]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

TSE Home

TSE  December 2002

TSE December 2002

Re: OT or otiose, take your pick:Re: Some language is beyond the pale

Carrol Cox <[log in to unmask]>

T. S. Eliot Discussion forum.

Fri, 13 Dec 2002 23:13:33 -0600

text/plain

Peter Montgomery wrote:

> Carrol must be feeling relieved that her post on 9/11 has been superceded.

9/11? You mean my post on Palestine?

Not at all. I stand completely by my second post and by the substance
but not the rhetoric (for reasons explained in the second post) of the
first post on the topic. I did not mention the matter further because a
thorough discussion of this issue would (even by my elastic standards)
simply have been truly inconsistent with the list's parameters. But I
have come upon an interesting statement, which I here forward.

Carrol

http://vancouver.indymedia.org/news/2002/12/24728.php

Delivered by Rabbi Mordechi Weberman Under the auspices of the
Palestine  Right of Return Coalition (Al-Awda NY/NJ), at the march in
front of the  Israeli Consulate, on Friday July 26, 2002

There are those who ask us why we march with the Palestinians. Why do
we  raise the Palestinian flag? Why do we support the Palestinian cause?

"You are Jews!" they tell us. What are you doing?

And our response, which I'd like to share with you this afternoon, is
very  simple.

IT IS PRECISELY BECAUSE WE ARE JEWS THAT WE MARCH WITH THE PALESTINIANS
AND  RAISE THEIR FLAG!

IT IS PRECISELY BECAUSE WE ARE JEWS THAT WE DEMAND THAT THE PALESTINIAN
PEOPLES BE RETURNED TO THEIR HOMES AND PROPERTIES!

Yes, in our Torah we are commanded to be fair. We are called upon to
pursue  justice. And, what could be more unjust then the century old
attempt of the  Zionist movement to invade an other people's land, to
drive them out and  steal their property?

The early Zionists proclaimed that they were a people without a land
going  to a land without a people.

Innocent sounding words.

But utterly and totally untrue.

Palestine was a land with a people. A people that were developing a
national consciousness.

We have no doubt that would Jewish refugees, have come to Palestine not
with the intention of dominating, not with the intention of making a
Jewish  state, not with the intention of dispossessing, not with the
intention of  depriving the Palestinians of their basic rights, that
they would have been  welcomed by the Palestinians, with the same
hospitality that Islamic  peoples have shown Jews throughout history.
And we would have lived  together as Jews and Muslims lived before in
Palestine in peace and harmony.

To our Islamic and Palestinian friends around the world, please hear
our  message --

There are Jews around the world who support your cause. And when we
support  your cause we do not mean some partition scheme proposed in
1947 by a UN  that had no right to offer it.

When we say support your cause we do not mean the cut off and cut up
pieces  of the West Bank offered by Barak at Camp David together with
justice for  less than 10 % of the refugees.

We do not mean anything other than returning the entire land, including
to  Jerusalem to Palestinian sovereignty!

At that point justice demands that the Palestinian people should decide
if  and how many Jews should remain in the Land.

This is the only path to true reconciliation.

But we demand yet more. WE demand that in returning the land back to
its  rightful owners we have not yet done enough. There should be an
apology to  the Palestinian people which is clear and precise. Zionism
did you wrong.  Zionism stole your homes. Zionism stole your land.

By so proclaiming we proclaim before the world that we are the people
of  the Torah, that our faith demands that we be honest and fair and
good and  kind.

We have attended hundreds of pro Palestinian rallies over the years and
everywhere we go the leaders and audience greet us with the warmth of
Middle Eastern hospitality. What a lie it is to say that Palestinians in
particular or Muslims in general hate Jews. You hate injustice. Not
Jews.

Fear not my fiends. Evil cannot long triumph. The Zionist nightmare is
at  its end. It is exhausted. Its latest brutalities are the death
rattle of  the terminally ill.

We will yet both live to see the day when Jew and Palestinian will
embrace  in peace under the Palestinian flag in Jerusalem.

And ultimately when mankind's Redeemer will come the sufferings of the
present will long be forgotten in the blessings of the future.

www.jewishfriendspalestine.org