Hungarian Bird-Banding trip

Dick Dawson <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 14 Aug 2004 19:35:16 +0000

text/plain

HUNGARIAN BOG BIRD-BANDING EARTHWATCH RESEARCH TEAM
   OCSA Landscape Preservation Area,    August 2-8, 2004

      Ellie and I  took the opportunity in early August to join a
bird-banding team timed to  our return from 2-week visit and tour of Romania
and Nyaradgalfalva, home of our Unitarian partner church in Transylvania
(eastern  part of Hungary ripped off and given to Romania after World War
I).   This is the 20th year Dr. Tibor Csorgo has  had teams of Hungarian
high school students and  volunteers from around the world helping to gather
data on  migrating birds in a relic marsh/bog/wooded  area near Budapest.
Over 200 species have been banded over that time,   and the ongoing study is
the  major factor in continuing preservation of this former peat mine area
which was declared a nature reserve in 1983.   Our team of seven Earthwatch
volunteers  included two Japanese, an Indian now living in Taiwan, a
Brazilian, and three Americans.
     The days began about 6 am when we untangled birds caught in the six
lines of mist-nets that total 2400 meters in length.    Placed into
individual cloth bags, they were brought to a central site where Tibor
“ringed” the birds and  called out to the recorders the species, sex, age,
plumage, wing and tail length, wing formulas and comparative length of
certain wing feathers, fat condition  (blowing up belly feathers to see
through skin), molt status, and they were weighed before being released.
Ellie and I had spent two months driving and camping and birding around
western Europe in 1963 and in eastern Europe in ‘96, so we began with a
European list of 112 species, including 21 of the 38 species caught last
year in early August;   we added 11 of the missing 17 during the week.
Yes, we know the ABA doesn’t count netted birds unless they have been
released and are flying around naturally, but we don’t turn in ABA lists.
We  also  got  to add willow tit to our list, since on ‘63  it  was
considered same as black-cap chickadee despite having very different song.
Most birds we caught were Acrocephalus and similar warbler species, birds
about as easy to identify by sight in the field as Empidonax flycatchers
around here.     Our Wood-Warbler family (Parulidae) has lots of colorful
males in the spring---their Warbler family (Sylviidae) looks like Peterson’s
“confusing fall warblers” page, even in spring.     They usually don’t sing
in nets or the hand, so the identification manual puts a lot of attention on
wing feather shape and length; those species migrating the farthest
typically have longer and more pointed wings.    Their blackbird (as in “4
and 20 baked in a pie”) is a thrush, very similar to our robin (and in fact
will interbreed if put together, as some did about 100  years ago when
released around Kansas City).     Their Flycatchers Muscicapidae) look and
act much like ours (Tyrannidae).  Got to see a black woodpecker (similar to
pileated without the white), but it stayed out of nets.   Also a (real)
sparrow hawk--similar to sharpshin.     The August, 2002, totals captured
and banded, in order  of the 38 most abundant were Barn Swallow  (1547),
Sedge Warbler, Blackcap (warbler), Tree Sparrow (460), Marsh W, Reed W,
Garden W, Wood  W, Savi’s W (107), Great Reed W, Spotted Flycatcher, Willow
W, Nightingale (51), Whitethroat (W), Blue Tit, Pied Flycatcher, Lesser
Whitethroat, Blackbird, Icterine  W, Thrush Nightingale, Red-backed Shrike,
House Sparrow, Robin, Bee-eater  (7), Bank  Swallow, Moustached W (20), Reed
Bunting, Great Tit, Song Thrush, Chiffchaff (W), River W, Grasshopper  W,
Chaffinch, Greenfinch, Nightjar, Tree Pipit, Collared Flycatcher,
Long-tailed Tit (6).     These being  fall migrants, most of those caught
were in juvenile plumage.
     Tibor  built a house with sleeping  and  meeting rooms, kitchens,
bathrooms three years ago ---earlier years were in tents like the high
school students still used, so things are pretty plush now.    This was our
second Earthwatch---first was in ‘91, a great biogeography study of spiders,
scorpions,and lizards on desert islands in the Vermilion Sea on east side of
Baja California, which we tacked on to a  trip down for the total eclipse;
tragically that program died four years later  along with Gary Polis the
chief researcher when he was killed in a boating accident.

EARTHWATCH INSTITUTE:
For those who have never encountered Earthwatch, for three decades  they
have supported scientific field research throughout the world, enlisting
public volunteers who participate in gathering data and who pay their own
costs and their share of the costs for the professional researchers who lead
the teams.   Volunteer teams range from 4 to 15 in size,   and work 1 to 2
weeks on 140 projects including animal behavior, archeology, birds,
butterflies, climate change, community health, coral reefs, fish, flowers,
fossils, history, mammals.   Other bird examples?  Dr. Dusty Becker from
K-State leads a  study on Ecuador Forest  Birds; there is an Owl Ecology
study in Tierra del Fuego, an a Macaw study in the Peruvian Amazon,
Smooth-billed Ani nesting  behavior in Puerto Rico, South African Penguins,
and our study has a Kenya counterpart.   A typical project will involve 4 to
12 research teams during the year.   Tax-deductible costs range from $750 to
$2500 per participant, plus transportation to a staging area near the
research site; scholarships are available for students and teachers.
While  ten  project titles  specify birds, in most you live among birds and
other wildlife from Vietnam to  the Pantanal, from Hudson Bay to the
Kalahari, Tasmania to Iceland.    You usually do not need special
skills---the staff will teach you what you need to know.    One volunteer
wrote “Earthwatch is a  chance  for people who care about their world to be
a part of the solution, not just a part of the problem.   I have done plenty
of traveling, but never before have I felt that it counted for something
beyond my own narrow scope of things.”    For info,   www.earthwatch.org.

--Dick Dawson
5804 Charlotte
Kansas City, MO 64110