NOT OT - Gropius

Gunnar Jauch <[log in to unmask]>

T. S. Eliot Discussion forum.

Wed, 12 Feb 2003 21:46:43 +0100

text/plain

am 12.2.2003 20:17 Uhr schrieb Gunnar Jauch unter [log in to unmask]:

> am 12.2.2003 16:13 Uhr schrieb Rickard A. Parker unter
>
>> When Gunnar came to visit I was hoping that we could manage a trip to
>> Walter Gropius' own house in nearby Lincoln but something came up
>> (literally) that kept us from it.
>

> That was a funny one,
> dear Rick!
>
> You can say THAT again -- thought I was gonna croak off.
> How embarrassing to mess up one's host's bathroom...
>
> I deplore missing the G house.

I almost forget:

As most of you surely will know, there's a comedian, a former Harvard prof
of mathematics, whose lyrics I've memorized in my youth.

There's one song on Alma Mahler Werfel Gropius I like. Let's here it from
Tom:

Last December 13th, there appeared in the newspapers the juiciest, spiciest,
raciest obituary that has ever been my pleasure to read. It was that of a
lady name Alma Mahler Gropius Werfel who had, in her lifetime, managed to
acquire as lovers practically all of the top creative men in central Europe,
and, among these lovers, who were listed in the obituary, by the way, which
was what made it so interesting, there were three whom she went so far as to
marry. One of the leading composers of the day: Gustav Mahler, composer of
Das Lied von der Erde and other light classics. One of the leading
architects: Walter Gropius of the Bauhaus school of design. And one of the
leading writers: Franz Werfel, author of the song of Bernadette and other
masterpieces. It's people like that who make you realize how little you've
accomplished. It is a sobering thought, for example, that when Mozart was my
age he had been dead for two years. It seemed to me, I'm reading this
obituary, that the story of Alma was the stuff of which ballads should be
made so here is one.

The loveliest girl in Vienna
Was Alma, the smartest as well.
Once you picked her up on your antenna,
You'd never be free of her spell.

Her lovers were many and varied,
From the day she began her -- beguine.
There were three famous ones whom she married,
And God knows how many between.

Alma, tell us!
All modern women are jealous.
Which of your magical wands
Got you Gustav and Walter and Franz?

The first one she married was Mahler,
Whose buddies all knew him as Gustav.
And each time he saw her he'd holler:
"Ach, that is the fraulein I moost have!"

Their marriage, however, was murder.
He'd scream to the heavens above,
"I'm writing Das Lied von der Erde,
And she only vants to make loffe!"

Alma, tell us!
All modern women are jealous.
You should have a statue in bronze
For bagging Gustav and Walter and Franz.

While married to Gus, she met Gropius,
And soon she was swinging with Walter.
Gus died, and her tear drops were copious.
She cried all the way to the altar.

But he would work late at the Bauhaus,
And only came home now and then.
She said, "What am I running? A chow house?
It's time to change parters again!"

Alma, tell us!
All modern women are jealous.
Though you didn't even use Ponds,