Pileated Woodpeckers daily in the area and having filmed
them from many different angles, I am 100% convinced that the bird in the
Luneau video is an Ivory-billed Woodpecker. We have taken several additional
steps to ensure that our re-creation allows for the maximum ability to
measure both any artifacts, white balance issues and account for blurring.
Several of these factors are applicable to David Luneau’s video.

My third and final point is in the last paragraph below.

Although Chris may be the individual who is doing the posting on Missouri
Birds there are more involved in the background.

It appears that more Kansans than I had previously suspected actually do not
believe in evolution (slight tongue in cheek here). Birds of many species
are certainly under attack through the destruction of habitat. It would
appear that some folks believe that if some types of habitat are virtually
destroyed that resident birds just roll over and die. It would appear they
do not believe that individuals of a species have no will to live or
survive. It would appear they believe species have no capability to adapt at
all. This is not my understanding of how evolution works.

First, lets talk a little about the destruction of the Singer tract. In the
1940’s the largest remaining Virgin tract of 81,000 acres was cut. The
forest in this area was severely impacted and almost completely destroyed.
The 6 pairs of IBWO that James Tanner documented vanished. However, not
every last stand of virgin forest was simultaneously destroyed throughout
the south.

Why is it that many people simply ASSUME that these strong, capable birds
rolled over and died? Many other things indicate that ivory-bills were
probably a disaster seeking species in the vast forests and ranged widely.
How scientific is it to assume that they all just died? Can birds not fly?
How far might they have traveled? Could they have reproduced after the
Singer Tract? And given how hard it is to locate ANY pairs of IBWO is it
possible that any were left anywhere else in the south? Were other tracts of
fragmented virgin forest left?

Exactly what do Ivory-billed Woodpeckers eat?

We have all this information and to answer all of these questions (let alone
the hundreds of others) would take me hours and HOURS of typing and I am not
going to do that today. Let me here say that I have been asked to speak
about all of these topics by Pittsburg and Wichita Audubon groups and that
they are approaching Burroughs Audubon as well. I accepted Sue Gustafson’s
invitation to speak at the Missouri Audubon annual meeting next year, as
well. So we have plenty of time.

Pileated Woodpeckers-

Perhaps significant here, would be to briefly discuss my experiences of
perhaps over 500 hours of actual field observations of Pileated Woodpeckers
in the past year. Daily, I observed this species in numbers of up to 37
individuals. One would think that this base of experience might be given a
bit of credit when these individuals decide to imply that I know little
about Pileated Woodpecker identification.

Last year, I also filmed, besides 3 nests, certainly dozens of birds in
every type of behavior imaginable. Most of the footage is of feeding but
there is sufficient footage of birds in flight and to have developed an
enormous library of Pileated Woodpeckers in most anything you could want.
Certainly, the Lab has sufficient footage to produce a film alone on
Pileated Woodpeckers. I might suggest that my experience alone in the last
year, may not have been repeated by anyone else in the world. So how is it
that our level of experience with Pileated Woodpeckers seems to be
discounted to nothing in the eyes of our detractors?

Habitat-

I believe that sufficient habitat exists to support at least one
Ivory-billed Woodpecker in the vast area surrounding the core area of
sightings. Many of the trees in this area are now approaching 60 years of
age. Many others were culls – left behind by logging operations. Some of
these are over 1000 years old. There are pockets of spectacular beauty.
Singer tract type habitat is only one type of habitat we know ivory-bills
used. It is the best studied but we have little information on the wide
range the species was adapted for.

One of the characteristics of good Ivory-billed Woodpecker habitat cited by
Tanner in his epic work was the abundance of all the other woodpecker
species and there is certainly that in the Bayou deView area.

There is an abundance of forest in the White/Cache/Bayou deView area, well
over 300,000 acres. The Nature Conservancy and other groups are working to
preserve and restore many more acres with the specific intent of creating
Ivory-billed Woodpecker habitat for the future. Much of this huge forested
area has increased in age and has been protected for many years since the
formation of the White River National Wildlife Refuge. This is to the GREAT
credit to conservationists: duck hunters and all. The vast majority of folks
I met in Arkansas truly love the bayous and forests and have embraced this
bird. This is also to their great credit.

There are areas in the southern United States where (Missouri too) where
ivory-bills could also be persisting. Doubt me if you wish.

Use of my name-

While using my name to twist the facts into a position they may feel is
correct, these individuals have not had the courtesy to directly call and or
discuss their intentions to do this in a public forum.

I spent 241 days in the field in Arkansas over the 13 months from April 2004
to April 20005. During this period of time, I had 4 encounters with at least
one Ivory-billed Woodpecker. Of this I am certain as well. Unfortunately,
their posting does not accurately convey my full experience of working on
filming several of the worlds most critically endangered species over the
past 15 years, including these encounters.

The lack of high definition footage of one Ivory-billed Woodpecker does not
indicate the bird does not exist. As a member of the Big Woods Conservation
partnership I am determined to help conserve and add to the habitat. I am
equally determined to acquire the necessary footage of the bird that these
misguided individuals claim does not exist.

Sincerely,

Timothy R. Barksdale

Birdman Productions L.L.C.
MundoAveLoco! Inc.