Re: Annotation

Peter Montgomery <[log in to unmask]>

T. S. Eliot Discussion forum.

Tue, 13 May 2003 19:26:19 -0700

text/plain

Rick,
   I think a lot depends on where your creative bent wants to take you,
as long as there is some kind of a clear path or set of paths and a
reasonably standard rubric which creates a degree of predicatability,
esp. for the new comer.
   A special module for the beginner to use for practise might be of value
if you have the energy/interest for it.
   Good websites have a lot to do with depending on the viewer's
willingness to participate in the creativity of one's structure,
and there use his imagination to intuit what you are up to.
Other than the interested beginner, I suppose one can distinguish the
person on a deliberate quest for specific information, and the
person focussed generally on the topic for some practical
purposes as well as out of interest. Also, there would be the casual
or serendipitous explorer.
    If your interest is in setting up a good, interesting, easily
navigable information source, then a good plan of the info you
want to include might be the best place to start.
    If you are going beyond that, or in a more viewer first
direction, whereby the viewer can go with or without you
while the evening is laid out against the sky, then you are
venturing into a cybernetic relative of Joyce's ULLYSSES, I venture
to say. Should you want to go in such a direction, then you
may wish to keep in mind McLuhan's dictum about instant
response creating involvement in depth. Under such circumstances,
you might, at the presentation or entry level want to use a
map of TWL, rather than structuring the whole thing linearly
on the organisation of the poem. An intereactive map could
let a specific seeker hone in directly on the desired element,
and still let the curious mind explore with random access,
whatever looks attractive. Somehow I get the feeling that
random access is a mode that deserves VERY careful attention these
days.

So those are my random, bare, unthoughtout, intuitive musings
on your valuable pursuit. I encourage you strongly to go
at it as you will, and to continue to bug us with your
questions, &c.

I hope others will endeavour to supply you with postive mentations
from their considerable resources.

Positively,
Peter.

Cheers,