Prairie Chicken Viewing

Edge Wade <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 27 Mar 2003 08:01:13 -0600

text/plain

In 2002, there was extensive discussion of this topic on Mobirds.  I am
repeating two messages.  Yes, this is long; prairie chicken population
is plummeting.  THINK.

The first is by Roger McNeill.  Please read this and THINK when you are
near these birds.

The second is one I sent.  It includes directions to the Hi Lonesome lek.

Edge Wade
Missouri Bird Alert compiler

 From Roger McNeill:
Greater Prairie Chickens:   Guidelines for viewing.

Spring is the best time to view prairie chickens, as males come to the
booming grounds to display.  However, prairie chickens are struggling to
survive over most of their range in Missouri, due to habitat
deficiencies and increased predator pressures.  Our prairie chickens
were placed on the state endangered species list in 1998, and are now
the focus of increased efforts by Grasslands Coalition partners, for
habitat improvements.   Rapidly decreasing bird numbers over most of the
range have left many leks unstable and more susceptible to disturbance
from predators as well as members of their admiring public.  Birders
should keep in mind the following points while watching or looking for
prairie chickens:

1. Look for leks that can be viewed from a vehicle.  A call to the El
Dorado Springs Department of Conservation office is the best way to get
current information on where birds can be seen from the road.  Call or
e-mail Sharron Gough,  (417) 876-5226,
[log in to unmask]    Or contact the Department for
information on special viewing opportunities.  These are occasionally
available through the Department of Natural Resources, Department of
Conservation or The Nature Conservancy, on public prairies.

2. Advancing towards a lek on foot can be very disruptive of the
breeding rituals.  Though the males may continue to boom, the
more-cautious females in the area will likely be deterred from visiting
the lek.   Frequent disturbances to a lek can and have resulted in
disruption of breeding and lek abandonment.

3.    Hens typically look for nest sites within a mile of the booming
ground.  For this reason, it is best to stay off the prairie or other
likely nesting areas within the vicinity of the lek between April 1 and
April 20.  Once a hen has initiated the nest, she will typically stick
with it.  But during the initiation period, sight-seeing humans can be a
great liability to nest establishment.

4. When viewing from a vehicle be aware that sudden movements,
especially when you are silhouetted against the sun, will distract
birds.  Sunlight reflecting off binoculars will distract them.  Clanking
cameras & binoculars, zippers, velcro fasteners, talking.....all foreign
noises will be disruptive.  Have equipment in place before you arrive on
site.  Turn off the vehicle and be still until you leave.

5. Remember you are just one of the many pressures these birds will see.
Heavy predator traffic, other viewers, bad weather and lack of adequate
habitat all take their toll.  Be as low-key as possible, but enjoy the
birds.....they are one of a kind.

2002 Message from Edge Wade:
View a lek from the road.  The lek on private land at the northwest
corner of the Hi Lonesome Prairie CA offers a great view from a
little-traveled road.  Just pull to one side, get out, set up scopes if
you want (can see them just fine with binocs), and enjoy the show.

The Greater Prairie-chickens have been seen early in the morning (6:30)
and in the late afternoon/early evening--best show in morning.

To reach this place:

Go south from Sedalia on US 65.  After Hwy. 52 goes west, Rt. P will
cross in about 2.25 miles.  Almost exactly 1 mile south of Rt. P is a
gravel road (#950, but very difficult to see a sign).  You turn left
(east) across 65 onto this road.  If you miss it (as I did Sunday, even
knowing where it is), there is another cross-over only one mile further
south.

Go 2 miles east on 950.  Watch the north side.  The Prairie-chickens
will be seen silhouetted on a slight rise in a pasture.  If you come to
a gravel
road entering on your right (south) and Conservation Area signs, you
have overshot by 1/4 to 1/2 mile.

Enjoy the show!  Please restrict people to the road and urge quiet.
Chickens know people are watching, but are o.k. with it if there is not
too much noise or excessive movement.  Make sure cars are to the side of
the road as there is some local traffic.

Columbia Audubon has conducted an annual trip to this site (the lek near
Hi-Lonesome) for at least 5 years.  To date, we have not felt that our
presence
has deterred the birds.  We stop the cars on the road and quietly get
out.  The field behind us is not p-c territory, so we are not
interferring with approaches or departures from the lek.  A couple of
times, we have gone further down the road, parked and walked back.

We have watched hens approach here and at a subsidiary lek on the MDC
side
further down the road (this lek no longer active, perhaps because the
grass has been allowed to overgrow the site).  Very rarely does male or
female even look our way, and then is only a passing glance, with
activity not slowed.

At the distance from which we are viewing, low voice speech is not a
problem.
We do instruct all at the rendezvous point to close doors gently, coming
and
going.  We usually proceed down the road to the turn-around at the T
junciton
to the east before closing doors firmly.