Re: OT or OT? Possible Perspectives

Nancy Gish <[log in to unmask]>

T. S. Eliot Discussion forum.

Mon, 6 Oct 2003 17:41:55 -0400

text/plain

OK, now I will draw on my head vituperation and vilification, but I see
nothing "Christian" in Eliot either, only posturing that did not require
him to behave any differently in any respect than he wanted or
always had.  It did not require of him goodness or generosity or
kindness or love of his neighbor or loyalty to those who loved him or
anything presumably called for by the originator of Christianity.

At least Jesse Jackson seems to try to act on his faith, however he
may fail to fulfill all expectations--which I do not deny.  But his belief
does seem to call for some kind of lived change.

I expect outrage.
Nancy

Date sent:              Mon, 6 Oct 2003 13:49:56 -0700
From:                   scott richardson <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: OT or OT? Possible Perspectives
To:                     [log in to unmask]

Carroll,

In American Protestant Christian circles OT usually means Old
Testament...The Christianity of TSE is certainly as distant and
different
to many modern practioners of the faith as the Old Testament is to
the
New. Christianity, both Evangelical and Ecumenical branches and
has so
intertwined itself with the American culture that it is irrelevant and
boring as hell to boot.

That the "Reverend" Pat Robertson can with a clear conscience
seek the
Republican nomination (and sincerely believe it is God's will) is a
testament to how far the religious right has fallen. Their anthem
could
read, "It's great to be a white upper middle class overly insured suburban
Republican christian." Notice my use of caps.

On the other hand, liberal denominations have so completly embraced
politically correct lingo that they (in my lowly view) now fail to even
remotely resemble the historic Christian faith in their teachings,
practices, and world view...I could substitute the "Reverend" Jesse
Jackson here and repeat my above Pat Robertson diatribe, but instead I'll
ask, dear listers, do you recall when Jesse baptized Mike Tyson a few
years ago? My, wasn't that a "life transforming" conversion? It only
served to transform Mike into as the Bible would say, "twofold the child
of hell that he was in the first place."

I'm reminded of the story of the medieval fellow who was given a
translation of the Gospel of Mark. Excited to hold the sacred text that
normally lay only in the hands of the clergy, he took it home and read it
from cover to cover in one setting. The next day he returned the book to
his friend a bit angry saying, "this book is not the Bible or else, we're
not Christians." He didn't recognize any of his people or his God in the
book he read...

But I do digress into a very mean spirited judgemental bashing of people
of faith (even though it's right on the money). That wasn't my original
purpose. TSE explored and sought with earnest diligence the true historic
Christian faith...The quest of a good hearted and intelligient person and
the faith he found are certainly worth study.

ciao,

Scott

        "Just friends? I don't think so." Another proud H/H shipper.