Monospaced Font

LISTSERV Archives

TSE Home

TSE  May 2002

TSE May 2002

Re: What's the frequency, Kenneth?

"Rickard A. Parker" <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 13 May 2002 19:39:35 -0400

text/plain

Kate Troy wrote:

> In fact, the only support for Arabs, Palestinian types or otherwise, I
> find anywhere is among certain people in Academia.

I can find it just fine elsewhere. On the April 20th pro-Palestinian
demonstrations in Washington D.C.:

    http://baltimore.indymedia.org/feature/display/928/index.php

    In fact, a highlight of both independent and corporate news coverage
    was the Hasidic and Orthodox Jews who were in D.C. to express
    solidarity with the Palestinian struggle. The image of a Hasidic man
    wearing the tradtional long beard and hat standing side by side with
    family wearing Palestinian kaffiyehs became a stirring symbol of the
    nature of the demonstrations. The Post reports on this unity in
their
    story, quoting Rabbi Yisroel Weiss who believes that Israel should
be
    returned to the Palestinians. However, the photograph chosen to
    accompany the story on washingtonpost.com is of two Jewish men in
    conversation with two Arab men and bears the caption, "Osher Zelig
    Estreicher, left, debates policy with Kamal Gafar, as do Rabbi Chaim
    Tzvi Freimann and Galal Elraida. (Jahi Chikwendiu - The Washington
    Post)." It is an image of contention that offsets the message of
    support and cooperation evident at the marches and rally.

The photograph at washingtonpost.com that was mentioned above is at:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/wp-dyn?pagename=article&node=&contentId=A22230-2002Apr20&notFound=true

Some text from that page:

    Several downtown blocks away, thousands of other pro-Palestinian
    activists took to the streets for another march to free Palestine.
The
    group was made up mostly of Arab Americans with relatives in the
    occupied territories and U.S. Jews opposed to the occupation.

    "The Palestinians here in the crowd look at us mistrustfully at
    first," said Rabbi Yisroel Weiss, 45, of New York. "But then they
    speak a few words with us, and they show us respect and friendship."
    Weiss traveled to Washington with several dozen Orthodox rabbis to
    join the march, which left the Washington Hilton, joined
    anti-globalization demonstrators outside the Foggy Bottom
headquarters
    of the World Bank and International Monetary Fund and continued on
the
    Capitol. He said his group favored dismantling Israel and returning
it
    to the Palestinians.

Regards,
    Rick Parker