]

:

LISTSERV Archives

MOBIRDS-L Home

MOBIRDS-L  February 2004, Week 1

MOBIRDS-L February 2004, Week 1

upcoming BAS field trips around KC area and beyond

Matt Gearheart <[log in to unmask]>

Matt Gearheart <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 5 Feb 2004 09:39:07 -0600

text/plain

BAS Field Trips
(February-April 2004)

Saturday, February 7th:  Burr Oak Woods with Shari Harden (816-229-3979 or [log in to unmask])  During this half-day field trip, Shari will be walking some of the trails and possibly venturing out to areas within Burr Oaks where there are no paved walkways and looking for wintering birds.  Species anticipated are White-crowned Sparrow, White-throated Sparrow, Harris Sparrow, Swamp Sparrow, possibly Lincoln's Sparrow, Fox Sparrow, Spotted Towhee, lingering kinglets or any other lingering migrants plus the regular wintering species.  Meet at 8:00 a.m. in the Burr Oak Woods main parking lot at the Visitors Center.  Bring field guides and binoculars.  Be sure to dress appropriately with warm footwear as there will be some light to moderate hiking.

Sunday, February 8th:  KC Wildlands Workday visit: www.kcwildlands.org for more information.

Saturday, February 14th:  Perry Lake with Matt Gearheart (913-568-4678 or [log in to unmask]).  Meet at 8:00am at the McDonald's on 6th Street in Lawrence.  We'll spend the day birding around the Lake and hiking some of the wooded areas and marshes.  Snack stops will be made, but plan to bring a lunch along, as well as your hiking footwear.

Saturday, February 21st:  Smithville Lake with Ed McCullough
(816-718-3861 or [log in to unmask]).  Meet at 8:00am at the Jerry Litton Center for a 1/2 birding around Smithville in search of waterfowl, grebes, loons, eagles and winter woodland species.  After a lunch break, we may visit Lake Contrary or Lake Jacomo.

Saturday, March 6th:  Clinton Reservoir with Dan Gish and the Topeka Audubon Society ([log in to unmask])  Meet at 8:00am at the Wakarusa Causeway off of Stull Road.  We will bird this area, the Bloomington Beach to view the Bald Eagle nest, the South boat ramp and the dam.  This will mainly be an auto trip, but be prepared for the weather and light hiking.

Tuesday, March 9th:  Jerry Smith Farm Woodcock Watch with Larry Rizzo and Roger McNeill (816-655-6254 x246 or [log in to unmask] and 913-226-3254 or [log in to unmask]). Come to our traditional Woodcock haunt to witness the fascinating courtship display of this bird.  Directions from Holmes Road:  Go East on 139th Street (the first road South of the Blue River Bridge), then go 3/4 mile to the park entrance on the left.  Call Larry or Roger during the day (after 12:00 noon) for time and confirmation -- this trip may be rescheduled on the 10th due to inclement or windy weather.

Saturday, March 13th:  Shelford Sanctuary with Ed McCullough and Larry Rizzo
(816-718-3861 or [log in to unmask] and 816-655-6254 x246 or [log in to unmask]).  Come visit Burrough's own Shelford Sanctuary, located in southern Miami County, KS, where we hope to encounter local resident Red-Shouldered Hawk, Pileated Woodpecker, Wild Turkey and other early migrants.  Wear comfortable shoes for hiking.  Snack stops will be made, but a sack lunch is recommended.  We may visit nearby Marias Des Cygne in the afternoon.  Contact Ed or Larry for meeting time and location.

Saturday, March 20th - Sunday, March 21st: Sandhill Cranes over Nebraska's Platte River with Mark Land and the Corinth WBC (913-381-4324 or [log in to unmask])
During this trip we expect to witness the millions of Sandhill Cranes, geese and ducks which migrate through this area each spring. We will meet Saturday in Grand Island to observe the Sandhill Crane migration, finishing the day as thousands of cranes return to the river at dusk. We will also visit some of the pothole region around Grand Island and Hastings that make this area so special. We will return Sunday afternoon. You will be responsible for your own travel, accommodations and food for this trip. Please contact Mark if you have questions.

Saturday, March 27th:  Sunshine Lake and Cooley Lake with Kristi Mayo (816-289-7828 or [log in to unmask])  Contact Kristi for meeting time and location.

Saturday, April 3rd:  Prairie Chickens at Taberville Prairie with Don Arney (816-931-8536 or [log in to unmask]).  Meet us at 5:30am for an early start at the McDonald's on 58 Highway, just West of 71 Highway.  We will start at the Taberville Prairie to look for Prairie Chickens booming on the leks and then move on to Schell-Osage and/or Four Rivers to look for waterfowl, shorebirds and other migrant species.  Bring a sack lunch and appropriate footwear for a prairie hike.

Saturday, April 10th:  BAS Annual Dinner  visit: www.burroughs.org  for more information

Saturday, April 17th:  KCPL Wetlands with Don Weiss (913-780-6588 or [log in to unmask]).  Meet Don at 7:00am at the McDonald's in Gardner, Kansas (exit of I-35).  We'll look for shorebirds and waterfowl.  This is a  day trip, with a possibility of visiting Hillsdale Lake in the afternoon.

Saturday, April 24th:  Bird Watching: El Grande Birding Fiesta at the Ernie Miller Nature Center 8:00am-12:00pm (Ages 6 & older - Children must be accompanied by parent or one adult chaperone per group of 5)  It's springtime so let's celebrate! Join us at Ernie Miller Park for a south of the border fiesta to welcome back hummingbirds, orioles, warblers, and other feathered friends from their winter vacation in Latin America. Take a guided bird hike through the park and learn the basics of bird watching. Participants may also visit bird-related information booths and children's activity stations at their leisure. See live birds of prey! Make a recycled bird feeder to take home, and find out how to attract birds to your yard. Learn some fun bird facts from world-renowned bird expert, Professor Thomas Turkey. In the event of rain the booths and stations will be moved indoors. Appropriate for school-age children and beginning bird-watchers. Great activity for small scout groups! For more information, contact Chris Pistole, Park Naturalist at (913) 764-8580 ext. 23. Free to the public in conjunction with Outdoor Kansas Kids' Day.

April 23, 24, 25th:  AMS Spring Meeting in West Plains, Missouri
visit: www.mobirds.org for more information.

April 30th-May 2nd:  KOS Spring Meeting in Washington, Kansas
visit:  www.ksbirds.org for more information.

May 28th-May 31st:  Northern Michigan - Kirtland's Warbler:  Ever see a Kirtland's Warbler?  BAS is sponsoring a trip to see this endangered gem of Michigan's jack pine forests.  We hope to also find other nesting woodland warblers and nesting marsh birds, such as the Yellow Rail and LeConte's Sparrow.  More information to come...

Saturday Morning Bird Walks:  Offered by the two Wild Bird Centers
        Corinth Square Store:  Third Saturday each month, 4046 West 83rd, Prairie Village, KS.  Meet at the store at 8:00am, bird for 2-3 hours, then return to the store.  (913-381-5633)
        Noland Road Store:  First and Third Saturdays each month, 4201 South Noland Road, Independence, MO.  Meet at the store at 7:30am, bird for 2-3 hours, then return to the store.  (816-478-9399)

Sierra Club Outings:  Visit: http://missouri.sierraclub.org/thb/2004Outings.htm for the 2004 schedule.

MORE INFORMATION:   For more information about one of our field trips or to volunteer to lead a field trip, you can contact our field trip coordinator, Matt Gearheart at 913-568-4678 or [log in to unmask]