COMAL 2003 Results

Susa Hazelwood <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 10 Jan 2004 13:57:04 -0600

text/plain

Many of you wrote eloquently about the reasons COMAL should continue. You mentioned things like making new friends, learning more about birds ... their habitat preferences, behaviors and migration patterns, getting acquainted with the diversity of habitat in Missouri, ... and the fun and challenge of it all. Those who might be road or record keeping weary were far out numbered by those who are ready to yet again take up the Challenge Of a Missouri Annual List (COMAL). I do hope you've been busy jotting down species seen in MO in 2004 as come the end of the month I'll once again ask for your name, city of residence and number of bird species seen in MO in January.

Following a recommendation from Josh Uffman and several others I'd like to expand COMAL. We're going to also run a friendly MoBirdSMO competition. What's MoBirdSMO you ask? "MoBirdSMO" stands for Monthly Birds Seen in Missouri. After January I'll ask each of you to report not only your annual total of bird species seen in Missouri in 2004, but also your number of bird species seen for the month. Josh's reasons for supporting this idea are
"1)  May result in higher number of participants per month as opposed to COMAL.  I am sure many can not dedicate a whole year to the annual challenge.  Many also seem to drop out through the year.
2)  Allows for people to jump into the game throughout the year ... versus COMAL where if you were new to MOBirds in the middle of the year, it may be to late to start the COMAL game.
3)  For those serious about keeping yearly list they are more than likely already keeping monthly list.
4)  Allows for 11 more opportunities to be the champion as opposed to COMAL.
5)  It will be A LOT cheaper to go all out for one month than ALL 12.

Are you willing to play both COMAL and MoBirdSMO?
Jack Hilsabeck wrote "It has been quite interesting reading about the chase for 300 birds from several of the members.  I think it takes a birder to realize how tough a goal that 300 different species is."

Patrick Harrison, who ended the year at 301, posted his end of the year COMAL thoughts as an open message to all MOBirds-L subscribers.

Joe Eades wrote in a note to me
"I ended the year at 301 (saw but did not count the Thomas Hill or Smithville "Clark's" Grebes).  I also saw 286 species within the St. Louis Area.  There were 7 additional species I saw within the St. Louis Area that I did not see in Missouri and one that was just 7 miles outside the sacred circle.  308/9 in my focus area.  I estimate that I birded 105 days and traveled about 40,000 miles in the state of Missouri and the St. Louis Area.  I was in the field sunrise to sunset virtually every non-working waking hour in 2004.

I am particularly indebted to Josh Uffman and Jim and Charlene Malone.  I am certain I would not have seen 300 without their help.  Josh was very generous sharing the results of his extensive research and planning.  I think Jim even pushed me around on my wheelchair a bit in late May.  Charlene never failed to call to let me know of various rarities.  I think Josh, Patrick and I all experienced a competitive push from each other.  Where is the "OFF" button?"

The amazing Josh Uffman wrote
"COMAL:  I ended the year with "303"  I started December removing the Aechmophorous grebe found at Smithville Lake that I was confidant was a Clark's at that time.  After much research, I can not say that there was anything to confirm it being a "Clark's Grebe"....I feel it was intermediate at best, but I think it may actually lean toward being a Western. Removing that bird put me back at 300. The final three COMAL birds seen in December were extremely tough birds to see and I had to work HARD to get them.  Here are the final three of the year.

Spotted Towhee-Bushwhacker CA
Pine Siskin-Busch CA
Prairie Falcon-Prairie SP

I have MANY people to thank for their help .... but without Joe Eades pushing me, and his and Tim Barksdale's advice, I do not think I would have made it to 300.  This year has been a lot of fun to say the least.  In efforts to stay married (just kidding, it was not that bad), I will not do this again for a while.  However, after all I have learned this year...I know I could get higher.  Maybe in another 5 or 10 years I will shoot for 315.

Although I will not be participating in any annual challenge next year I will still be birding."
--------------------------------------
The rest of us did not exceed 300. In fact, the next closest was Jim Malone at 281. But it's surprising just how many of us are over 200, even over 225, and even more amazing, over 250. Almost everyone managed to better their COMAL number from the previous year. I do believe we're helping each other be stronger birders. Our mutual support is encouraging more hours spent afield. I echo Anne Downing's reflections: "I would like to be more involved in the Important Bird Areas (IBA) program in Mo. I do feel that we all as amateur birders should recognize the importance of this endeavor for the future of birding in this state and do what we can to help the program.  COMAL has made us all aware of Mo. areas that are important and has indirectly added to our knowledge of  these many areas." If you have an area that you think is an Important Bird Area please nominate it for consideration. Information about the IBA program and a link to the nomination form can be found at http://www.mobirds.org/IBA.htm

CONGRATULATIONS one and all! We had an excellent year of birding in Missouri. Now for our COMAL 2003 Results

      NAME
     CITY
     DATE
     # SPECIES SEEN

      Kathleen Anderson
     Columbia
     12/31/03
     248

      Jim Arl
     Eureka
     12/01/03
     218

      Joyce Bathke
     Columbia
     12/31/03
     254

      Lisa Berger
     Springfield
     12/31/03
     252

      Judy Bergmann
     Silva
     12/31/03
     211

      Charley Burwick
     Springfield
     12/31/03
     259

      Will Chatfield-Taylor
     Lenexa, KS
     12/31/03
     176

      Frances Cramer
     St. Joseph

      Bean Lake Cabin
     12/31/03

      12/31/03
     166

      84

      Steve Dilks
     Linn
     12/31/03
     243

      Anne Downing
     Edina
     12/31/03
     257

      Kyle Driggers
     Liberty
     12/31/03
     267

      Barb Duncan
     Jefferson City
     12/31/03
     169

      Joe Eades
     St. Louis
     12/31/03
     301

      Susan Eaton
     Kirkwood
     12/31/03
     195

      Bob Fisher
     Independence
     12/31/03
     254

      Matt Gearheart
     Overland Park, KS
     12/31/03
     230

      Patrick Harrison
     Shelbyville
     12/31/03
     301

      Rhonda Harrison
     Shelbyville
     12/31/03
     165

      Donald Hays
     Union
     12/31/03
     197

      Susan Hazelwood
     Columbia
     12/31/03
     259

      Bonnie Heidy
     Columbia
     05/01/03
     141

      Larry Herbert
     Joplin
     12/31/03
     195

      Jim Hickner
     St. Louis
     12/02/03
     199 (all within 50 mi limit of St. Louis)

      Jack Hilsabeck
     St. Joseph
     12/31/03
     233