Re: hear here?

Dorothy Lambert <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 14 Apr 2004 15:45:41 -0500

text/plain

About a year ago, I gave it up and got hearing aids.  WHAT A DIFFERENCE THEY
HAVE MADE TO MY QUALITY OF LIFE!  I was 35 when I was first diagnosed with a
hearing loss so quit with the "old folks" stereotyping already.

My hearing loss is in the mid-level of human speech--probably hereditary.
You don't know what a 40% hearing loss is until it is corrected.

My hearing aids are digital.  They each have two directional microphones;
one on each can be turned off if you are in a place with a lot of background
noise like a restaurant.  (It helps to sit with your back to a corner, or at
least a wall, to help block out background noise.)  Additionally, the one
for my left ear is also programmed so that I can use it with the telephone.

Getting the hearing aids made an amazing difference to my birding. I
actually had to learn bird calls because I started birding seriously after I
started losing my hearing and had never learned to ID birds by sound!  It
helps to turn off one of the mikes on each aid when birding so that I can
tell direction better.

The hearing aids were $2000 each and I have spent the last year kicking
myself daily for not getting them sooner.

See your doctor first.  There are many things that can cause hearing loss,
even some medications.  (This is strange because this is what I wrote my
newspaper article about for this week.)
Get it checked and get it fixed.

Dorothy Lambert