]

Font:

LISTSERV Archives

TSE Home

TSE  January 2002

TSE January 2002

Re: Eliot biographies--why not, then, disprove?

"Nancy Gish" <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 27 Jan 2002 00:18:40 -0500

text/plain

I think it is essential to deal with the fact that Gordon's tone changed as
she learned more.  No one has yet suggested any reason why she would
have any animus or develop any prejudice.  Scholarship, to be honest,
must go where evidence leads, and it seems to have led her to material
that changed her response.  There is no reason at all to assume she
started with any prejudice, as your emphasis on the previous books shows.
She clearly did not.  And there is no evidence that she had any reason to
develop one.  I would like to ask again--though it just gets ignored--why
praise of Eliot as a person is uncritically taken as true?  As Raphael
pointed out, it too can be an agenda.  To admire that and disparage critique
is meaningless unless one goes back to the original sources and disproves
the conclusions.  I have not seen that done.  The purpose of citation, of
which she has massive amounts, is to make just that possible.  The truth
or validity of any conclusion is not a function of whether one likes it or finds
it comfortable but whether the evidence for it is there.

So could we be specific?  What does she say that is false?  What is a
better way of interpreting, as one example and not at all the worst, the fact
that two women spent years believing Eliot would marry them, and for
reasons he clearly gave them (most women, even far more sophisticated
and experienced than Emily Hale) would think 30 years of letters and many
visits and a past in which love was spoken meant more than a mild flirtation
to be dropped without a shared discussion; I would have thought so
myself), yet she was so astonished and devastated by learning of his
marriage that she had a breakdown.  Now these are facts shown by letters
and pictures and not disputed by anyone.  And the Eliot estate does not
bring libel actions, and one can be pretty sure they would at any falsehood.
Please tell he how this can be interpreted to his credit or what there is
about it that makes it appallingly wrong to find it faithless and cruel in
Eliot?  That seems to me a quite logical inference.

These constant general condemnations are only that.  I think they should
be justified with pretty serious commentary, detail, and evidence before a
life of intensive research is just trashed.

I think the reason you are not seeing the latest book quoted is simply that
publication is so delayed for any book or article that citations seldom turn
up in any number for a couple of years at least.  Gordon's latest is 1998, so
work done since then is only about on the verge of being finished and
published.  Even an article can be a couple of years in researching, writing,
and getting reviewed and in print; a book can be much more.
Nancy