TSE May 2002

Re: What's the frequency, Kenneth?

Carrol Cox <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 13 May 2002 18:46:16 -0500

text/plain

[log in to unmask] wrote:

> In a message dated Mon, 13 May 2002  2:16:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [log in to unmask] writes:
>
> <<There are many Jewish professors and students, and forgive me here for "generalizing," but I just don't believe that Jewish professors or students would harbor views against Israel or allow anyone else to do so in their presence.
> >

> >Regards,
> >
> >Kate
> >

> I will not forgive you for generalizing because you are doing so wrongly and dangerously.
>
> You are saying that Jews in academia stifle viewpoints critical of Israel and, implicitly, that they do so because they are Jewish.  If you weren't saying that you considered it a *good* thing, your assertion would fit well in an anti-semitic rant.
>
> It is, in any case, an offensive generalization.
>
> Tom K

As a matter of fact there are many many Jewish professors and students
who are vigorously opposing Israeli crimes. Professor Noam Chomsky of
M.I.T. is only the best known. The following forwarded post might be of
interest to some on this list. Tom is of course correct: Kate has now
(perhaps more through simple ignorance than malice) succeeded in being
anti-semitic.

Carrol Cox

Forwarded Post:

Subject:      Israeli dissident faces firing from Haifa University
     Date:    Mon, 13 May 2002 11:15:19 -0400

Dear colleagues, if you are interested in details on the Katz
dissertation affair at the University of Haifa, there was an article
published, written by Pappe, in the quarterly _Journal of Palestine
Studies_ (I don't have the issue at my fingertips, but it was published
in 2000 or 2001).  Pappe is a wonderful scholar in the genre of the
revisionist Israeli historians.  I hope we can support him.  If I
remember correctly, following his persecution, Katz the M.A. student
"rescinded" his research findings, based on Hebrew language Israeli
military documents, of a previously undiscovered massacre of
Palestinians at Tantura in 1948.  PLEASE PASS ON TO ACADEMIC LISTSERVES.
fh