Northwest Trip Report

Edge Wade <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 8 Jul 2004 12:59:22 -0500

text/plain

This is a synopsis of our trip northwest (Nebraska, Wyoming, Utah,
Nevada, California, Oregon, Washington, British Columbia, Idaho,
Montana), June 11 through July 7.

We (Bonnie Heidy, Della Rhoades, Jerry and I) got home yesterday
afternoon.  Mike and Joyce are still in the northwest (home in a couple
of weeks), Clare will be back next week and Carol flew home on the 4th.

It was truly an amazingly successful trip.

Found Sage Sparrow in Wyoming--lifers for Bonnie and Della.  Also found
a Eurasian Wigeon!  A singing Green-tailed Towhee entertained us at a
pass in Utah; Black-billed Magpies were there, too.

We were guided around the Salt Lake area one day by a former neighbor of
Mike and Joyce, Keith Evans, who prepared the birding trail map/guide
for Utah.  The result was stunning views of Chukar, a Peregrine Falcon,
Lewis's Woodpecker, Bobolink and much more.

We had brief but good birding in Nevada wetlands, then found a
White-headed Woodpecker near South Tahoe--of course sighted first by
Carol, the least experienced birder, whose mind and eye wandered off the
Steller's Jay being discussed as to subspecies markings.

In east central CA mountains, Jerry was the lucky one to see the
Mountain Quail--the only one found on the trip.  It eluded our best
efforts to refind it.  Also had great looks at another White-headed
Woodpecker.

Our next target was Yellow-billed Magpie northwest of Sacramento in Yolo
farmlands.  Found three and presented Bonnie with her 600 pin.

Moving north, the next morning we went to the Tower Historical Dist.
near Whiskeytown Lake and found Cassin's Vireo, the only bird that was a
lifer for all 8 of us.  Then on to McArthur Burney Falls Mem. SP and
good looks at breeding Black Swifts.

In the Tule Lake and Lava Beds areas we watched a magnificent Calliope
Hummingbird, saw a Prairie Falcon and watched Clark's and Western Grebes
with all white immatures.  I added 12 California birds in this area.

We were lost in Klamath Falls, OR, looking for a park when we chanced to
see a group with binocs and scopes.  We pulled in and were graciously
accepted as tag alongs with the Portland Audubon field trip led by Clint
Brumitt.  We spent the morning with them (Cassin's Vireo again, many
small birds, and grebes riding on parents’ backs) and ran into them the
next morning looking at Bald Eagles and Black Terns.

At Crater Lake NP the Clark’s Nutcrackers were everywhere, but the Gray
Jays stayed away.

With the excellent services of Steve Shunk we saw 11 species of
woodpecker (including Three-toed and Black-backed) in the Oregon eastern
Cascades.  Heard Western Screech, Flamulated and watched Northern
Pygmy-Owl.  Saw Dusky, Hammonds, Pacific-slope Flycatchers and learned
some i.d. differentiations.  Della, Joyce and Mike all passed the 600
mark while we were with Steve.

On the Oregon coast Black, White-winged and Surf Scoters were soon
spotted, along with Pacific Loon and Pelagic Cormorant and the first
alcids, Marbled Murrelets and Common Murre.  Lincoln City was a great
place to stay--had a cottage two blocks from public beach.

Heading north, we were a bit disappointed with most viewing from the
shore, but did see a Tufted Puffin.

Then there was the pelagic.  This was a one-day pelagic out of Westport,
WA.  This is the oldest record-keeping pelagic in the country.  It is
also one of the more notorious for rough seas.  This is the trip
featured as the lead article in the January 2004 issue of Winging It.

My, oh my.  Westport Seabirding aboard the 50-foot Monte Carlo,
captained and crewed by owners Phil and Chris Anderson, with birding
leaders Bruce LeBar, Gene Revelas and Mike Donahue on June 26, 2004 will
be a trip to be talked about for many years to come.

Seven of us (Jerry elected not to go), 9 Illini, 3 Swedes, 2 Germans and
another fellow experienced a pelagic trip by which all others will be
measured in our books.

The water was exceptionally smooth--not glassy calm, but with very small
swells.  There was so little wind the guides worried the smell from the
chum would not carry far enough to attract birds.

We encountered a convention of sitting birds.  Perhaps the calm
conditions made flying more arduous than usual, so they just sat on the
water.  The official count was more than 2000 Sooty Shearwaters, I
recorded 8 Pink-footed (there were more--I just put down what I saw),
more than 200 Northern Fulmars, about a dozen (I saw 7) Fork-tailed
Storm-Petrels, and more than 900 (no that is not a typo) Black-footed
Albatross!

But wait--there is more.  In the midst of the Black-footed were two
others--one a Laysan and---just sitting there less than a hundred yards
from the boat---a SHORT-TAILED ALBATROSS!  Many photos were taken.

And, just to round out the trip, as we returned we encountered a sitting
SOUTH POLAR SKUA.

We took a day to recouperate, then toured the Olympic Penninsula.  About
half of our group were able to hear distant Varied Thrush.  The formerly
elusive Gray Jays bounced all around us at a picnic site, but our
attention was diverted by a male Blue Grouse calmly eating about 50 feet
from us.

On to Vancouver Island.  We had many Rhinocerous Auklets from the Coho
ferry.  On the island we had good scope views of Sky Lark on our second
stop for it.

We dipped on efforts for the Mute Swan, primarily due to my lack of
preparation.  We did find a Red-necked Grebe at Whiffen Spit after the
only rain delay (about 1 hour) of the whole trip.

Our car headed east through the northern Cascades.  We found 11
Red-necked Grebes on one lake!  We did not find the Gray Partridge where
it had been seen a month before--the way our luck was running we thought
it a reasonable try.

At 1,600 miles from home we began to pick up the pace, birding very
little in Montana and eastern Wyoming.

Totals
Days (Wade car):  27

Miles:  just under 7,000

Lifers: Edge-4, Bonnie, Della, Joyce, Mike between 12 and 20 each, Clare
about 25, Carol 50.  Jerry doesn’t list (so of course he saw the
Mountain Quail).

Species seen/heard on the trip:  249

More details on sites, etc., upon request.

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO