Font:

Monospaced Font

LISTSERV Archives

TSE Home

TSE  April 2003

TSE April 2003

OT--MARGARET ATWOOD: A Canadian Writes to America

Nancy Gish <[log in to unmask]>

T. S. Eliot Discussion forum.

Mon, 7 Apr 2003 21:30:21 -0400

text/plain

>What Happened To America?
>A Letter, A Lament
>
>Margaret Atwood studied American literature, among other things, at
>Radcliffe and Harvard in the 1960s. She is the author of 10 novels. Her
>11th, Oryx and Crake, will be published in May 2003.
>
>Editor's Note: This essay orginally appeared in the April 14, 2003 issue
>of The Nation, and is reprinted with permission of the author.
>
>Dear America:
>
>This is a difficult letter to write, because I'm no longer sure who you
>are.
>
>Some of you may be having the same trouble. I thought I knew you: We'd
>become well acquainted over the past 55 years. You were the Mickey Mouse
>and Donald Duck comic books I read in the late 1940s. You were the radio
>shows -- Jack Benny, Our Miss Brooks. You were the music I sang and
>danced to: the Andrews Sisters, Ella Fitzgerald, the Platters, Elvis. You
>were a ton of fun.
>
>You wrote some of my favourite books. You created Huckleberry Finn, and
>Hawkeye, and Beth and Jo in Little Women, courageous in their different
>ways. Later, you were my beloved Thoreau, father of environmentalism,
>witness to individual conscience; and Walt Whitman, singer of the great
>Republic; and Emily Dickinson, keeper of the private soul. You were
>Hammett and Chandler, heroic walkers of mean streets; even later, you
>were the amazing trio, Hemingway, Fitzgerald and Faulkner, who traced the
>dark labyrinths of your hidden heart. You were Sinclair Lewis and Arthur
>Miller, who, with their own American idealism, went after the sham in
>you, because they thought you could do better.
>
>You were Marlon Brando in On The Waterfront, you were Humphrey Bogart in
>Key Largo, you were Lillian Gish in Night of the Hunter. You stood up for
> freedom, honesty and justice; you protected the innocent. I believed
>most of that. I think you did, too. It seemed true at the time.
>
>You put God on the money, though, even then. You had a way of thinking
>that the things of Caesar were the same as the things of God: That gave
>you self-confidence. You have always wanted to be a city upon a hill, a
>light to all nations, and for a while you were. Give me your tired, your
>poor, you sang, and for a while you meant it.
>
>We've always been close, you and us. History, that old entangler, has
>twisted us together since the early 17th century. Some of us used to be
>you; some of us want to be you; some of you used to be us. You are not
>only our neighbours: In many cases -- mine, for instance -- you are also
>our blood relations, our colleagues and our personal friends. But
>although we've had a ringside seat, we've never understood you
>completely, up here north of the 49th parallel.
>
>We're like Romanized Gauls -- look like Romans, dress like Romans, but
>aren't Romans -- peering over the wall at the real Romans. What are they
> [...]

Debra J. Thomas
Director of Public Relations
Jesse H. Jones Graduate School of Management
Rice University
P.O. Box 2932
Houston, Texas 77252-2932

v 713-348-6343