Re: OT Re: Towers and Dust

Charles McElwain <[log in to unmask]>

T. S. Eliot Discussion forum.

Sun, 15 Sep 2002 08:02:57 -0400

text/plain

>PS* "`I grow old... I grow old... I shall wear the bottoms of my
>trousers
>rolled.` What does that mean, Mr.Marlowe?" "Not a bloody thing. It just
>sounds good." He smiled. "That is from the `Love Song of J. Alfred
>Prufrock.` Here's another one. `In the room women come and go/Talking of
>Michael Angelo.' Does that suggest anything to you, sir?" Yeah -- it
>suggests to me that the guy didn't know very much about women." "My
>sentiments exactly, sir. Nonetheless I admire T. S. Eliot very much."
>"Did you say, 'nonetheless'?"

This passage by Raymond Chandler is from "The Long Goodbye".  There's
another allusion to Eliot in the same work, which was also quoted in the
below cartoon parody.

"Then there is the pale, pale blonde, with anaemia of some non-fatal
but incurable type.  She is very languid and very shadowy and speaks
softly out of nowhere and you can't lay a finger on her because in the
first place you don't want to and in the second place, she is reading
The Waste Land or Dante in the original, or Kafka or Kierkegaard or
studying Provencal...."

>There's a Chandler-like parody of The Waste Land done
>in cartoon style. It's really quite a masterfl piece of work.
>Forget the title off hand.

Indeed, it is.

The Waste Land, by Martin Rowson (writer and illustrator), Edward
Burlingame/Harper & Row, 1990.

It even has a section of notes at the end, which themselves are masterful
parodies, and pointers to other parodies.  Some examples, chosen for
their relevance to our list:

I The Burial of the Dead

Frame 2 "For 'dried Tuba', read 'dried tuber' throughout

Frame 17 V. Julian Sykes Wolsey's 1935 poem, "On a Bus with J. Alfred
Prufrock":
   In the room the women came and went
   Talking of Vermeer of Ghent
   In the room the women take a hike
   Talking of Jan van Eyck
   In the room the women catch a bus
   Talking of Walter Gropius
   In the room the women leave by train
   Talking of Michaelangelo again

Also of interest is the minimalist poet D. N. Eva's
   I knew a man called T.S. Eliot
   Who wanted to write the "Waist Land" but couldn't spelliot

II A Game of Chess

Frame 36 One is reminded here of W. H. Auden's memorable near-
palindrome: "T. Eliot, top bard, notes putrid tang emanating: I'd assign
it a name, gnat dirt upset on a drab pot toilet."

III The Fire Sermon

Frames 26 Cf. Isaac Guillespie's "Eliot with an Angelus, Pound with
a Fasces" from Waiting at the Archduke's (1934)
   Dada wouldn't buy me a Bauhaus
   Dada wouldn't buy me a Bauhaus
   Vortecism and De Stijl
   Only make me feel quite ill
   And I'd rather have a Bau bau Haus

Frame 33 "The Chalice from the Palace"  Cf. The Court Jester starring
Danny Kaye.  The Holy Grail should not be confused with Mrs. Llewellyn
Lockridge Grayle in Farewell My Lovely.

Frame 98 Carthage, California.  Not to be confused with Carthage, Montana
or Carthage, Texas

IV Death by Water

During the filming of The Big Sleep, Bogart asked the director of the picture
the significance of the dead chauffeur in the Packard dredged out of the
ocean.  Not knowing the answer, the director asked the scriptwriters.
Equally in the dark, they phoned Chandler, who'd forgotten.

V What the Thunder Said

In the first part of Chapter 3 three themes are employed: the journey from
The Treasure of Sierra Madre, the sound effects at the beginning of Finnegan's
Wake, and images from the Tex Avery classic "What's Buzzin' Buzzard"

Frames 1-10 The absence here of a previously dominant figure in the Eliot
version is indicative of how far we've come.  Cf. Nietzsche, Die Froehliche
Wissenschaft.  Also, McLuhan and Bakunin.

Frame 14 In fact, rather than being a Turdus aonalaschkae pallasii, the
bird shown here is a Turdus philomelos.  One presumes that Eliot could
equally well have employed the symbolism of say, a rock hopper penguin
at this point.  Cf. Kevin Killane, The Bestiary: Zoos, Zoo Animals and
the Weltschmerz (Pathfinder, 1982)

Frame 48 The goat here is probably a misreading of "boat".  V. Thomas
of Celano:
   Inter oves locum praesta
   Et ab haedis me sequestra
   Statuens in parte dextra

Frame 52 "Le Prince d'Aquitaine a la tour abolie".  V. El Desdichado
by Gerard de Nerval.  De Nerval kept a pet lobster which he would
take for walks on a leash in the Bois de Boulogne.  When asked why,
he replied, "It does not bark, and knows the secrets of the sea".