Re: Politics and Poetry

Nancy Gish <[log in to unmask]>

T. S. Eliot Discussion forum.

Wed, 3 Dec 2003 13:05:55 -0500

text/plain

Eliot's attempts to serve in WWI are well documented in his letters
of the time.  He wanted to be in specific parts of the military that
would provide him sufficient money to support Vivienne, and he also
had medical issues.  He was turned down, in any case, but the
details are easily found in the letters.

It is increasingly recognized by several critics that Eliot's poetry
during WWI can be seen as "war poetry" in important ways.  I
consider TWL, for example, a war poem rather than a post-war
poem and am writing an article to that effect.  It does, in fact,
reference the war in many ways, most obviously (but not only) by
the scene in the pub when Albert has been demobbed.  But as early
as Paul Fussell's THE GREAT WAR AND MODERN MEMORY, the
many war images were noted.
Nancy

Date sent:              Wed, 3 Dec 2003 12:21:08 -0500
From:                   [log in to unmask]
Subject:                Re: Politics and Poetry
To:                     [log in to unmask]

Well stated, as usual, Richard.

Not to quibble, but just to avoid confusion (and inform myself if I've
missed something), I believe your comments about Eliot attempting
to serve
"on his own terms" applies to WWI, at which time he was American
citizen
and therefore had little enough time for time to legitimately "run out"
on
him.  By WWII, he was a British subject and had about six years,
which is
rather too much time to run out on someone trying to serve.  Rather,
think by reason of his age and stature, he never seriously considered
serving in WWII, other than in a civil defense capacity (which he did,
as
you note).

If you did mean that he attempted to serve in a military capacity in WWII,
I'd be interested in hearing more about that.

Tom K