Birding from London

Robert Fisher <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 6 Mar 2004 20:48:41 -0600

text/plain

Two people have asked the list for help birding while on trips to London this summer. One is going in mid-June. I forget when the other is going, but early July seems like it.

I cannot help directly, but I may be able to help in narrowing the issues down.

First of all, I used a book by John Gooders on bird finding in England. It gave me some idea where the hottest hot spots are. I originally thought of engaging a professional birding guide, of which there are several who advertise there services in Winging It. Eventually, however, a British birder whom I had guided around here put me in touch with a friend, Eddie Jones, of Norfolk, who guided me for two days of birding in Norfolk and Suffolk. I cannot offer Eddie Jones, but I can say a little about my experience, which was outstanding.

RESERVES: We went to two R.S.P.B. (Royal Society for the Protection of Birds) reserves, Cley, in Norfolk, and Minsmere, in Suffolk. Both reserves feature lakes and marshes, around which the R.S.P.B. has placed "hides." We would call a hide a "blind", but a British hide is nothing like an American blind. An American blind is usually a small struture, perhaps 10 feet wide, into which a half dozen people can get at one time. A British hide is a substantial structure the size of a small house, holding 20, 30 or perhaps 40 people at a time. Even though I went July 16th, not yet peak migration time, there were lots of people in most of the hides we went to. (Birding is big time in G.B., and there are lots of very "keen" birders there).

Most birding at reserves in Britain is done on foot. You stop at a headquarters, where you may need to pay a reasonable sum. Then you either walk from there or drive to a parking lot and walk. The trails are constructed so that you can enter the hides without disturbing the birds. You see some song birds on the trails and around the headquarters. The reserve (e.g. Minsmere) will probably also feature some trails through dickey bird habitat. (They have  habitats there with strage names like "heath" and "gorse.")

The R.S.P.B. sometimes manufactures shore bird habitat called "scrapes."

TYPES OF BIRDS: British song birds are tough. With a few exceptions, they are not as numerous or as easy to tick as American song birds. Like birds anywhere, they have specialized habitats, but it is difficult for a visitor to learn where these habitats are and how to find specific species in them. There are a few species, like Great Tit, Chaffinch, Robin and Blackbird that you are bound to get anywhere, along with lots of swifts overhead. But you can cover a fair amount of ordinary dickey bird habitat without getting much of a list. Woodpeckers are especially scarce. Eurasian warblers are very similar in appearance to one another. It is a whole lot easier to see and identify larger birds of the sort found around lakes and marshes.

I strongly recommend visiting a reserve that features marshes and lakes, if you can manage it. You will not only see larger birds, and the biggest variety of birds, that way. You will also encounter more birders and get a look at how birding is done in Great Britain, an equally valuable experience.

I have the impression that your best opportunities to bird from London are in Kent or in East Anglia (which includes Norfolk and Suffolk). To view information about R.S.P.B. reserves in England, go to http://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves/england/index.asp and navigate either to Southeast England or East Anglia.

TIMING: If you go in mid-June, you will be in the midst of the breeding season and at a slack time for migration. Early July will not be much different. There is a great deal of daylight in England at that time of year, however, so you can get a lot in in one day, if your energy holds up.

TRANSPORTATION: British roads are often narrow and winding. But the train system is great. The London tube system will take you amazing distances for no more than it costs to go one stop. If you decide to go a substantial distance (e.g. to Norfolk) without a guide, I recommend considering a train trip most of the way and renting a car near destination rather than driving from London. If you go to a reserve in the greater London area, you can probably get there by the tube.

If at all possible, get someone to guide you -- preferably someone who has a car and who knows how to drive on the left side of the road.  I belong to BIRDCHAT and can make inquiries on it for you. However, if you have friends, relatives or other contacts near London, you may want to ask them to help you find a guide. There are so many keen birders in England, anyone you know there should know a keen birder who would enjoy taking you out.

Good luck.

Bob Fisher
Independence, Missouri