Re: Some Queries, was Re: Deluge...

Nancy Gish <[log in to unmask]>

T. S. Eliot Discussion forum.

Sat, 28 Sep 2002 17:23:58 -0400

text/plain

Dear Robert,

I have problems with some definitions in DSM4, but on this, does it include
only the integrity of the physical self of also of the self in an emotional
sense?  Some trauma that is not physical can be as damaging.  For
example, depression can be experienced as a hell worse than a physical
one.  I am not denying that war is the nadir:  it is hell of every kind at
once.  And I of course have to rely on what has been written.
Nancy

Date sent:              Sat, 28 Sep 2002 16:21:50 -0400
From:                   Robert Summers <[log in to unmask]>
Subject:                Re: Some Queries, was Re: Deluge...
To:                     [log in to unmask]

Dear Nancy,

Yes, of course WWI and WWII veterans also suffered from what is now
called
PTSD known then as shell shock, fatigue etc.  However, it IS life
threatening situations that is the initial cause according to the  DMS4.
The illness can be "triggered" by remembrances or flashbacks of the
incident(s).
  PTSD is also caused by sexual abuse, rape, and physical abuse.  In
each
situation one's life or the integrity of the self is threatened.  This
kind of trauma has to have occurred.  PTSD destroys one's personality and
character.  There are seventeen symptoms of PTSD and many secondary
symptoms.

War is the nadir of all human possibilities.

Bob Summers