TSE May 2002

OT Dutch Occurances and The Big Lie

Tom Gray <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 10 May 2002 08:26:06 -0700 (PDT)

text/plain

Here is an article from a respected Silicon Valley
source on what really  happened in Holland. It does
put the news media (both Dutch and American) in
perspective in putting out the sorts of misinformation
that causes misunderstandings and suspicion. Note that
the Dutch media are also said to have put information
out without regard to its validity which puts paid to
any idea of nuance in European politics. Living in
Canada, I can say that this description also captures
the Canadian media as well.

> [log in to unmask] (DaveNet email)@scripting.com> on
> 05/10/2002 10:33:11 AM
>
> Please respond to [log in to unmask]
>
> Sent by:  <[log in to unmask]>
>

> To:   "DaveNet World" <[log in to unmask]>
> cc:
> Subject:  Adam Curry: The Big Lie
>

> DaveNet essay, "Adam Curry: The Big Lie", released
> on 5/10/2002; 7:31:41 AM
> Pacific.

> ***Intro by Dave Winer
>
> From time to time I run guest essays, written by
> people who have an
> experience that relates to the topics we cover. On
> September 14 last year I
> ran a piece by Tamim Ansary on Afghanistan. I've run
> essays by Bill Gates
> and Esther Dyson. Today, permit me to introduce Adam
> Curry [1], who is a
> personal friend, and was in Amsterdam this week
> gathering first-hand
> reports about the assassination of Pim Fortuyn, a
> political candidate who
> Adam knew and supported.
>
> The first report I heard about the Fortuyn
> assassination, on KQED, the
> National Public Radio outlet in San Francisco, said
> that Fortuyn was a
> right-wing extremist, in the mode of France's Le
> Pen. Having visited the
> Netherlands four times in the last two years, I was
> shocked to hear that.
> The Netherlands is a singularly liberal and peaceful
> country. It didn't
> make sense. I put it out of my mind and went on with
> my day. Then I read on
> Adam's weblog [2] that this is not correct, that
> Fortuyn was not even
> conservative.
>
> As the days passed, Adam's site became central to a
> discussion that has
> reached into all corners of the weblog world. The
> wrong story continued to
> propogate. What is going on with the media, what
> kind of information are
> they distributing, and why?
>
> I asked Adam for permission to run an essay that he
> wrote on Wednesday, and
> he graciously gave it. The rest of this piece was
> written by Adam Curry,
>

> ***Shockwave
>
> Monday's killing of historian and politician Pim
> Fortuyn brought an entire
> nation to its feet. After the initial shockwave that
> was felt throughout
> all communities in this tiny trading nation near the
> North Sea, the public
> showed its true colors. That of a peaceful, tolerant
> society.
>
> It was a feeling of disbelief. How could this
> happen, in the Netherlands of
> all places? This has never happened in modern Dutch
> politics. You hear it
> everywhere: This isn't Holland, Not the Dutch way.
> Many speak of "American
> drama on our shores." I'm pretty sure that statement
> is meant to reflect
> the shock, anger and sorrow of 9-11.

> [...]
=== message truncated ===