TSE January 2002

Re: Bad manners

"Richard Seddon" <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 9 Jan 2002 19:26:21 -0700

text/plain

Nancy:

I thought I said that he tried to enlist in W.W.I. I did not try to hide
that fact. What is also implied in all the accounts is that TSE tried to
join up on his own terms. I, in fact, stated those terms. I mentioned that
he served during WW II. I did not mention the job but said that it was not
active war service. Air raid warden was not active war service but was
rather a deputized civilian volunteer helping to keep order during air raids

There were many many opportunities for service during WW I. TSE took
advantage of none of them. Americans flew for the Canadian Army Air Corps
prior to the US declaration of War. Audie Murphy was a full 2 inches too
short to serve in WW II. Murphy is still the most decorated American
fighting man. Do not reach to far and think that I am attacking TSE's
character. I have no such intention. I just think that it is curious and
perhaps speaks to TSE's attitude towards war. Perhaps it does not. Many
were only to willing to continue to live their lives in as normal a fashion
as possible.

My father provides the model I use thinking about TSE's attitude towards
war. My father freely admitted that he was only to eager to point out to
the recruiting officer that he was a paid full time lay minister in the
Episcopal Church. Sure enough this meant he didn't have to serve. Phew.
Dodged that one. My father was not a moral objector and was not a pacifist.
He had no problem with his son serving. He just was personally and
individually horrified by the concept of war. Not by fear of his death, his
faith was shield against that, but by the very concept of war. It was
abhorrent to him. It was the State gone mad. He would retreat to his
spiritual beliefs and let the state go berserk. His eyes would well up with
tears of pride and gratitude over the service of his son, friends and
members of his church but he could not have participated even as a Chaplain.

As I stated the "War" in the Al and LIl scene only provides a timely
literary reason for Al to be away. "poor Albert/ He's been in the gaol four
years, he wants a good time...." fits just as well within the context of the
scene as the original. TSE does not use the scene as a comment on War. The
scene rather contributes directly to a tone of the overall apathy of a
culture. Perhaps the characters failure to care about what Al had been
doing could be taken as a comment on War and the home guard's response.

I wrote my comments in response to Frank's curiosity about TSE and War
Poetry. I think I will stand by them.

Rick Seddon
McIntosh, NM, USA