TSE September 2001

Re: OT: Gunnar

Gunnar Jauch <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 29 Sep 2001 03:23:31 +0200

text/plain

> Diese Nachricht ist im MIME-Format. Da Ihr Mailreader dieses Format nicht
unterstźtzt, kšnnte diese Nachricht ganz oder teilweise unlesbar sein.

--MS_Mac_OE_3084578612_407787_MIME_Part

am 29.09.2001 1:26 Uhr schrieb Thomas Kissane unter [log in to unmask]:

I'm sorry to say I cannot find my old mails, nor locate Gunnar's email
address.  Would anyone be able to forward it to me?  Thanks.

Tom K

Dear Tom,
dear TSE listmembers,

an awful event has struck Switzerland.

On Thursday, a deranged man armed with assault rifles and grenades  burst
into the cantonal parliamentary session of the affluent small town of Zug
(20 miles south of Zurich),  killing 15 lawmakers and journalists before
killing himself. It was by far the worst single death toll Switzerland has
ever suffered in a shooting incident.

My wife and I have a close friend in the Zug parliament. Like myself, Regula
is an admirer of my wife's artistry in  dressmaking
(http://www.ewcouture.ch). The news bulletin said that among the butchered
were three women -- the long hours of incertitude were almost unbearable.
The relief was enormous that she wasn't on the casualty list. But in the
hospital there were a dozen of wounded, some in critical condition.

This morning, I finally could talk to her on the phone. With a voice still
shaking she told me she was all right, that  she got away. Only 5 minutes
before the rampage began she was at the lectern, proposing a modification of
a law on education. She said she surely would have been among the deceased
if the killer would have come in earlier. She ducked behind a bench. All she
got was a bullethole through her handbag. She said she fears that the horrid
noise of the four endless minutes of shooting and screaming would be around
her for the rest of her life...

To me it looks as though September 11 has broken down all inhibitions. A
wholly new threshold of violence has been crossed.

Zug was a peaceful place -- there haven't been any killings in the last
three years. Violent crimes were relatively rare all over our nation; there
is a relaxed attitude to security within our borders. Even some of the
highest politicians use public transportation on the way to their jobs,
without any security men around them. Parliamentary sessions are always held
with public attendance, often with schoolclasses listening in.

All this will change. As of today, there are entry badges and metal
detectors in our national parliament.

Tonight I attended a peace rally in downtown Zurich (my last rally was way
back in '69, against the war in 'Nam). There were speakers of many religions
talking to a crowd of about 3000 people (a Rabbi sent his best wishes, he
couldn't take part because of shabbes). The messages of the Buddist, the
Hindu, the Moslem and the Tibetan were similar: to refrain from answering
violence with more violence, to try to love thy enemy. References to Ghandi,
to Martin Luther King. Kids wearing peace symbols, holding hands, joining in
with old gits like me singing old and new peace hymns.

When I got home the street was ablaze with the eery revolving light of squad
cars and ambulances. Police officers all over the place. Seems that my
neighbour has killed herself.

It is not cold, but I shiver.

Gunnar

It ain't dark yet, but it's getting there
Bob Dylan

--MS_Mac_OE_3084578612_407787_MIME_Part

<HTML>
<HEAD>
<TITLE>Re: OT: Gunnar</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>
am 29.09.2001 1:26 Uhr schrieb Thomas Kissane unter [log in to unmask]:<BR=

<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE><FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">I'm sorry to say I cannot fin=
d my old mails, nor locate Gunnar's email address. &nbsp;Would anyone be abl=
e to forward it to me? &nbsp;Thanks.<BR>
</FONT></FONT> <BR>
<FONT SIZE=3D"2"><FONT FACE=3D"Arial">Tom K<BR>
</FONT></FONT><BR>
</BLOCKQUOTE><BR>
<FONT FACE=3D"Geneva">Dear Tom,<BR>
dear TSE listmembers,<BR>
<BR>
an awful event has struck Switzerland. <BR>
<BR>
On Thursday, a deranged man armed with assault rifles and grenades &nbsp;bu=
rst into the cantonal parliamentary session of the affluent small town of Zu=
g (20 miles south of Zurich), &nbsp;killing 15 lawmakers and journalists bef=
ore killing himself. It was by far the worst single death toll Switzerland h=
as ever suffered in a shooting incident.<BR>
<BR>
My wife and I have a close friend in the Zug parliament. Like myself, Regul=
a is an admirer of my wife's artistry in &nbsp;dressmaking (http://www.ewcou=
ture.ch). The news bulletin said that among the butchered were three women -=
- the long hours of incertitude were almost unbearable. The relief was enorm=
ous that she wasn't on the casualty list. But in the hospital there were a d=
ozen of wounded, some in critical condition.<BR>
<BR>
This morning, I finally could talk to her on the phone. With a voice still =
shaking she told me she was all right, that &nbsp;she got away. Only 5 minut=
es before the rampage began she was at the lectern, proposing a modification=
 of a law on education. She said she surely would have been among the deceas=
ed if the killer would have come in earlier. She ducked behind a bench. All =
she got was a bullethole through her handbag. She said she fears that the ho=
rrid noise of the four endless minutes of shooting and screaming would be ar=
ound her for the rest of her life...<BR>
<BR>
To me it looks as though September 11 has broken down all inhibitions. A wh=
olly new threshold of violence has been crossed.<BR>
<BR>
Zug was a peaceful place -- there haven't been any killings in the last thr=
ee years. Violent crimes were relatively rare all over our nation; there is =
a relaxed attitude to security within our borders. Even some of the highest =
politicians use public transportation on the way to their jobs, without any =
security men around them. Parliamentary sessions are always held with public=
 attendance, often with schoolclasses listening in.<BR>
<BR>
All this will change. As of today, there are entry badges and metal detecto=
rs in our national parliament. <BR>
<BR>
Tonight I attended a peace rally in downtown Zurich (my last rally was way =
back in '69, against the war in 'Nam). There were speakers of many religions=
 talking to a crowd of about 3000 people (a Rabbi sent his best wishes, he c=
ouldn't take part because of shabbes). The messages of the Buddist, the Hind=
u, the Moslem and the Tibetan were similar: to refrain from answering violen=
ce with more violence, to try to love thy enemy. References to Ghandi, to Ma=
rtin Luther King. Kids wearing peace symbols, holding hands, joining in with=
 old gits like me singing old and new peace hymns.<BR>
<BR>
When I got home the street was ablaze with the eery revolving light of squa=
d cars and ambulances. Police officers all over the place. Seems that my nei=
ghbour has killed herself.<BR>
<BR>
It is not cold, but I shiver.<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
Gunnar<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<FONT SIZE=3D"1">It ain't dark yet, but it's getting there<BR>
Bob Dylan<BR>
</FONT></FONT><BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
<BR>
</BODY>
</HTML>

--MS_Mac_OE_3084578612_407787_MIME_Part--