]

:

LISTSERV Archives

MOBIRDS-L Home

MOBIRDS-L  September 2004, Week 4

MOBIRDS-L September 2004, Week 4

Re: Fwd: In defense of the shooting of the Smithville Gull-there is none!

Lynn Miller <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 23 Sep 2004 12:12:22 -0500

text/plain

Surmizing from Jackie nooker's letter, it would be ok for someone to take the
last vagrant California condor that accidentlally appeared in arizona for the
'scientific value.'  I was lucky enough to work at Whitefish Point Bird
Observatory, and my partner & came to a starling discovery: Willow flycatchers
had indeed spread to the up of Michigan despite the beief that they did not
exist there (According to the higher ups in the Michigan Audubon Society).  We
used the formula in Pyle which separates Willows from alders & straight tyrant
(undistinguishable) flycatchers.  We found the same results as dr. David
Hussell at thunder Bay observatory.  Had we 'sampled' the willow's, we would be
sestroying the very foundation of research we were trying to uncover!!

As a wildlife biologist & science teacher, I can not condone the 'taking' of a
single vagrant (Smithville gull) for the 'betterment' of research.  Ye, I wear
animal based clothing, and eat meat.  My CHOICE is to make my students aware of
the fallacies that some science 'provides' for the betterment of research.

Lynn miller
Lone Jack,MO