Dr. Robert Sutton, Jamaica

marilyn koshland <[log in to unmask]>

MO Wild Bird Forum <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 9 Aug 2002 07:15:50 +0000

text/plain

Our daughter was in the Peace Corps in Jamaica and we visited her
there.  She took us to Dr. Sutton  and Anne who showed us their
plantation and birds.
This article appeared in the Jamaican Newspaper, THE GLEANER, 7/31/02.
I forward it , while long, for those who would be interested.
Marilyn  Koshland   Greenwood, Mo.

From today's Gleaner:

Requiem for a bird lover Peter Espeut

MURDER IS so common and so frequent in Jamaica that, for many of us, it
fails to shock or appall.

The stabbing to death last week of internationally famous Jamaican
environmentalist Robert Sutton of Marshall's Pen, Manchester, was murder
most foul, and the abduction and
stabbing of his wife, Dr. Ann Haynes Sutton, ostensibly for ransom, is
further indication of the depths to which we have sunk as a people. But
those tragic events passed without
being much noticed, itself quite tragic.

Robert Sutton was more Jamaican than most of us, being able to trace
more than one of his ancestors back to the English invaders in 1655.
Indeed, he is a direct descendant of
Richard James, the first baby born in Jamaica under English rule. But
that does not mean much to some people, for Robert Sutton was a white
Jamaican, born into an old Jamaican
family.

Robert was born in Mandeville, and went to DeCarteret College. His
father was a cattle farmer and he learnt the family business at an early
age. After managing cattle properties in
St. Elizabeth and Westmoreland, he took over his father's farm in
Manchester in 1979, and he remained a cattle farmer until his murder
last week. He was a respected cattle
breeder; one of the bullkins bred on his property, Marshall's Pen, was
purchased and raised by a local farmer and later won the prize at a
recent Denbigh Show.

But Robert's local and international fame and his enduring contribution
to Jamaica is in connection with his passion for and expertise in
Jamaican birds, specially recording bird
songs. You might have seen his recent book published jointly with his
cousin, Audrey Downer, by Cambridge University Press: Birds of Jamaica:
a Photographic Field Guide; or
you might have seen his recent set of tapes/CDs of Jamaican bird calls
published in 2000 jointly with G. Reynard by Cornell University Press:
Bird Songs in Jamaica. He was just
beginning to set down for the rest of us the wealth of knowledge he had
gained over his lifetime and was planning a new book and a new series of
sound recordings. He shared his
knowledge freely, and encouraged and trained many local people. He was
always willing to volunteer to take groups from the Natural History
Society of Jamaica and the Gosse
Bird Club (now BirdLife Jamaica) into the field, and had infinite
patience when trying to introduce people to birdwatching. His untimely
death is a great loss to the environmental
community, and to the environment itself.

His expertise in Jamaican birds was called upon in many ways. He was the
natural person for visiting film crews to turn to as a consultant on
Jamaican bird life: he was a
consultant to the BBC Natural History Film Unit when it filmed David
Attenborough's Life of Birds in 1997 Spirits of the Jaguar in 1995 on
location in Jamaica. Similarly,
visiting scientists usually contacted him for advice about how to
implement their bird studies, taking advantage of his comprehensive
knowledge of Jamaican birds and their
habitats. He carried out assessments of environmental impact all across
Jamaica for almost thirty years. To name a few, he assessed the JAVAMEX
Project for CIDA (1977), the
Royal Palm Reserve Project for the Petroleum Corporation of Jamaica
(1987), and the hazards posed by birds to aircraft at the Sangster
International Airport for the Airports
Authority of Jamaica (1992).

Most Jamaicans know that many North American birds migrate to Jamaica to
spend the winter months.

These birds spend about eight months of the year in Jamaica, so they are
really Jamaican birds which migrate north for the summer months when the
insects on which they feed are
abundant]. But where do our birds reside during the four months they
live up north? Robert Sutton dedicated a good part of his life trying to
find out.

He qualified himself as a bird-bander through the US Fish and Wildlife
Service, and over the last 30 years he has placed uniquely numbered
metal bands on the feet of thousands
of migrant birds. Birders in the US who observe the bands communicate
with the US Fish and Wildlife Service, which means that we in Jamaica
can know which parts of the
USA we are organically linked with through our birds.

By banding Jamaican resident birds, he has studied the survival, ages
and the plumages of these creatures throughout their life cycle, and
their longevity, which has advanced the
science of Jamaican bird ecology and identification. His serious and
scientific approach to data collection was reflected in his long-term
commitment to the Meteorological Service.
He maintained the weather station at Marshall's Pen and received several
awards for his service, most recently as Champion Observer for
Manchester in 2001. In his own quiet
(and unsung) way, this Jamaican man has made a serious and lasting
contribution to our understanding of Jamaica's natural history.

A TOUGH OUTDOOR MAN

Robert Sutton was a pioneer in Jamaican Nature Tourism. He took great
pleasure in taking groups of local and foreign people into the bush to
see birds and was one of the first
Jamaicans to work with bird-watching tours for overseas birders
tourists, and has arrangements with US and UK tour companies - including
Victor Emmanuel and Ornitholidays -
which has brought thousands of tourists to Jamaica. He took tour groups
all over Jamaica - from Barbecue Bottom in the Cockpit Country to the
John Crow Mountains in St.
Thomas - exposing them to the beauty of God's creation in Jamaica. He
was a tough outdoor man, fit of mind and body. He was murdered - stabbed
in the heart as he fought with
the intruders to protect his wife.

He was not a narrow environmentalist. He supported the local community
around Marshall's Pen. His family donated land for the Mike Town
Community Centre and the Mike
Town Missionary Church, and he regularly attended local Community
Council meetings and was quite vocal on local and national issues. He
was the sponsor of the Mike Town
Basic School. He was a past president of the Manchester Horticultural
Society, and treasurer of the Jamaica Junior Naturalists, an
environmental education NGO for the youth of
Manchester.

In my own work, Robert Sutton (and his wife) did extensive research for
us on the resident, migrant and transient birds of the Portland Bight
Protected Area. Of course, he could
identify the species of birds just by hearing them chirp. And he banded
hundreds of our birds. He was a world-class expert in his field; a big
Jamaican! He will be sorely missed.

Rest in Peace, Gallant Robert!

Peter Espeut is a sociologist and is executive director of an
environment and development NGO.