TSE May 2002

Re: prejudice

"Richard Seddon" <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 10 May 2002 10:18:04 -0600

text/plain

------=_NextPart_000_0032_01C1F80B.F8EA06E0

Arwin:

Reread my post:

Not once did I mention the economic and political conglomerate called =
the European Union.  I talked only of Europeans, a generally recognized =
geographic description.  Surely you would accept that Bosnia is as =
European as Italy.

I am a vegan vegetarian and have some personal sympathy for your alleged =
killer, however, I run totally out of intellectual sympathy and =
understanding for assassins.  Political extremism is extremism whether =
it is painted in agreeable colors or not.  Courts of law are coercive =
instruments of government and are rooted in politics.  Your extremist =
assassin nut's use of the courts speaks volumes for his political savvy =
but nothing as to his moral or ethical maturity.  As I understand the =
penalties involved,  he has risked 20 years confinement against =
terminating another's life.  Surely there is no moral equivalence or =
tragic equality here.  Surely there is a moral, ethical and tragic =
difference between the absolute of death and the risk of confinement, a =
confinement where he will have every hope of continuing his work.

Our brat (I agree totally with your assessment) didn't kill anyone.  He =
terrorized a group of people in order to make a political statement.  So =
far, in rare lucidity, the press has given his message little credence.  =
That terror will linger far beyond his acts.  I cited him as another =
example of a prejudice which affords cover to despicable acts as long as =
the perpetrator is of the proper political color (whatever that color =
might be).  Your attempt to make the tragedy of death equivalent with =
the tragedy of killing is another example of that cover   =20

Pound once said that his only requirement of government was that it =
provide order and support the arts.  Mussolini supported the arts, =
drained swamps, got the trains running on time and given he was living =
in Italy Pound became a Fascist.  The lesson; governments take extreme =
advantage of the slightest carelessness of the citizen.  They bear =
watching closely.

Rick Seddon
McIntosh, NM, USA =20

------=_NextPart_000_0032_01C1F80B.F8EA06E0

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Arwin:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Reread my post:</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Not once did I mention the economic and =
political=20
conglomerate called the European Union.&nbsp; I talked only of =
Europeans, a=20
generally recognized geographic description.&nbsp; Surely you would =
accept that=20
Bosnia is as European as Italy.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I am a vegan vegetarian and have some =
personal=20
sympathy for your alleged killer, however, I run totally out of =
intellectual=20
sympathy and understanding for assassins.&nbsp; Political extremism is =
extremism=20
whether it is&nbsp;painted in agreeable colors or not.&nbsp; Courts of =
law are=20
coercive instruments of government and are rooted in politics.&nbsp; =
Your=20
extremist&nbsp;assassin nut's use of the courts speaks volumes for his =
political=20
savvy but nothing as to his moral or ethical maturity.&nbsp; As I =
understand the=20
penalties involved, &nbsp;he has risked 20 years confinement against=20
terminating&nbsp;another's life.&nbsp; Surely there is no moral=20
equivalence&nbsp;or tragic equality here.&nbsp; Surely there is a moral, =
ethical=20
and tragic difference&nbsp;between the absolute of death&nbsp;and the =
risk of=20
confinement, a confinement where he will have every hope of continuing =
his=20
work.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Our brat (I agree totally with your =
assessment)=20
didn't kill anyone.&nbsp; He terrorized a group of people in order to =
make a=20
political statement.&nbsp; So far, in rare lucidity, the press has given =
his=20
message little credence.&nbsp; That terror will linger far beyond his=20
acts.&nbsp;&nbsp;I cited him as another example of a prejudice which =
affords=20
cover to despicable acts as long as the perpetrator is of the proper =
political=20
color (whatever that color might be).&nbsp; Your attempt to make the =
tragedy=20
of&nbsp;death equivalent with the tragedy of killing&nbsp;is another =
example of=20
that cover&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Pound once said that his only =
requirement of=20
government was that it provide order and support the arts.&nbsp; =
Mussolini=20
supported the arts, drained swamps, got the trains running on time=20
and&nbsp;given he was living in Italy Pound became a Fascist.&nbsp; The =
lesson;=20
governments take extreme advantage of the slightest carelessness of the=20
citizen.&nbsp; They bear watching closely.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Rick Seddon</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>McIntosh, NM,=20
USA&nbsp;&nbsp;</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0032_01C1F80B.F8EA06E0--