Threatened expulsion from list

Robert Fisher <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 25 Oct 2004 02:04:34 -0500

text/plain

The list owner has threatened me with expulsion from the list for a very brief (but sarcastic) post that I made on October 22nd  to the effect that a possible Kelp Gull in Indiana should be collected by KU folks and sent to LSU for research. It is the first post to the list related to the collection of the Smithville Gull that I have made in nearly a  month. It did not create an uproar.

I do not believe my post jeopardized the list owner's contract with MU. It certainly did not go outside the wild bird subject matter. It does not appear to me to have a been a personal attack or other violation of normal rules of propriety. I don't see it as having endangered the collegiality of the list. I do see my post as having been a sharp, if brief,  reminder that the issue of the collection of the Smithville Gull never really got resolved satisfactorily for many of us, including me. The person who collected the Smithville Gull has never promised to refrain from doing it again. Unless and until he makes such a promise and/or the authorities assure that they will prevent him from having the opportunity to do it again, I believe that any rare bird we report to the list is in danger of being collected. The more rare the bird, the bigger the likihood it will be collected for the museum in Lawrence.

The ASM leadership has evidently sought to make the whole issue just go away by declaring that Mark Robbins gave an explanation at the Fall Meeting that satisfied everybody. End of story. Case closed. I dissent from that. I am not satisfied with the explanation. I don't want to close the case until we can be assured that the next Smithville Gull that shows up will not also get collected and sent to Lawrence.

The list owner has a right to make rules as well as to enforce rules already made. If she wants to suppress dissent she has every right to do it. I see her threat to expel me as an attempt to suppress my dissent about the ASM leadership's handling of the Smithville Gull affair. I would have liked to see the ASM leadership attempt to negotiate an agreement with Mark Robbins whereby he would promise not to do it again. I suggested as much privately to Susan Gustafson and Edge Wade. (Edge had provided good leadership with her "come let us reason together post").  As I see it, ASM decided instead to try to shove the issue under the rug.

If I get kicked off the list for dissenting about the Smithville Gull incident, so be it. If I become unpopular for trying to keep the matter alive (albeit in a way that I think respects the collegiality of the list), so be it. I believe the collecting of the Smithville Gull was wrong and contrary to the interests of birders, like me.  If I get kicked off of the list and/or become unpopular for standing up for what I believe in, I will not be the first person to suffer similar consequences for similar behavior.

I have written letters to various parties in an effort to prevent Mark Robbins from being able to collect another Smithville Gull-type bird in Missouri. I have not sought to have him, or anyone else, disciplined, nor have I sought to have his collector's permit taken away. I have asked several parties for an investigation, and I have sought to have a limitation placed on Mark's ability to collect rare birds being watched by lots of birders in Missouri.  Thus far, I have not used the list to rally support for my campaign. Indeed, I have shared my actions with only a few other people.

Since it appears that I may be kicked off the list soon, I now invite anyone who wishes to join the cause of the Smithville Gull  to contact me privately. I will provide copies of the letters I have sent and suggestions how you can write supportive letters, if you wish to do so. If you wish to write letters expressing a different slant than mine, I will welcome that too.

I have been birding for 57 years. For almost all of that time, I have been aware that collecting is an emotional issue in every birding community. Some birders oppose all collecting. Others recognize that a great deal of valuable scientific information has been gathered from specimens and that much of that information could only have been gained by collecting.  Most birders don't focus upon it, but the illustrations in most of our best field guides could not have been done without the aid of specimens. A fair number of very ardent birders would like to see rare birds collected to establish state records with certainty, resolve difficult identification questions, etc.

My viewpoint is intermediate between the ban-all-collection folks and those who would put the interests of people who want to collect rare birds above those who want to leave them alive for more birders to see. I would allow collection, especially from substantial populations, only for well-justified use in carefully-planned scientific projects. I would ban it for single strays that birders are watching. I would also encourage alternative ways of getting information -- e.g. capturing the bird or extracting DNA from one or more feathers. Photographs are another alternative to collection. I believe that Slaty-backed Gull and Ross' Gull both got full status on the Missouri checklist from photos. I understand that a feather from the Smithville Gull was obtained before it was shot. It was molting heavily and more feathers were available. Quite a library of increasingly-good photos was also accumulating when it was shot. Out-of-state experts were just beginning to review the photos and make comments.

Simply stated, my rule would be, "When unnecessary or in doubt, don't collect."

The interests of amateur birders and professional ornithologists usually run  on the same track or on parallel tracks and in the same direction. Both have made great contributions to each other's knowledge. Only occasionally do these interests clash head on, but it occurred with the Smithville Gull. (I wrote about a similar incident 44 years ago in THE GREAT ALBATROSS DAY, which can be read at http://www.mobirds.org/Articles/Albatross.htm). It is my viewpoint that professional ornithologists (and members of record committees, who would like specimens for the purposes of state records) should refrain from collecting zooties to avoid a head-on clashes with the birders. If they are unwilling to agree to refrain voluntarily, I think their employers and/or the permitting authorities should restrict them from doing it.

The issue can be argued over and over, as it has been argued over and over in the past. Unless the list owner wants to establish a special point-counterpoint-type forum for it, I would prefer not to see it argued any more at any length on this list.  I think the list has probably heard all that most of its subscribers want to hear about the Smithville Gull.  While I do think that the issue could be debated in a civil manner in a forum such as this one without getting people mad at each other, and that such a debate could be informative, I am not suggesting it.

I value the collegiality of the list and the nice cyber-community that is Missouri Wild Bird Forum. I do not think the list's atmosphere of good will is in much jeopardy in this instance. But I do think were should be careful not to let our emotions carry us away.

At the bottom line, I am willing to take the consequences of my decision to fight on, whatever they may be, and I invite those who wish to join me (or to discuss the issues with me by e-mail) to contact me off list.

Thanks.

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri