trip to Quivera and Cheyenne Bottoms

Jean Leonatti <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 4 Nov 2003 20:01:02 -0600

text/plain

Three of us just returned from a 4-day trip to the Quivera/Cheyenne Bottoms
part of Kansas.  Thought some of you might enjoy hearing about our
adventure.  We arrived at Great Bend on Thursday evening and our first
surprise was a newspaper in the hotel lobby called "Wildlife Watching in the
Wetlands" - printed by the Great Bend Convention and Visitors Bureau. A fine
example of a commerce group realizing the economic value of birding to their
community.  It was a 12 page spread complete with detailed information on
Quivera, Cheyenne Bottoms and the Nature Conservancy property adjacent to
CB.  It included maps and birding checklist.

Friday morning we went straight to Cheyenne Bottoms as there had been a
Wednesday report on the internet about 3 Whooping Cranes.  We found no
cranes, but probably 100-200 American Avocets and an American Golden Plover
and a Black Scoter!  The Scoter was so close to the water's edge that you
could see her wing motion making ripples underwater.  We then spent the
afternoon at Quivera - finding several thousands of Sandhill Cranes.  We
found the bulk of them on private land, feeding down in a valley.  And as we
watched them, trying to determine if we saw a white head in their midst,
three separate pairs of Whooping Cranes began slowly circling over them and
then lightly settled down into the middle of the crane gathering.  It was so
cool!!!

Saturday morning we went back to Quivera at sunrise to watch the cranes head
off to feeding grounds and perhaps to get another view of the Whoopers.  The
refuge manager joined us as he needed to confirm the Whoopers for his
records.  What a difference a night makes!   A cold front had moved through,
and the manager now estimated that there were easily 100,000 Sandhill Cranes
present.  The waters were filled with Snow Geese (none had been there the
day before), Greater White Fronted and Canada Geese; ducks had at least
tripled, Pelicans had increased, and the Avocets were still present.  No
Whoopers.  The noise was overwhelming and delightful.

We asked the manager about a pelican we had observed with a broken wing.  He
said it was not a broken wing, it was West Nile virus.  He said that first
one of their wings droops severely, then they can't hold their head up and
have trouble swimming.  He had found about 50 dead so far with the disease.

After lunch we drove through the Nature Conservancy land and then back to
Cheyenne Bottoms.  I had not been aware of the Nature Conservancy land.
Both NC and CB were extremely dry; little or no water on NC and only one
pool with water at CB.  Despite the fact that only about 30 miles separate
Quivera from Cheyenne Bottoms, Quivera was full of water.  There was much
discussion about the lack of water in "the Ark" (local lingo for the
Arkansas River) that feeds CB.  We saw a Peregrine Falcon in a tree at NC,
who was soundly knocked off his perch by a BB Magpie.  Then while we were
studying a flock of blackbirds to find a Brewer's, the falcon made a very
dramatic return!

At CB, the birds had also dramatically increased.  Shorebird numbers and
waterfowl numbers up significantly. Snow geese had also made an overnight
appearance at CB. We had BB Plovers, Western Sandpipers, Dunlin, Stilt
Sandpipers, LB Dowitchers, Least Sandpipers, Pectoral Sandpipers, and the
ever-present Avocets.  Am. Pipits and Lapland Longspurs twittered overhead.
Several Kansas birders stopped by to help us with our identifications.  A
falcon made several passes at the shorebirds. It just made me wonder what
this place must look like at the height of migration!

Sunday we drove to Wilson Lake Reservoir in search of Mountain Bluebirds
that had previously been reported on the internet.  They showed up at the
last possible moment before we had to leave.  We then drove east on I-70 and
made a brief stop at Konza Prairie.  Unfortunately, it was drizzly and foggy
restricting our view.  Even with those poor conditions, the colors of the
dying prairie formed a mosaic of rust, purple, gold, red and every shade in
between.  We all sincerely wished we could see the sun shine on it just one
time!  Add that to the list of desired return trips!

Through the miracles of the internet (and good Columbia friends keeping us
informed), we spent the night at Smithville.  Just for future reference, the
Super 8 Motel in Smithville, MO has a computer with internet access in the
lobby -- allowing us to check on the latest sightings free of charge.  We
spent early Monday morning at Smithville looking for Pacific Loons.
Although we missed them, very happy to find one Red-throated Loon.  Then
drove to Thomas Hill for quick "look see" before returning to Columbia.

A couple of lessons learned:  1) Don't ever believe the weather forecast.
The predictions for Great Bend were for 70 degrees everyday, and only a 30%
chance of rain on Sunday;  the sun did not shine for 3 days and the
temperature never rose above 45 degrees!  2) This listserve and the Kansas
one are extremely helpful to any birder.  It can help you to maximize the
time you have, and put you in touch with local experts who are more than
happy to help you out!

Already dreaming of a return trip....
Jean Leonatti
Boone County, Columbia, MO