TSE January 2002

Re: Subculture ?

"Arwin van Arum" <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 5 Jan 2002 19:46:05 +0100

text/plain

:-) Everyone is a painter these days (just as everybody is a critic), and an
overview of everything out there will decrease the overall perception of
quality. In other words, there's plenty of garbage around. So be it. Even in
the Golden Age (as we call that "subculture") there were crap paintings. If
you read the stories behind the project, you can see that the project by and
large is a failure, and a small miracle (and the perseverence of a girl
named Eva) something happened at long last and all.

The irony, of course, will be that painter of the picture with the crying
girl encompassing the bunny, being as he is the most likely one to offend
fine minds, has understood the section he painted about very well (as he
explains, it expresses the girls in the poems 'lack of voice', just silent
depictions, and although literally not ture, I can see how the nightingale
part and thought behind the poem in general inspired him to this idea. It's
blending of different and vulgar styles and references is also closest in
idea and execution to that of the Wasteland). The prettiest and most
atmospheric painting I think is the one on "has the corpse begun to sprout",
but it is also a tad formulaic (I've seen plenty of paintings like these,
with a similar use of letters, my mom has one).

As a matter of fact, knowing a few people in the painter circuit, I gather
that most of that "subculture" is now dead - many painter looks to New York
for inspiration and sees it as the Holy Grail of artistic inspiration,
because the arts are so alive and so well entertained (i.e. so many buyers,
so many galleries, so many exhibitions, etc.).

Happy New Year peeps.

Arwin