Scope decisions

Robert Fisher <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 21 Mar 2004 21:07:29 -0600

text/plain

One of my European brothers-in-law (I have two) asked me for advice on what scope he should buy. I had previously given him my 45-year-old Bausch & Lomb 60 mm Balscope, but it has worn out.  I went to some trouble to try to answer his question, so I am sharing my advice to him below for the benefit of anyone else who might be interested in the same questions:

(I had previously provided him with copies of the article on low dispersion glass that I published in Birding in 1995 and the one on the B & L Elite 80 mm ED ST that I published in Birding in 2001. I had also discussed the offset vs. straight-through issue with him previously).

"A decision to buy a scope should involving envisioning how you will use it. Price may or may not be a consideration. Birding is important enough for me so that, if I bought a new scope, I would want it to last for the rest of my life. Price would be secondary. I would spend the money to get what I wanted with the understanding that I would probably never do it again. However, if birding were a less important part of my life, I might purchase a cheaper or intermediate-priced scope with the idea that I would move up to the top of the line if and when birding became more important to me.

Since I really don't know how important birding is to you, I will address all three possibilities, cheap, intermediate and high end. I will also address another major issue, portability vs. maximum resolution. The smaller, more easily portable scopes are less effective for seeing objects at great distances. Conversely, the best scopes for getting the best views of birds that are very far away are larger, heavier and more inconvenient to lug around.

Before I get down to scope comparisons, let me make a very important point. The scope is only half of the viewing system. Tripod sturdiness is equally important. A mediocre scope on a sturdy tripod will give a better performance than  the finest, most expensive scope on a shaky tripod. Likewise, the tripod is itself a system composed of two parts, the leg assembly and the head. A shaky head on a sturdy leg assembly or a great head on a shaky leg assembly will be a shaky tripod. For good viewing, you need a good scope on a sturdy tripod head mounted on a sturdy leg assembly.

The whole optical system is like a three-legged stool. The scope, the tripod head and the tripod leg assembly are the three legs. If any leg is deficient, the stool will not stand up very well, if at all.

Advice No. 1: Don't spend a lot of money on a new scope unless you are also prepared to spend the money to buy a good tripod and a good tripod head on which to put it.

Portability vs. maximum magnification and resolution

The size and weight of a scope is, roughly speaking, dependant upon the size of the objective lens. The objective lens is the larger lens at the opposite end of the scope from the focal lens against which you place your eye. There are three general groups of objective lens sizes:

60 mm  The old Bausch & Lomb scope that I gave you is a 60 mm scope. 60 mm scopes are generally the lightest and most easily portable. They are also usually the cheapest. Their main draw back is that they admit less light and have narrower fields of view than scopes with larger objective lenses, and they hold their finest resolution only to lower powers of magnification. Thus, the Bushnell Spacemaster (the successor to the B & L Balscope I gave you) comes only with a 15 x 45 power zoomlens (vs a 20 x 60 for the larger scopes) and really holds its resolution well to about 35-40x. But it is a good scope. It is light and compact. And you can buy one at a discount house like Eagle Optics (www.eagleoptics.com) for $269. The Bushnell (a/k/a Bausch & Lomb) Elite 15X45X60 is another excellent 60 mm scope. In this case, the 15 x 45 power zoomlens is built in. Eagle sells it for $359. The top 60 mm scope is the Nikon Fieldscope III. It is about the same size as the other two but more expensive. It comes in both straight through and offset models and with both standard and ED glass objective lenses. A Nikon Fieldscope III 60mmED will cost between $700 and $800.

(There are many other 60 mm scopes. Don't buy one without checking it out very carefully first. There is lots of junk out there).

77 mm to 85 mm The largest, most expensive scopes have objective lenses between 77 mm and 85 mm in diameter. They let in the most light, usually have the widest fields of view and resolve the farthest objects at the highest powers. They are also longer and heavier than 60 mm scopes and therefore less easily portable. In North America, a great deal of scoping is done from the car from a window mount or from a tripod only a short distance from the car. Most really dedicated North American birders own a high 77-85 mm scope. In Europe, a lot of scoping is done from hides (viewing shelters). The scope and tripod have to be carried from the car to the hide.  A lot of top European birders have 77-85 mm scopes. Optilyth (a brand that is not established on my side of the ocean) is popular there. The other choices include:

Swarovski 80 mm. Many think it is the best scope on the market. However, it is large, heavy and has helical focusing. The standard glass model is $300 cheaper than the HD and as sharp as any other scope on the market.

Zeiss 85 mm very low dispersion glass:  As good or nearly as good as the Swarovski. It has a two wheel focusing system at the top of the barrel (like the Leica) that is very nice. One wheel is for gross focusing, the other for fine tuning. The resolution is slightly blurred at the extreme edges of the image, but there is as much completely-sharp field as any other scope. If I were buying a new scope, I would probably buy a Zeiss because I like the focus wheels at the top of the barrel better than the Swarovski's "helical" ring around the whole barrel.

Leica 77 mm APO:  Great name. Good scope. But over-priced and not quite as good as the other two. The standard glass model is cheaper, but not nearly as good as the APO model.

Kowa 82 mm fluorite lens: Pretty good scope, but not as good as the first two. The standard glass model is considerably cheaper but not nearly as good as the fluorite model at very high mignification. It holds its resolution only to about 40 x, whereas the fluorite model holds its to 50 or 55 x.

Pentax 80 mm ED: Slightly cheaper than the others and optically as good, but the longest, heaviest scope. Really a monster.

All of the above scopes come in both offset and straight through models.

(There are other 77-85 mm scopes. If you are going to spend a lot of money, be very careful before buying any brand other than one of the above.  Be ready to accept intermediate optical quality if you choose an intermediate-priced 77-85 mm scope, such as the B & L (Bushnell) Elite 80 mm ED ST or a standard glass 82 mm Kowa).

62-66 mm  Recently, Swarovski, Zeiss, Leica and Kowa have all come out with intermediate scopes with 62-65 mm objective lenses. All are available in offset and straight through models. The goal of these scopes is to get most of the performance of the 77-85 mm scopes with a more easily portable instrument. They do not resolve at powers as high as the largest diameter scopes, nor do the admit as much light. But they perform quite a bit better than the 60 mm scopes, while remaining essentially as light and as compact as they are. Their prices are closer to those of the larger diameter scopes.

I have not tested them, but I would look harder at Swarovski (65mm), Zeiss (65mm) and Kowa (66mm) than at Leica (62mm). Leica's 62mm objective lens is not much larger than a 60 mm. The amount of light admitted is primarily a function of the square of the diameter of the lens. In scopes of the quality, which can be expected from both Swarovski and Zeiss and probably from Kowa, the  65-66 mm brands should more genuinely be intermediate between the 60 mm and 77-85 mm scopes than Leica's 62 mm. (Pentax does not have a 62-65 mm scope).

These new 62-66 mm scopes have a special appeal for the serious birder who is willing to spend a lot of money for a scope and also foresees that ease of portability will be a very important factor. They certainly are a preferable instrument for the birder who hikes significant distances with his scope and/or who makes frequent airplane trips with his scope.

The most fanatical hard core birders own both a 77-85 mm scope and a 62-65 mm scope. They use the former whenever portability is not a serious issue, have the latter for long hikes and frequent plane trips.

If you plan to spend a lot of money on a portable scope, you might as well spend a lot more on a high quality carbon tripod like the Gitzo Mountaineer ($482 at Eagle vs. $139 for a standard Bogen/Manfrotto assembly, plus at least $73 for a Bogen/Manfrotto micro fluid head for either). The Mountaineer is lighter and folds up to be shorter -- just what you need for hiking and easier airplane travel.

Advice #2: WHATEVER YOU CHOOSE, TRY IT OUT IN THE FIELD BEFORE YOU BUY IT!

Advice #3: I see you as a fairly price-conscious shopper for whom birding has not yet become important enough to spend $1500 to $2000 on a complete optical system. If I judge your dedication rightly, I suggest that you get a Bushnell Spacemaster with a 15 X 45 mm zoomlens or a Busnell Elite 15X45X60. For a tripod system, I would recommend a Bogen/Manfrotto assembly and fluid head or something comparable that is popular in Europe.

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri