Catchup

Carrol Cox <[log in to unmask]>

T. S. Eliot Discussion forum.

Thu, 19 Sep 2002 18:33:53 -0500

text/plain

Have had other things to do for awhile, but wanted to continue a couple
threads that were running when I got busy.

First on writing and intelligence, then quick notes on Milton and the
concept of "off topic."

Gunnar Jauch wrote:

> I disagree, dear Carrol,
>
> Your statement on a list dedicated to such a genius of the written word
> seems almost sacrilegious ;-)!
>
> But: Don't you agree that precise writing is a sign of precise thinking?
> Mind you, I'm using the term "writing skill" as you did, and this has
> nothing to do with grammar and its often arbitrary and illogical rules.

DISTINGUO, as the Scholastics used to say (if I remember the latin
correctly)

1. Precise writing is a sign of precise thinking: this is probably true,
so long as you remember that "precise" or "powerful" thinking is _not_
necessarily the same as "true thinking." Thomas Aquinas, Bertrand
Russell, & Karl Marx were all precise and powerful writers, _and_
thinkers. But they can't all three have reached correct results.

2. Imprecise, bad, sloppy writing is a sign of imprecise, bad, sloppy
thinking. ABSOLUTELY FALSE.

I provoked a lengthy discussion of this on the ISU English Dept. list a
few years ago. I'll give you here my initial post (concealing the name
of the poster responded to). The discussion began with Smith's remarks
on spelling, but rapidly in subsequent posts widenened to include
"writing skill" as both you and I use it here.

******
Smith writes: "Spelling is admittedly a lowly, gradeschool skill, but
our students haven't conquered it.  Since the basic problem of writing
is attracting a reader and since almost every reader can fault a
writer's spelling...."

Preliminary: I spent my teaching career attempting (not too
successfully) to persuade students that an example, even many examples,
proved nothing; on the other hand as Thoreau remarked (I no longer
remember the remark accurately, or where he said it) a trout in the milk
can makes one think. Given that -- an example from the early 1960s. At
that time there was a 10 hour requirement in English: two semesters of
comp (4 sem. hrs each) followed by a 2 hr Intro to Lit. I had this
student who was a delight to have in the classroom, willing to speak,
and always  speaking intelligently. In 101 and 102 I gave him a C for
this reason and out of general charity, but in those two courses I don't
believe he ever submitted a paper with a single complete sentence.

Then in the lit class, one day he was in my office discussing the novel
we were reading, *Rabbit Run*. At that time I possessed a fairly sharp
ability to memorize an oral statement of several sentences and project
in on a screen in my mind, and I did so with what he said to me at one
point.

What I saw on that screen was as well "written" a passage as any I ever
received from an ISU student. The syntax was complex, flexible, and
perfect; the observation on Updike's novel intelligent and striking.
Examining his papers from that perspective, it was quite clear that all
those sentence fragments were just that, broken pieces of sentences that
in themselves were quite unexceptionable. He had no trouble with
grammar, with sentence rhythms, with the articulation of his ideas.
There was simply some horrid glitch between brain and fingers, but not
between brain and vocal cords.******

That started a long discussion, which revealed that there was concrete
research, and conducted by an young assistant professor at ISU I hadn't
known.  The post from which I just quoted drew the following response
from Patricia Dunn of the dept:

*****