Re: Qua work of art....

Sara Trevisan <[log in to unmask]>

T. S. Eliot Discussion forum.

Sun, 15 Feb 2004 17:45:43 +0100

text/plain

Thanks, Richard.
Indeed, I was able to understand Eliot's statements only through the reading
of a later book by Wilson Knight, where 'criticism' and 'interpretation' are
explained and clearly distinguished.
Criticism provides a judgement on merits, whereas interpretation attempts to
explain the work of art in the light of its own nature, employing external
reference, avoiding any discussions on merits.
As you can see, if Eliot's critic can only express remarks and give the
historical setting, he/she can both criticise and interpret. I seem to
understand Eliot simply wanted to keep some distance between his own sense
for 'interpretation' and the Romantic sense, which Goethe and Coleridge had
exploited by turning Hamlet into themselves (and vice versa). Also, I found
some helpful comments in Warren's book 'TS Eliot on Shakespeare', where the
author states Eliot
simply meant to deal with something else, though the subject of the essay is
Hamlet.
Yet, that WE really destroyed all my theories, for I instantly wondered who
Eliot was supposed to be within the whole scheme of criticism. Nancy's reply
was really clear.
I'm going to read Carta Da Vista... Although, in Italian, A Visiting Card
would be translated as Biglietto Da Visita. 'Biglietto' is the same as the
English 'card, ticket', whereas 'visita' is the same as the English 'visit'
(as in Prufrock). 'Vista' means 'sight'. Pound's rendering sounds rather
Spanish to my Italian ear... Did Pound speak Spanish?
Thanks again!
Sara