Re: Carlyle Lake

Jean Leonatti <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 27 Sep 2004 08:28:20 -0500

Boone County
Columbia, MO

-----Original Message-----
From: MO Wild Bird Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]]On Behalf Of
Charlene and Jim Malone
Sent: Sunday, September 26, 2004 6:39 PM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Carlyle Lake

Since this msg (message) has my name plastered in the front and sent to the
list I will reply in kind:

With all due respect,  I have mentioned that the "Hazlet Pavilion" is
labeled the Olympic Shelter in a past post, but I have REPEATED info about
the Carlyle sightings so often, I don't know when & what listserve.
If there were any questions or uncertainties about directions, a simple
phone call/e-mail to me directly could have rectified that issue.

To avoid re-issuing directions over and over and over and over and over and
over, it would also help if the birding co-ordinates of the various spots
could be corrected on the WGNSS (Webster Groves Nature Study Society)
website, but it is my understanding that is not happening any time soon
(supposedly Mapblast's problems??)
Maybe written directions for all the various birding locations on the SLAS's
(St. Louis Audubon Society) and/or WGNSS's website?? I know it's a pretty
kooky suggestion, but I don't see that happening any time soon because:
1) no one wants to invest in all the time it would take. Besides, why to do
this when there is a book one can purchase for this info.
2) Why do it, when "someone else" will do it via Mobirds for free.

In the past when others have needed directions to various spots
in MO, it was suggested that those people making the inquiries should
consult the book, "A Guide to Birding in Missouri" by the Audubon Society of
MO, the MDC (MO Department of Conservation) Atlas, "Missouri's Conservation
Atlas: A guide to Exploring your  Conservation Lands" or other free maps
distributed by MDC.

For those that may not have gotten the information in past posts, from now
on, I HIGHLY recommend that if anyone wishes to find directions to
birding spots in the St. Louis area to consult one of the following books:
 - "Birds of the St. Louis Area:Where and When to find them" By Paul Bauer,
Connie Alwood, Randy Korotev, *Anderson and *Van Benthuysen. *deceased. OR
BETTER YET, please contact the the living authors directly.
Info on purchasing this book can be obtained on the WGNSS website >
www.wgnss.org
- For spots in IL, including CARLYLE LAKE, please purchase the"Birds of
Illinois" by Sheryl DeVore. It can be purchased on www.amazon.com or at the
ABA (American Birding Association) on-line store.

With everyone buying these books there should be NO more problems in finding
birds seen in the St. Louis area.
WOOHOO! I just suddenly discovered a lot more free time........where's that
next zootie? :-)

'Nuff said.

Charlene Malone
St. Louis co.