:

LISTSERV Archives

MOBIRDS-L Home

MOBIRDS-L  January 2004, Week 2

MOBIRDS-L January 2004, Week 2

Re: N. Shrike

[log in to unmask][log in to unmask], 9 Jan 2004 16:18:19 -0600234_us-ascii It must be tough to find bugs. I spotted a Brown Creeper on the ground
under the bird feeder. It was a surprise - I'd only seen them going up
the trees, gleaning from under the bark.

Ann Wethington
N Phelps Co42_9Jan200416:18:[log in to unmask] 1163 80 36_Birds at Smithville Lake, [log in to unmask], 9 Jan 2004 17:29:41 EST1578_US-ASCII After seeing what Kristi Mayo was seeing at Smithville Lake recently I
decided I better get down there and take a look. I birded from 8:15 AM until 2:30
PM. There were not very many "dicky" birds, but a lot of waterfowl and gulls. I
will just type the list as I observed the birds, so it is in chronological
order rather than taxonomic.

* indicates a year bird for me.

Red-tailed Hawk - 5
American Crow - 13
European Starling - 120
American Kestrel - 6
Canada Goose - 1000+
Bald Eagle - 25
*Ring-billed Gull - 60
Mallard - 200
*Hooded Merganser - 35
Snow Goose - 10
Common Goldeneye - 150
Common Merganser - 200
*Double-crested Cormorant - 4
Gadwall - 75
*American Coot - 21
*Pied-billed Grebe - 3
Blue Jay - 10
Red-bellied Woodpecker - 3
*Green-winged Teal - 2
*Brown-headed Cowbird - 8
Northern Cardinal - 11
House Sparrow - 12
Red-winged Blackbird - 1
Common Grackle - 1
Great Blue Heron - 1
*Herring Gull - 15
*Bonaparte's Gull - 4
American Tree Sparrow - 13
Northern Flicker (yellow-shafted) - 8
*Bufflehead - 1 male
Wild Turkey - 4 big toms (10 more just outside Plattsburg, MO)
Dark-eyed Junco - 10+
Eastern Bluebird - 5
Northern Harrier - 2
*Red-breasted Merganser - 2

Jo Ann and "crew" I am sorry you missed the Northern Shrike up here at St.
Joseph. I missed the loon which you got at Smithville. So does that make us
even?

Larry Lade [log in to unmask]
Saint Joseph, Buchanan County42_9Jan200417:29:[log in to unmask] 1244 37 16_Northern Goshawk13_Alex [log in to unmask], 9 Jan 2004 23:03:52 +0000375_- Dear All,
Around 4:35 this afternoon I may have seen a Northen Goshawk perched high up
in the largest tree behind the West Drive parking garage of the UMSL north
(main) campus. I didn't have my binoculars but it was the right size and
shape, and when it flew it was clearly a large accipiter. I've known
goshawks to stay around on occasion.
Brien Meilleur46_9Jan200423:03:[log in to unmask] 1282 51 18_MDC Survey at REDA23_Charlene and Jim [log in to unmask], 9 Jan 2004 17:16:09 -06001066_iso-8859-1 Those coming to Riverlands EDA this weekend, please make a point to go to the dam on the "MO side", stop and answer the survey that is being conducted by MDC.
This is to make sure that MDC knows how many birders come and how far they travel to Riverlands in the winter to look at MORE than the eagles.

ALSO......
Think about supporting the downtown restaurants at Alton (if you are so inclined and have the time/$), instead of the fast-food places.
- Seafood Escape - across from the Conagra Elevators one block West up Hwy 100 from the intersection of Hwy 100/67 & Broadway.
- My Just Desserts - up Broadway from the intersection of Hwy 100/Hwy 67 and Broadway. Good homemade pies, topped off with hot coffee. YUM!
- Karen's Tea Room - a little "froo-froo" for those in birding garb, but good coleslaw & sandwiches

As usual NO financial investment in any of the restaurants mentioned, yada, yada, yada.

Birds seen at REDA in another msg.

Gotta' go
Charlene Malone
St. Louis co.40_9Jan200417:16:[log in to unmask] 1334 71 18_REDA birds 1/10/0423_Charlene and Jim [log in to unmask], 9 Jan 2004 18:14:07 -06001505_iso-8859-1 Posting this for the out of towners that are coming to Riverlands.
Birding at REDAd?h

[log in to unmask][log in to unmask] 492 45 61_No Sightings - Passing of Helen Wuestenfeld, Masterful [log in to unmask], 8 Jan 2004 21:52:27 -0600897_iso-8859-1 Pardon if this has already been posted on the listserve.

Helen Wuestenfeld, co-founder and mainstay of the Great Rivers Chapter, Illinois Audubon Society for
more than 35 years passed away Tuesday Jan. 6 at her home in Jerseyville, IL. She was 84.

She led Saturday birding trips in Illinois and Missouri each week over the years - rain or shine. She
was an inspiration to all who accompanied her and learned to identify the rich diversity of birds in
Jersey, Green, and Calhoun counties in Illinois, and in St. Charles County in Mo.

Over the years she coordinated the Christmas Bird Counts, and Midwinter Bald Eagle Survey.

Helen will be sadly missed by all who came in touch with her.

Memorial services will be held at the First Presbyterian Church in Jerseyville at 11 a.m. Saturday.

Bob Freeman
Madison Co. IL
[log in to unmask]:52:[log in to unmask] 538 33 8_redpolls9_Kim [log in to unmask], 9 Jan 2004 07:00:31 -0600254_iso-8859-1 The Common redpolls were not seen yesterday Jan 8th.
I will watch today and report back this evening with directions. Seen or not seen you are more than welcome to come. There was one at a neighbor's feeder yesterday.
Thanks
Kim March41_9Jan200407:00:[log in to unmask] 572 32 8_redpolls9_Kim [log in to unmask], 9 Jan 2004 08:03:23 -0600153_iso-8859-1 It's here. Just seen one redpoll at 8:00. Our address is 32415 Juniper Pl. Macon, MO., Pone # 660-385-4685
Thanks
Kim March
Macon, MO41_9Jan200408:03:[log in to unmask] 605 73 65_Re: No Sightings - Passing of Helen Wuestenfeld, Masterful Birder14_Audrey [log in to unmask], 9 Jan 2004 09:35:03 -06001973_us-ascii Dear Bob;
That was a thoughtful good deed you did, writing this -this epitaph for Helen. It was also very well
written. I'm glad I didn't think to do it!!
Audrey.

bfreeman wrote:

> Pardon if this has already been posted on the listserve.
>
> Helen Wuestenfeld, co-founder and mainstay of the Great Rivers Chapter, Illinois Audubon Society for
> more than 35 years passed away Tuesday Jan. 6 at her home in Jerseyville, IL. She was 84.
>
> She led Saturday birding trips in Illinois and Missouri each week over the years - rain or shine. She
> was an inspiration to all who accompanied her and learned to identify the rich diversity of birds in
> Jersey, Green, and Calhoun counties in Illinois, and in St. Charles County in Mo.
>
> Over the years she coordinated the Christmas Bird Counts, and Midwinter Bald Eagle Survey.
>
> Helen will be sadly missed by all who came in touch with her.
>
> Memorial services will be held at the First Presbyterian Church in Jerseyville at 11 a.m. Saturday.
>
> Bob Freeman
> Madison Co. IL

> * SUBSCRIBE MOBIRDS-L your name *
> * to [log in to unmask] *
> y:

Wed, 14 Jan 2004 18:12:40 EST

text/plain

In a message dated 1/14/2004 2:04:27 PM Central Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Bob had to go to Savannah today (Wednesday 14th), and we went by the
> "shrike site" near Mud Lake, St. Joseph. We saw the bird from Crockett Rd, just a
> little north and east of Old Mud Lake (before you turn south and pass the
> green house with lots of white fencing).

That is exactly where I saw the Northern Shrike today. It was about 10:30 AM
when I saw it. I knew Jack Hilsabeck and Dr. John Rushin wanted to see it and
were going to be out looking for it. I gave Jack a call on my cell phone and
he, Tom Nagel, Dr. Leo Gallowary and Dr. John Rushin came to the above location
at about 11:00 AM. The bird had moved to the north just a little. I had to
leave soon after they arrived and I do not know if they got good looks at it or
not.