GERMAN-CFP-L December 2003

wig cfp's

Katrin Sieg <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 15 Dec 2003 15:43:37 -0500

text/plain

Women in German annual conference, October 2004, Gen. Butler State
Park, Kentucky.

2 General Sessions

Pre-20th-Century Panel
“Does History Matter?”

        This panel seeks to explore what place the study of history
and of pre-20th-century literature, culture, science and thought has
in contemporary feminist and/or queer theory and practice. We envision
papers that will speak to some of the following questions.

        In what ways can the study of history and the study of things
past

•       expand the parameters of feminist and/or queer scholarship
today?
•       help shape the future of feminist and/or queer scholarship as
a political project?
•       uncover some of the blind spots within feminist and/or queer
theory and practice?
•       help us reach a more nuanced understanding of the dynamics of
gender, sex, race, ethnicity and class?

        We welcome BOTH proposals that theorize these questions AND
proposals that demonstrate practically (for example by means of
textual analysis) how the exploration of pre-20th-century issues
contributes to feminist and/or queer knowledge production today.

        Please send 1-2-page abstracts by e-mail to each of the panel
organizers by March 15, 2004:

Katharina Altpeter-Jones
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
and
Jennifer Askey
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]

“Methodologies: Literary, Cultural, and Other”

        This panel seeks to expand and shift last year’s exploration
of interdisciplinarity by reflecting on the methodologies we have been
using – and could/should/would like to use in the future. What method
(ologie)s – from close reading techniques and post/structuralism
to “cultural studies” and beyond – have been shaping the study
of “things German” in the last decades? Where is our “discipline”
going in this regard? Which ways of looking at texts and/or cultural
artefacts are crucial for our – feminist, queer, anti-racial –
scholarly endeavours? What, if anything, constitutes
our “disciplinarity”? Where do we connect with, and disconnect from
other disciplines? What is methodologically innovative scholarship in
our field?

        Possible areas of investigation include:

•       the “literature – culture” issue: Where do we situate
ourselves in the debate over “literary analysis vs. cultural studies”?
To which degree does the study of, e.g., films and novels require
different forms of expertise? How important are the differences
between individual media for our analyses, and how important are the
overlaps? How do we, in our projects and careers, productively
navigate the vast terrain opened up by cultural studies?
•       The “texts vs. facts”-divide: Is the gap between literature
and sociology or biology more unbridgeable than that between, e.g.,
literature and theatre studies? Where do we connect to/draw on
methodologies associated with the (social and other) sciences? What
significance, if any, do issues of referentiality/links between texts
and experiences or histories have in our work? How do we negotiate
issues of referentiality and representation? And, vice versa: To what
degree do the sciences pick up on paradigms of representation, or,
more generally, the method(ologie)s of literary and cultural studies?
How significant will the “facts vs. texts”-divide be in 21st century
academia?

        Please send one-to-two page abstracts by March 15, 2004 to all
three organizers:
Claudia Breger
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
and
Ulrike Brisson
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
and
Monika Moyrer
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]

        Please note: This is the web-based panel. Completed papers
will be due August 31, 2004. “Methodologically” diverse forms of
presentation are encouraged.

“Transnational Feminism/s: Reading North with South”

        Now well established socially, culturally and politically,
European and US feminisms have remained implicitly delimited by a
metaphorical and physical North-South axis. At the same time,
these “mainstreamed” feminisms have limited impact within their own
hemisphere. This panel invites work that speaks to the potential
of “transnational feminism/s” for creating change globally and
locally, particularly from a feminist Germanist perspective. What
might such transnational critical practices look like in German
Studies? To what extent can transnational work in or outside of
institutional frameworks enable new modes of analysis and potential
for change? What forms do and might such work take? [For instance, in
how far are “third world” theories and practices useful for
rethinking “first world” concerns? Should feminists strive for
alliances based on difference rather than identity in order to link
global with local concerns most effectively? Might the recent
political climate offer feminists renewed possibilities for alliances
based on commonalities?] We welcome both theoretical approaches and
analyses of specific instances, phenomena, or texts that
raise “transnational” questions.

        Please send abstracts of approximately 250 words in an e-mail
(no attachments please) by March 15, 2004 to:

Jennifer Ruth Hosek
University of California, Berkeley
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
and
Elizabeth Mittman
Michigan State Universit
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]

“Beyond Marriage: Feminist Interventions”

        This panel will explore feminist interventions into dominant
discourses on the institution of marriage at a time when same-sex
unions hhave become reality in Germany but still remain hotly
contested in the U.S.

        We invite paper proposals that engage either historical and/or
contempoary German-language texts (literature, film,
popular/subcultural artifacts, mass media, etc.) that promote the
unmaking of marriage as a privileged institution and locate bliss
beyond the domain of institutionally sanctioned unions. Papers that
engage in cross-cultural, trans-historiccal and/or interdisciplinary
perspectives are especially welcome.

        Please send 1-2 page proposals by March 15, 2004 to both
organizers via e-mail:

Richard Langston
E-Mail: [log in to unmask]
and