Re: Awareness

Carrol Cox <[log in to unmask]>

T. S. Eliot Discussion forum.

Sun, 29 Jun 2003 17:51:44 -0500

text/plain

Peter Montgomery wrote:

> This is not meant as a challenge, but simply as a discussion
> point, to help Sara. It is a genuine question I have:
>
> How does one become conscious of something,
> if one does not perceive it?

I am aware right now of warmth in the air in Bloomington IL, though
since I'm sitting in an air-conditioned house I am certainly not
perceiving it. I am also aware and highly conscious of an indefinitely
many relationships (social and physical) which I have not perceived and
which neither I nor anyone else is ever going to perceive. There is an
extreme form of positivism which holds that one cannot have  knowledge
(and certainly consciousness) of anything that one cannot perceive --
that was the basis on which the physicist Mach a century ago denied the
existence of atoms. The belt I am wearing is a token of a huge complex
of relationships including some rancher who raised the cattle, the iron
miner who mined the iron which went into the machines which processed
the bread which the ranchers employee's wore, and so on and so forth
through a nearly infinite web of such relations. We can be aware of them
without without  either perceiving (which is impossible) any of them or
even knowing most of them.

I am aware that X and Y post to this list, though I never perceive any
of their posts since my filter sends them direct to the trash folder.

And Eliot might have at some time or another observed a woman leaning on
an area gate, but he certainly did not perceive a _housewife_ so leaning
because that is a relationship, not a physical fact, and so cannot be
observed. And there is no conceivable way he could have perceived that
(a) they had souls and (b) those souls were damp. As the old cliche
goes, none of us would recognize a damp soul if it bit us on the nose.

Carrol

Carrol

 Surely there