Re: Alaska Cruise

Edge Wade <[log in to unmask]>

MO Wild Bird Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 27 Sep 2002 08:46:09 -0500

text/plain

Ann,
Here is a copy of what I've sent to others.  It's long, but I don't know
how to cover it any shorter.  I'm open to any questions.
Edge

ALASKA CRUISE 2003

I've checked the Holland America Alaska Cruise Catalog and I've checked
my birding records.  Below is my selection of the best cruise for our
purposes and recommendations for the many decisions that come with it.

You may obtain a cruise catalog by asking for one at
www.hollandamerica.com

or calling 1-877-724-5425

or stopping by Canturbury Travel and Tiger Travel Associates, 27 S 10th
St., Columbia (next to Harpo's) and asking for a copy from the desk of
Paula Thomas, who will be coordinating our trip--Paula is unavailable
until Oct 14, but catalogs are on her destk0

or pick one up at any travel agency (no obligation to an agency for
picking up a catalog)

You can check my comments, etc., by looking at the page indicated.

General Comments for first-time cruisers (feel free to ask additional
quesitons)
On cruises, all food is included in your fare (including room service).
Coffee, tea, lemonade are included in the fare.  Soft drinks and liquor
are not included (and are not cheap).

Once on board, you are in a "cashless" society.  This means, shortly
after boarding, you go to the main desk/cashier and have an imprint made
of your credit card.  When purchasing soft drink/liquor, any item from
the shops on board (toothpaste to crystal), buying copies of the many
photos of you and others, booking shore excursion, etc., you are asked
to show your shipboard i.d. and the cost is put on your charge, to be
billed via your credit card.

   There are laundry rooms with pay-to-use washers/dryers--the only need
for cash (quarters).  There is also cleaning service (for fees billed on
credit card).

Cruise   Page 72/73:
Holland America "Glacier Discovery" aboard the ms. Ryndam northbound
(Vancouver to Seward) via Hubbard Glacier.

Sailing Date:  June 27, 2003

Itinerary:
Fri  June 27             Vancouver, BC sailing 5 p.m.
Sat June 28            cruising the Insade Passage (Queen Charlotte
Strait, etc.)
Sun June 29            Ketchikan, Alaska
Mon June 30           Sitka, Alaska
Tue July 1              Juneau, Alaska
Wed July 2              Haines, Alaska (excursions--extra $--to Skagway
Thur July 3              Scenic cruising Yakutat Bay and Hubbard Glacier
Fri     July 4             Seward, Alaska--transfer by coach (bus) to
Anchorage

Most/all birders would probably want to add the following (see bird list
for reason why)  Page 76:
Kenai Fjords National Park Cruise:  A dayboat (100 footer) from Seward
for "a wildlife and glacier cruise in the "Denali" of marine
wildlife--Kenai Fjords National Park.  This intimate [not my word for
it] six-hour daylight cruise provide maximum opportunity for seeing
whales, sea lions and otters, a massive tidewater glacier, and the
stunning beauty of the glacially carved cliffs of the park.  After your
cruise, transfer to Anchorage."  Not noted for the general tourist is
that the birds are GREAT and the captain knows them and announces their
presence!

Price:  Please note, that if this cruise option is more than you would
plan to spend, consider one of the less expensive options
listed/discussed at the end of this e-mail.

COST
Cruise pricing is a study in the ingenuity of the human entreprenurial
spirit.  Apple, oranges, bananas and horseraddish must be compared and
added in to get to the bottom line.  Here goes with the best explanation
I can offer.

Basic Fare (called--I don't know why--a "tariff")
Very good price breaks given for Early Booking.  All fare discussion
below is based  "Early Booking" rate.
Early Booking =  Before Feb 28, 2003.  Hopefully, we will all make up
our minds well before that.

Note:  shore excursions are NOT included in fare--more on that later

Fares  Page 88/89:   vary by class of cabin and that is determined by:
size of cabin, deck (floor), inside (no porthole--they don't open,
anyway)/outside, verandah, position fore/aft, and by date of sailing
(early/late dates are more dicey as to weather).

The reasoning on recommended cabin class:
1.  We won't be spending much time in the cabin (sleep/change clothes)
2.  Views of the outside are best from public lounge areas, not little
portholes
3.  We don't need a verandah on which not to stand
4.  We don't need a suite

You get the picture:  Based on previous cruise experience, we book the
lowest level cabin that meets our needs.  This means, Inside Cabin
(cheaper), and not on "premium" deck, but lower--elevators and stairways
work just fine.  If you are thinking 3 or even 4 to a cabin (discussed
later), you need a minimum size--this means the very cheapest won't
do--you don't want it anyway, as it is tiny and in the very bow
and--well, you just don't want it.  Trust me.

Note:  Early bookers may be upgraded.  This means you pay for an "L"
cabin, but you might get a "K" at no extra charge--you won't know until
you board the ship--sometimes a very nice surprise--but don't count on
it!

Cabins  Page 86/87)  are Labeled A thru N.  A is for the Queen of Sheba;
N is for Sherpas' dogs.  We book L or M.  These are called "large"
(ha!--but they are very adequate).

Therefore, the recommended cabin level, and therefore, the basic price
for this cruise is:
        M at $1,189 per person
or
        L at $1,228 per person (actually, give the position of these
cabins on the Ryndam, L is PREFERRED--pay the extra, it's worth it in
this case)

*****So, $1,228 per person is the basic fare.  Add $42.16 taxes per
person  = $1,270.16
This fare is based on double occupancy.  A third or fourth adult per
cabin is $599 per the additional person (plus the $41.16 tax).  One
option some of you may want to consider is going 3 or 4 to a cabin and
agreeing to split the total equally--for 3 people, this comes to
$1060.50 each based on the "L" cabin fare, and $955.66 each for 4 in a
cabin.

O.K.  That's what the book says.  But conversation with Paula based on
her conversation to Holland America representative comes up with:
Base Rate for "L" cabin                    $977.60
Tax-we don't know why different--      161.16
Transfer Seward-Anchorage                  59.00*  This would be
included in the Kenai Fjord option below
                               TOTAL            $1,197.76

AND for you 3 or 4 to a cabin:  Representative says 3rd or 4th person
rate is $480.00  $119 LESS than stated in book.

Kenai Fjords Day Trip:
Includes:      Boat Trip fare (lunch included)
                    Coach (bus) transfer to Anchorage
                    Room in Anchorage hotel (beaucoup expensive)
****Cost:  $349.00 per person, double occupancy; $209 for third person
in a room

*****Total cost of cruise plus Fjords day trip (based on 2 per
cabin/room = $1,619.16 (remember, is less if 3 or 4 share)

Of course, costs don't stop there--you have to get to Vancouver, and
back from Anchorage.

Airfare  Page 96-97.  I highly recommend you use Holland America's air
travel plan.  Yes, it costs more, but the advantages are:
1.  We will be flying into Vancouver and out of Anchorage.  This is not
a standard round-trip for any airline
2.  All transfers from airport to ship are covered in the fee.  You and
your luggage are met by Holland America agents at the airport and are
escorted to transportation to the ship.  Your luggage is taken care of
until it arrives on board delivered to your cabin.
3.  The ship often delays sailing if passengers with this plan are
delayed getting on board--sailing not delayed for others.

Tommie Rogers went to Alaska this summer.  The K.C.--Anchorage round
trip cost $578.82.  This gives perspective to the Holland America air
travel plan.

Per person:
 From K.C.  $779
 From StL   $769

Airfare is $795 according to the Holland America representative Paula
spoke to--change due to airline fare hike.

****According to the Cruise catalog:  Costs of ship, day trip and air
per person based on double occupancy:  $2,398.16 (K.C.)   $2,388.26
(St.L)
I haven't done the math, but by going 3 or 4 in a cabin, the total would
be about $250 to $350 per person less.

According to prices quoted to Paula:  The total per person (on 2 person
occupancy):  approximately $2,300.  The price for 3rd or 4th person,
even less than as printed in the catalog.

Shore Excursions
Shore Excursions in the ports of call are not included in the cruise
fare.  These vary from $20 to several hundred.  The ones birders would
find of interest are definitely at the lower end of the range!  There
may be times where we/you/some of us would opt to skip a formal
excursion and explore a town or a natural area on our own.  Some of the
organized excursions are ideal for birding--we'll pick these later.
You can figure shore excursion cost at $120 or less.  If you want to
take float plane or helicopter rides, you'll pay considerably more.

We will be working/booking with Paula Thomas, travel agent with Tiger
Travel in Columbia.  She says Holland America representative told her if
we book 16 people, the cabin fare for the 16th person is free.  If we
reach 16 total, I am willing to share some of that free cabin fare
(minus headache money) to reduce the price for all--would probably be
about $50 per person--but that is a guess.

OPTIONAL TRIP  Page 70-71
Still want to go on Alaska Cruise, but think this one is too expensive?
Based on my (limited) experience, the second best cruise option for
birding is the 7 day Glacier Bay Inside Passage Cruise.  For best
birding dates, the following look good:
ms. Maasdam, June 26 or July 3
ms. Volendam, June 30 or July 7.

Fare table is on Page 84/85

Air Fare Page 96/97

Check with Paula Thomas (after Oct 14) for your options.

All questions welcome.  E-mail me with anything that comes to
mind--answers will be attempted.

We'll talk about when commitments must be made later.  Be sure to pass
this information on to anyone you think might be interested--there is
plenty of room!

Below is a species list of sightings on the 2001 cruise with the same
itinerary, and a few from other cruises with Glacier Bay in the
itinerary.  Only the first sighting for Alaska and/or Canada is listed.
Several species were seen more times and in more places.  This is just
to give you an idea of what is possible.  Remember, possible is not the
same as guaranteed.  Look at the species for Kenai Fjords and you will
understand the value of the add-on day trip.

Common Loon                     Gastineau Bay
Black-footed Albatross         Gulf of Alaska
Northern Fulmar                    “
Sooty Shearwater                  “
Short-tailed Shearwater         “
Fork-tailed Storm-Petrel       Queen Charlotte Strait/Gulf of Alaska
Leach’s Storm-Petrel            Gulf of Alaska
Double-crested Cormorant     Kenai Fjords
Red-faced Cormorant             “
Pelagic Cormorant                  “
Great Blue Heron                    Gastineau Bay
Mallard                                   Valdez
Northern Pintail                       Glacier Bay
Green-winged Teal                   Reserection Sound
Ring-necked Duck                    “
Harlequin Duck                       Gastineau Bay
Surf Scoter                            Gulf of Alaska/Fitz Hugh Sound
White-winged Scoter               Tongass Narrows/Fitz Hugh Sound
Red-breasted Merganser          Sitka Sound
Bald Eagle                              Ketchikan/Georgia Strait
Black Oystercatcher               Reserection Sound
Black Turnstone                      Sitka Sound
Surfbird                                  “
Red-necked Phalarope             Kenai Fjiords
Bonaparte’s Gull                      Fitz Hugh Sound
Mew Gull                                 Gastineau Bay/ Strait of Georgia
Glaucous-winged Gull               Sitka Sound/Strait of Georgia
Sabine’s Gull                            Gulf of Alaska
Black-legged Kittiwake              “
Arctic Tern                               Reserection Sound
Common Murre                          Kenai Fjords/Queen Charlotte Strait
Thick-billed Murre                      Kenai Fjords
Pigeon Guillemot                        Kenai Fjords/Queen Charlotte
Strait
Marbled Murrelet                       Gastineau Bay/Queen Charlotte S.
Kittlitz’s Murrelet                     Kenai Fjords
Cassin’s Auklet                         Queen Charlotte Strait
Parakeet Auklet                       Kenai Fjords
Rhinoceros Auiklet                    Kenai Fjords/Queen Charlotte Strait
Horned Puffin                            Kenai Fjords
Tufted Puffin                            Gulf of Alaska
Rock Dove                                 Juneau
Vaux’s Swift                             Moray Bridge, suburb, Vancouver
Rufous Hummingbird                  Queen Charlotte Strait (on ship!)
Belted Kingfisher                       Reserection Sound
Red-breasted Sapsucker             Douglas Is., Juneau
Pacific-slope Flycatcher                “
Steller’s Jay                                 “
Black-billed Magpie                      Valdez
Northwestern Crow                     Ketchikan/Moray Bridge
Common Raven                            Ketchikan
Purple Martin                               Raptor Cntr. Sitka
Tree Swallow                                College Campus, Sitka
Violet-green Swallow                     Juneau
Barn Swallow                                 Sitka
Chestnut-backed Chickadee          Ketchikan
Brown Creeper                             Valdez
Winter Wren                                 Douglas Is., Juneau
American Dipper                            Creek St., Ketchikan
Varied Thrush                               Douglas Is., Juneau
European Starling                           Sitka
Orange-crowned Warbler               Douglas Is., Juneau
Yellow Warbler                              Valdez
Townsend’s Warbler                      Ketchikan
Fox Sparrow                                  Sitka
Song Sparrow                                Sitka
Dark-eyed Junco                            Raptor center, Sitka
Pine siskin                                     Sitka

Edge Wade
Columbia, MO