Re: Barn owls in Sesser, Ill.

Stephen Whitworth <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 10 Jul 2004 04:00:38 -0500

text/plain

To Keith and any other Missouri or Illinois birders concerned about this
issue:
     I posted to Mobirds a report from my visit to Sesser, Ill., on July 2,
when I saw four of the barn owls in the nesting family there.
     First, I want to say that I totally respect Keith's opinions re this
matter. Everyone knows what a great and dedicated birder he is, and I know
he has the interest of the birds foremost in mind.
     I don't mind anyone's criticism of my post. I know Keith wasn't trying
to "target" me personally, but again, only thinking of the welfare of the
birds. My only reason for responding to Keith's post is to encourage a
healthy dialogue and exchange of viewpoints among Mobirds and IBET
subscribers re this issue, as it comes up fairly often and probably touches
all of us birders at one time or another.
     I would just like to point out that the only reason I knew about the
location of these barn owls was from two previous postings by Illinois
birders, no need to name names. Because of my interest in trying to get a
"really good" look at these awesome birds, which previously had eluded me or
only shown me their tails as they flew away from me, I questioned the two
Illinois birders about the exact location, and they shared the info with me.
     I think Keith is exactly right when he encourages everyone to "think"
before posting such information, and I would like to assure him that I did
so. If my experience in seeing the birds had been different, and if they had
given any indication of being disturbed by my presence, I would never have
described their location in my post. Let me give a few details of my visit
to illustrate why I came to the conclusion that these birds could be
observed safely by myself and others without disturbing them or altering
their behavior in any way.
     Also, I'd just like to mention that the only list I keep is a life
list. I don't go around disturbing nesting birds just to add them to a year
list or a state list, because I don't keep those, not that I think there is
anything wrong with others doing so. I don't use tapes or take photos or
trespass. In fact, my main reason for posting the info was because I met
Curt Johnson, the owner of the building where the barn owls are nesting, and
he assured me that I wouldn't be disturbing them, and he gave me permission
to observe them from his property.
     If you read my original post, you will remember that I didn't see the
birds when I first arrived, and I walked around the block. When I returned
to the church, Curt, the building owner, had the garage door open to his
lawn mower repair business, which is directly below where the owls nest. I
spoke to him and we had a pleasant conversation. He's a nice guy and very
enthusiastic about the owls. I asked his permission to be there, which he
gave, and I assured him I didn't want to do anything to disturb the birds.
It was chiefly because of my conversation with him that I came to believe I
was not doing so and that other visitors would not, either.
     I will certainly defer to Keith's experience and judgment when he says
the barn owls are skittish around their nests, considering this was the
first barn owl nest I have visited. But I think a description of this
location and some of the circumstances will illustrate why I came to believe
the owls were not disturbed by my presence.
     Knowing that barn owls are so rare, and under the impression they
generally are found only in remote and rural areas, the location of the nest
surprised me. It's in an abandoned building, but right in the middle of a
residential neighborhood. Curt's lawn mower repair shop is right below them,
and the first thing I thought was, doesn't the noise of the lawn mower
engines disturb them? Curt assured me it does not. Also, this area is lit by
some street lights and by a light over the garage door to Curt's shop. Curt
told me the owls frequently roost on that light. During my visit, Curt had
occasion to leave in his pickup truck to run a short errand. He starts his
truck probably 25 feet from the hole in the wall and drives directly under
and past it on his way in and out. There was no indication this disturbed
the owls. It's clear that he and his wife use the area directly under the
hole as a driveway and are driving in and out of there at all hours of the
day and night. Apparently, this has not deterred the owls from nesting there
for three consecutive years now.
     While I was talking to Curt, he heard the owls calling inside the hole.
Pretty soon, we saw the first face appear at the hole. This was dusk and
rapidly getting dark, so much so that my binos soon weren't of much use.
Several times, the owls would peer out, and whether it was because we were
there, probably only 20 feet away, they would move back. Then two at a time
were looking out. Curt said they were getting ready to fly out of the hole,
as they do every night about that time.
     At that point, I was still concerned about the possibility of my
presence disturbing them, so I moved farther out to the other side of the
street. I was probably now 50 to 75 feet away from the hole. Shortly
afterward, they began flying out, one at a time, every few minutes, and
flying directly into some trees just 25 feet or so from the back of the
church.
     Again, I want to stress that I expressed surprise to Curt about this
seeming tameness on the part of the owls. He gave me several anecdotes about
how people around town watch out for them and report seeing them around.
Probably his anecdote that really convinced me the owls weren't too
concerned about humans was when he told me that the town had held its picnic
the previous weekend in the park just across the street. He talked about how
they had all the rides and the lights and the loud music and the kids
screaming and everything in this little park, and I mean this is only 50 or
100 feet away. He said the owls went through their regular routine that
night and didn't seem to pay any attention to all the commotion. This was
when I really became convinced that people could observe these owls quietly
and using common sense without disturbing them.
     And I'll mention one more thing to support that point, which also
occured to me that night. This was July 2, and getting dark, and
firecrackers and other fireworks were going off all over town, some of them
quite close. I was sure this would spook the owls, but it apparently did
not, as they went ahead with their nightly routine just as Curt said they
would.
     From the point that the owls started flying out, Curt had to leave, and
I moved back to the other side of the street and down somewhat, more like 25
to 30 yards away from the nest, and spoke to a woman who was sitting on a
porch swing outside her house, on the other side of Elm Street from the
church. I didn't get her name, but she told me she sits out there and
watches the owls every night. She told me they frequently fly right over her
head as they fly around the neighborhood. She also offered to show me her
photo album of pix she has taken of the owls. As it turned out, it started
to rain at that point, and I decided to call it a night and leave, but I
have to assume that she was able to photograph them on at least one occasion
without disturbing them.
     I never used a flashlight or attempted to photograph the birds.
     I would guess it's possible that the birds have become accustomed to
the people in the neighborhood. Maybe it was because I was standing with
Curt, and later with his neighbor across the street, that my presence didn't
seem to disturb them. But everything I saw there led me to the conclusion
that these particular birds were accustomed to being observed by humans at
very close range, were accustomed to the noises and commotion of everydown
town life, small-town traffic going right by within 25 feet of their nest
hole, etc.
     So re the issue of "thinking" before sharing info about the location of
these birds, I took all of this into account and concluded that it was
extremely unlikely that any of the birders I know would disturb these birds
in any way by observing them discreetly from the rear of the church or
across the street. From everything I saw, I could have set off a firecracker
directly below the nest, and it wouldn't have bothered them. Of course, I
never would have done something like that, but there certainly were
firecrackers and bottle rockets going off within a block or two of the nest,
and it seemed to bother the owls not one bit.
     I'd like to assure Keith that if I had seen these birds in any kind of
rural or remote location that indicated they were "skittish" about the
presence of humans; if any local resident had warned me that they were shy
or had asked me not to get too close; or even if I had seen the birds react
with any kind of apprehension or fear to a vehicle passing by 10 feet below
their nest or a firecracker going off 50 yards away; then I most certainly
would have "thought twice" about posting their location and probably would
not have done so.
     But in fact, the opposite was true in every respect. And in fact, the
owner of the property gave me carte blanche to visit any time or bring a
friend. He told me the town police even are aware of the owls and watch out
for them, and if someone is back there trying to see them, and the police
stop and ask what they're doing, all they have to say is that Curt gave them
permission to watch for the barn owls, and they have no problem with it. In
fact, the entire impression I got was that these owls are practically the
town pets. As Curt said, "If anybody tried messing with them, the neighbors
and the police would be here in no time. Everybody here watches out for
them."
     OK, the defense rests. For my closing statement, I'd like to thank
Keith for bringing his concerns to everyone's attention, especially mine. I
couldn't agree with him more that NOT EVERY bird can be seen or shared, and
that some information DOES NOT need to be shared. If anyone has a right to
be concerned and protective about these birds, or to be the "birder police,"
then Keith does. And finally, I completely agree with him that any birder
who knows the location of a nest occupied by a rare species that might be
disturbed by human activity in the vicinity should definitely THINK before
they SPEAK.
     However, I will respectfully disagree with him when he says it is a
"shame" that the secret of this Sesser barn owl location is now out of the
bag. I don't believe I acted irresponsibly or did anything to be ashamed of.
I hope my explanation has shown that I did ask questions of the people who
live with these birds literally in their back yards, that they assured me
that normal, common-sense birding activity does not disturb these birds,
that I was invited to visit at any time and bring other birders, and that
the property owners welcome visitors and are more than delighted to show the
owls to them. I want to assure Keith that I DID THINK about the advisability
of posting this info and concluded based on my experiences there that it
would DO NO HARM to SPEAK about what I saw.
It even occurred to me that the Mobirds administrator might make the
decision that this info should not be made public, and if the Mobirds
administrator had chosen not to post the report, I would have deferred to
their judgment.
     BTW, Curt Johnson also told me that state conservation people were
aware of the nest and had visited it. I asked him whether any of the birds
ever had been banded, and he said no. Obviously, barn owls have nested in
this location for three straight years. Without banding, I guess there's no
way to know for certain whether it's the same pair returning each year, but
I would suspect it is. They apparently have successfully raised multiple
chicks in this location each year. May I respectfully suggest that these
birds seem pretty well-established in this location, where human activity is
all around them? I honestly don't believe that I did anything to disturb
them in any way, and I don't know any birder that I have met in person or
through Mobirds or IBET who would do so deliberately. I guess I've heard the
"horror stories," too, but never actually seen a birder do something like
that.
     And after all, isn't a large part of the reason why we are birders that
we want to share the love and knowledge of birds with others? I saw nothing
but positives in the Sesser situation. The townspeople who might otherwise
not know a house sparrow from a painted bunting probably have learned
something about barn owls from having them around town. Curt's wife is the
town librarian, and he is on the fire department, and as I mentioned, even
the police officers in town are aware of them. These are people of influence
in that community, and I think that the interest shown by birders -- and
yes, the visits that birders make and the money they often bring, stopping
to buy gas or a soft drink, perhaps -- reinforces to those community leaders
that these birds are more than just wonderful creatures of Nature, they also
can be an economic and social asset. That just gives them more reason to be
protective of the birds and to educate others about them, and isn't that
really what it's all about? Just to stretch the point a little, I visited
Grayling, Mich., in May and was able to view the Kirtland's warbler on its
breeding grounds there. The trip was supervised, everyone behaved and was
rewarded with a thrilling birding experience, and the town's economy was
stimulated, as we birders stayed at the hotel and bought gas and meals, etc.
There's no reason why the barn owls of Sesser, on a smaller scale, of
course, can't be a similar win-win situation.
     I guess only the future will show whether any damage has been done. I'm
willing to bet there has been no harm done. I'm willing to bet no visiting
birder is going to disturb these birds in any way. I'm willing to bet barn
owls will nest in this spot next year. But even if they don't, how could it
be proved that an increase in the number of birders observing them was the
cause? Perhaps it's natural for a nesting pair of barn owls to change nest
locations every few years. Perhaps this nesting pair will be wintering
somewhere this year and be attacked by a great horned owl and be killed. If
they don't return next year, how would we know it had anything to do with
the number of birders observing them? I'm afraid all we would be able to do
would be to speculate.
     So to conclude, I don't believe I need to apologize for sharing this
info with other birders. If I'm wrong, and it does turn out to be the case
that some "I've got the right" birder is lured to Sesser by my post, and
this rogue birder puts a ladder against the wall and sticks a camera in the
hole and takes flash pix and scares the birds outta their wits... well,
first of all I'd try to find that rogue birder and kick their butt... then I
will gladly submit my own butt for a collective kicking by the rest of the
good and careful birders. Seriously, if something happens to these Sesser
owls, and I have any reason to believe it was because someone went there
based on my post, I will be extremely depressed and probably never post any
sighting again. But I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything is gonna
be fine.
     Well, I guess I've done my share of "venting" now, too, haven't I? But
let's face it, we could have this debate about practically any birding
activity. Certainly, I've seen controversy over pishing and using tapes.
Ethics are always somewhat nebulous, and pure cause-and-effect relationships
are so hard to identify. How do we know that we aren't disturbing the birds,
changing their behavior, possibly affecting their reproductive activities,
any time we walk through the woods or around the edge of a wetlands? We all
flock to the migrant traps during spring migration to see migrating
warblers. The birds are there to feed and rest. Isn't it just possible that
by our birding activities each May in TGP or Forest Park that we are
interfering with at least a few migrants, disturbing them as they try to
feed or find mates? Isn't it possible we are preventing maybe one bird in
1,000 from reproducing that year because we interrupted a meal it
desperately needed to replenish its energy when we stepped a little closer
to get that good look at it? And maybe that one in 1,000, over the course of
some years, begins to make a difference in that species' stability, perhaps
even contributes to its decline.
     And Keith, I'm not "targeting" you, but do you know how I saw my first
American bittern? I was at the Sauget marsh, and you and Connie Alwood put
on wading boots and waded in there, and the bittern flushed. I got my thrill
and my life bird, and I appreciated it. I don't believe that affected the
bird's survival or reproductive success, but we have to admit, don't we,
that there's some possibility it might have done exactly that? My only point
in bringing that up is that we as birders should always THINK about what
we're doing before we ACT, much less before we speak. I'm sure you had good
reason, based on your extensive birding experience, to believe that flushing
that bittern was NOT going to harm it in any way.
     All I'm asking now is the benefit of the doubt -- while certainly not
claiming to have anywhere near your expertise and experience as a birder,
because I know I'm a rank amateur and have no scientific training -- that I
also felt I had good reason, based on my experience in Sesser on the night
of July 2, to believe that providing info on the barn owls' location to
other responsible birders was NOT going to harm them. And that I most
certainly DID THINK about it before making my decision to SPEAK. If my
decision was a poor one, nobody will regret it more than I will, and I will
have learned a bitter lesson. Let's hope for the birds' sake, not mine, that
I didn't make a mistake.
     Other than that, all I can do is echo everything else Keith said in his
conclusion. For those of you who read my post and want to go see the barn
owls, PLEASE be considerate.  NO recordings, NO rocks, no flashlights in the
middle of the night, etc.  Be considerate of the birds AND of the people who
live there! I think we all can agree on that.
    Thanks for listening,

    --Steve Whitworth, Glen Carbon, Madison County, IL

Hi Gang:

>Sorry to have to "vent" or "spout off" on this topic but I believe
something
>MUST be said.
>
>By now, I'm assuming, MOST of IBET and MOBIRDS knows about a nesting pair
of
>BARN OWLS in Southern Illinois, in Franklin County near Rend Lake.  Yes,
I'm
>speaking of the Sesser, IL location.
>
>Anyhow, the birds have been quietly nesting for 3 years now!  In fact,
>fellow Corps of Engineers' employees of mine at Rend Lake called me about
it
>3 years ago!  Seems as 1 of the young birds had fallen out of the nest.
My
>pals at Rend Lake rescued the little guy and placed him back in the nest.
>
>I'll get right to the point!  We, birders like to have life birds and year
>birds and county birds and day birds and list after list after list!  I'm
>just as guilty as the next guy!  Ask my closest pals and they'll tell you
>how "anal" I may seem with all of my lists that I can enter on my Palm
Pilot
>and transfer to Avisys, etc.
>
>However, some species are vulnerable to disturbance by even the most
careful
>of birders.  BARN OWL is one of those species that tolerates man, but is
>very skiddish around its nest locations and really shouldn't be bothered
if
>one can help it!   In fact, some of us have known about nesting Barn Owls
in
>S. IL for over 20 years and most of us are "sworn to secrecy" to NOT tell
>everyone about them!  The birds are just too leery of visitors!
>
>I know a few good birders asked about the Sesser location.  I know info
was
>given out with the assumption this info would NOT be shared with the
entire
>world.  I'm certain that trust was NOT violated.  However, from the
posting
>on MOBIRDS, NOW the entire world that wants to know the location, DOES now
>know the location!  This is NO longer a secret!
>
>I really hated to see this post on MOBIRDS.  Certainly, not every Missouri
>birder will venture to the Rend Lake area to capture a BARN OWL for
his/her
>life list or year list or whatever.  But, Illinois birders have "way too
>much info" now, and I can only hope that from now on, ALL of us are more
>careful when "distributing" locations of nesting species to each other.
I'm