Re: Swans

Ann Johnson <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 11 Jul 2003 23:44:03 -0500

text/plain

For anyone who is interested, Iowa began accepting Trumpeter
Swan records in 1994, one year after our reintroduction
began.  http://www.iowabirds.org/iou/1994.asp  (Note that
there are two references to the swans in this report.)  The
records that were evaluated were obviously not of Iowa
stocked birds and we kind of wanted to get ahead of that
curve.

Much of our rationale was based on evidence that at least
some of our birds had come from Lacreek NWR in South Dakota
where reintroduction began in 1960 and continued until 1962.
That population certainly seems to be stable after forty
years as they are succesfully nesting in the sandhills of
Nebraska.  Our western birds at least are a logical
entension of the SD/NE group although certainly some
identifiable individuals have come from Minnesota and
Wisconsin as well.  I remember the discussion well and we
finally concluded that while not every individual bird was
"countable", the species as a whole could no longer be
considered extirpated from the state.  We left Iowa birders
with the caveat that it was up to the individual to make the
countability determination for themselves, but we were
interested in any reports.

Bob's right, there are errors either way in terms of
"countability", but the monitoring of numbers is pretty
interesting no matter what the origin of a particular bird.

Ann Johnson
Norwalk, IA
4126.89N  9334.71W
http://www.ajendeavors.com