From: "Peter.Beicken" <[log in to unmask]>
This is to invite members of gsa (or those willing to join the German
Studies Association) to submit a proposal for presenting a paper at this
year's gsa conference in New Orleans (9/18-9/21) on a panel organized by
Peter Beicken (University of Maryland, College Park):
CINEMATIC FLANERIE: THE CAMERA GAZING AT THE CITY
1. Margit Grieb (Univ. of Florida) will present a paper on a topic
dealing with Wenders' "Himmel" and "Bis ans Ende der Welt" and Tykwer's
"Lola rennt" and examining the Berlin flaneur, the global flaneur, and
the virtual flaneur.
2. Peter Beicken , the organizer, will investigate cinematic flanerie
in films (such as Murnau's "Der letzte Mann," Lang's "Metropolis,"
Ruttmann's "Berlin, Die Sinfonie der Grossstadt," Helke Sander's
"Redupers," and Hubertus Siegert's "Berlin Babylon" to explore
theoretical and filmic aspects of cinematic flanerie.
3. The third panel position is still open at this time and we invite
anyone interested in this topic to apply for this spot. The topic is
open, but something on German film and, possibly, Berlin would be most
4. Keith Bullivant (UFL) will be the moderator
5. Nora Alter (UFL) will be respondent.
6. Deadline for submission of the panel proposal (and the individual
proposals; please check the gsa website for further details,: g-s-a.org)
is February 15. Important item to be sent with the submission of
proposal to the organizer are:
a) your title, affiliation, address,telephone #s, Fax #s, email
address, brief cv (1-2 pages)
b) title and abstract of your paper, brief (1-2 pages) cv for your
individual paper proposal (to be sent to gsa in addition to the panel
Please let us hear from you a.s.a.p. Thank you, Peter Beicken