Re: Nesting Osprey in MO & DC

Joshua Uffman <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 23 Jul 2003 12:59:01 -0700

text/plain

Susan and others.....here is an article I had sent to
MoBirds a few weeks ago that discusses the Ospreys in
Jacksonvile from the MDC.

Pioneering ospreys branch out

The Missouri Department of Conservation's efforts to
bring ospreys back to the state are paying off as
birds branch out to new nesting locations.
(Missouri Dept. of Conservation photo)

Restoration efforts that began nearly a decade ago are
paying wild dividends.

JACKSONVILLE, Mo.-Call them Cingular, Nokia and
Motorola. These three osprey chicks growing up in a
unique location in northeastern Missouri are the
latest characters in a saga that began nearly a decade
ago. The fluffy white birds are pioneers of sorts,
staking out new territory in more ways than one.

Senior Conservation Agent Tom Skinner was surprised
when he spotted an osprey flying around a
cellular-telephone transmission tower a few weeks ago.
The tower was within sight of Highway 63, just a mile
or so south of Jacksonville.

Skinner was surprised for several reasons. For one
thing, ospreys' seasonal migrations normally bring
them through Missouri in the spring and fall. Before
the turn of the 20th century, ospreys were common
summer residents of the state. However, pollution and
indiscriminate killing of birds of prey eliminated
them from Missouri. With no nesting birds in the
Show-Me State, summer sightings became rare.

Ospreys are serious home-bodies. When they grow old
enough to raise families of their own, they set up
housekeeping close to where they were hatched. This
stay-at-home habit means that once eliminated from an
area, ospreys are unlikely to return without a helping
hand.

The Missouri Department of Conservation provided that
helping hand, bringing young ospreys from other states
between 1994 and 1998 and raising them here in hopes
they would imprint on their new homes and return to
nest.

Skinner worked on the osprey reintroduction. He knew
the nearest place where ospreys had been reintroduced
was Thomas Hill Reservoir. That's about 8 miles west
of Jacksonville.

Skinner knew something was up, so to speak, when he
spied the ospreys around the cell phone tower. Any
osprey hanging around Missouri in the summer had to be
working on a nest. Skinner checked the tower as he
traversed Highway 63 in his daily rounds. It wasn't
long before he spotted the original bird and its mate
making a pile of sticks atop the telephone tower. A
few weeks later the female osprey was sitting on the
nest, incubating eggs.

The location is a bit far from Thomas Hill Reservoir,
but chances are good that one or both the
tower-nesting birds were reared in a protective cage
at the reservoir. A private lake about two miles from
the nest probably is a regular fishing destination for
the two adults feeding a hungry family.

"There are three chicks in there now, near as I can
tell," said Skinner. "They jostle around, so it's a
little hard to tell. It's really cool to watch the
adults bringing food for the little ones."

The ospreys' willingness to branch out from the
original release site is encouraging news for
Missourians who place a high value on wildlife
diversity. As ospreys released by the Conservation
Department disperse and multiply, so do opportunities
to see these symbols of independence and freedom.

Ospreys are brown and grey-speckled with wingspans of
four to six feet when fully grown. That is bigger than
hawks commonly seen in Missouri but smaller than
eagles. The birds have white heads with dark stripes
running from the eye to the nape of the neck. In
flight, their light-colored wings show a pronounced
crook and a dark spot at the wrist.

Other osprey reintroduction areas included Mark Twain
Lake near Hannibal, Pony Express Lake near St. Joseph,
Montrose Lake near Clinton and Truman Lake at Warsaw.
If you visit these areas in the summer, cast a glance
skyward now and then. You might catch a glimpse of the
dividends accruing from the Conservation Department's
restoration work.

- Jim Low -

--- "Hazelwood, Susan" <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:
> Dr. David Witten phoned yesterday (my apologies for
> the delay in posting but life side-tracked me) and
> asked me to relay to birders the fact that there are
> a pair of osprey occupying a nest located on a
> cellular tower within 200-300 yds of Hwy 63 on the
> east side of the road 1/2 mile south of
> Jacksonville, Randolph County. The osprey stayed
> close to the nest. Dr. Witten was unable to see if
> there were young in the nest.
>
> It seems like I recall Bob Fisher mentioning nesting
> Osprey at Montrose Lake. Are there other nesting
> Osprey in MO? Do we know if the other nests have
> brought off young of the year?
>
> I was in Washington, DC last Thursday and Friday. On
> the metro ride (yellow line) from the airport into
> the city we went above ground and I was able to
> observe a pair of Osprey near their nest on the
> adjoining rusty bridge over the Potomac. There were
> two chicks in that nest who had pretty well lost
> their down and were sporting the plumage of the
> adult bird although they were still much smaller in
> size. I wonder if young here would be of comparable
> size?
>
> Susan
> Susan Hazelwood
> Columbia, Boone County, MO