]

:

LISTSERV Archives

MOBIRDS-L Home

MOBIRDS-L  January 2004, Week 2

MOBIRDS-L January 2004, Week 2

COMAL 2003 - 2004 and the birder's paradox

Chadwick Rittenhouse <[log in to unmask]>

Chadwick Rittenhouse <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 12 Jan 2004 13:40:40 -0800

text/plain

Fellow Birders,

I have a few comments regarding COMAL that I would like to share with those who are interested...

First of all, let me offer my congratulations to all who participated (directly or vicariously) in COMAL 2003.  I am continually amazed by the stories that have resulted, be they about adventures, friendships, knowledge gained, personal experiences, or simply the competition itself.  I hope that COMAL, through MO Birds and many dedicated birders, continues to retain and attract new birdwatchers through the years.

What follows is my personal story.  Before I begin, I must offer some disclaimers.  These thoughts are my own, reflect my experience, and most certainly are not meant to offend anyone.  Everyone birds for different reasons, and no person's reasons are more right or wrong than another's.

This past year was my second (or third?) year participating in COMAL.  Each year, I begin with aspirations of reaching 200 birds, and each year I find myself falling a bit short.

Perhaps it's because I don't dedicate much time to birdwatching.  In fact, I only bird a few times a month and never enough during those critical months of migration to ever be competitive in COMAL.

Perhaps it's because I still have much to learn.  Those fleeting glimpses, that fragment of a song, what was that flitting through the trees?  A more experienced birdwatcher would identify with ease some of those birds that elude me.

Those are some good reasons, but I think there is another.  One reason, unseen at first, but once recognized is hard to ignore.  Perhaps it's because, over the last few years, a small but growing part of me keeps asking: What does my participation in COMAL do for the birds?

The (precious little) time I spend in the field, the money spent on field guides, optics, and gas, the side trips added to see new birds when the opportunity arises...In and of itself, it all sounds perfectly normal (for a birder).  But of late my guilt increases with each bird seen.  So much so that I have given a name to my situation: The Birder's Paradox.

The Birder's Paradox, simply put, states that the more you enjoy birdwatching, the more resources you invest into making the act itself more enjoyable.

This means that more resources are consumed, not only personal resources such as time, money and energy, but also more natural resources through purchasing more books, better optics, updating listing software, and consuming more gas to travel, etc. all in the act of birdwatching.  Unfortunately, somewhere down the line this translates into fewer resources for the birds.  Thousands, if not millions of acres of bird habitat are altered or destroyed every year not only consumed via birdwatching, but also in our daily lives.  Ironically, as our love for birds grows, so too does the potential that our love may eventually threaten their very existence!

I think there is a solution, at least one which works for me and my situation.  It's self-imposed, proactive, and meant to relieve my conscience.  It's my way of protecting what I love and ensuring that others after me will have the opportunity to experience the joy of birdwatching.

The solution is a sort of birder's tax, donation, or a bit of "tithe"-le seed for the birds.  It's sort of like a bird-a-thon, only applied to the whole year and I am the one both making the pledge and finding the birds.  The money will be donated to a local organization which supports the conservation and management of birds and their habitat.  By donating the money to a local organization, I like to think that I am helping all the birds I see when I am birdwatching.  It's my little way of saying "Thanks" and helping to ensure the birds will be there the next time I look for them.

Therefore, I pledge $0.25 for each COMAL 2004 bird, which will be donated to my local Audubon Society at year's end.  Although my donation in and of itself may not amount to much, it is what I can do to help at this time.

I would like to thank you for bearing with me through my monologue and I encourage you to spend a few moments thinking about why you bird.  It took me three years to reach this point and I'm not sure that I am yet where I want to be, but I think I'm on the right path.

This may not be the right step for you, but I hope I have encouraged you to find your path.

Best Regards,
Chadwick Rittenhouse
Ashland, Boone County, Missouri