Re: O.T.: GUNNAR AND LANGUAGE

Nancy Gish <[log in to unmask]>

T. S. Eliot Discussion forum.

Mon, 24 May 2004 23:30:17 -0400

text/plain

"Others do it too" is never a justification, excuse, or explanation for
doing wrong.  America has lost its moral position because it has done
terrible wrong--terrible evil.  I do not think we set ourselves the goal
of being no worse than others; we claim to have values ourselves.  There
are no words to explain or mitigate Abu Ghraib, none.
Nancy

>>> [log in to unmask] 05/24/04 9:19 PM >>>
This post was filled with such anti-Americanism, anti-Semitism and
ignorant
one sidedness that I won't repeat it here.  I was watching C-SPAN this
weekend,
a get together by various famous journalists, broadcasters and other
celebs
in honor of a journalist who had died in Iraq and there was a question
period
after the program which consisted of readings from this journalist's
various
works.  I can't recall his name just at the moment.  Anyway, a person
from the
audience came up and stated something that I have stated before to
various
people before, namely that it is not true that this country is divided
fifty/fifty.  In fact, it is divided twenty-five/twenty-five.
Approximately 25% of
Americans are staunch liberals, 25% are staunch conservatives.  The
other 50%, in
fact, are neither.  Some of these may lean one way or the other, but
have voted
for both Democratic candidates and Republic Candidates, and some don't
vote
by party at all, but by particular issues or even personalities.  I
often tell
this to my fellow Democrats to warn them that most people don't go with
extreme views on either side. Most Americans aren't stupid, though
Gunnar would
believe otherwise. Most Americans realize that extreme views on either
side
usually aren't in the best interest of themselves, their families, their
community,
their country or indeed the world.
Though I find Gunnar's anti-Semitism disgusting, it's obvious, too, that
since Gunnar isn't American (thank God), we may excuse his total
ignorance of the
nuances of American politics.  If he thinks for a moment that Kerry is
going
to take Anti-Israeli stances, he is very much mistaken.  We'll forget
for a
moment that Kerry is, in fact, half Jewish and that there are practising
Jewish
persons within his extended family (his brother, sister-in-law and
nieces and
nephews).  If as much as 70% of the Jewish persons in New York voted for
Bush,
Kerry would still win New York.  New York is a given for the Democratic
Candidate.  However, if only as much as 40% of the Jewish persons in
Florida voted
for Bush, then Kerry would, in fact, lose Florida.
I also find his anti-Americanism totally disgusting.  At least, we try
right our wrongs, and the prison wrongs were very wrong.  I hope that
all
involved, from private to general who even know about it, are tried and
punished.
But, there have been and are so many rights. So much generosity.  And,
If I was
French, I would be so so embarrassed to visit Omaha Beach. It's the
Europeans
who need the oil far far more than us.  Is it $5.00 a gallon now or
$6.00?
We only get 25% from them and the quicker we go to hybrid, the better,
and it
will happen and the panic in the Arab world then will be telling.
What I find truly telling is that Gunnar never mentions the wrongs of
other
nations, leaders or persons, except Americans.  He never mentions the
mass
graves we found in Iraq, the people in Iraq he brutally killed with
nerves gas,
the torture and rape rooms of Saddam's sons.  He doesn't mention the
terrorists
who killed three thousand Americans, hundreds of Spaniards, etc.  He
must
think that it's right and good that the women in practically all of the
Arab
countries are made to wear body suits and veils and are uneducated.  He
thinks it's
well and good for suicide bombers to enter a pizza parlor in Tel Aviv
and
kill 20 teenagers.
I can truthfully say, Gunnar that every single person I know, Repub, Dem
or
flounmdering, would trust Israel over France any day, any hour any
where.  So,
take your agenda and shove it.  We're wise to it now.  9/11 woke us up.