TSE  September 2001

TSE September 2001

Re: OT--horror and phones

Sun, 23 Sep 2001 15:52:41 +0100

text/plain

First of all,

let me also express my deepest solidarity to the people in New York, so
terribly affected by this recent war tragedy. I am Italian, and also in
Italy we had a period of intense terrorist activity from 1970 to 1988. Very
often it was not possible to identify who was responsible for the bombs or
attacks, and indeed this was the hardest of all things: to witness horrible
violence and deaths without being able to attach a name to it, again a
confirmation that identifying the source of evil can considerably help in
the research of an overall  meaning for apparently meaningless deaths.

Partly because of this recent history, but also because history is crowded
with people wrongly accused of having committed horrible things, I really
dislike the idea of chasing Osama bin Laden, and all the present furore
around him, with the attached media frenzy and politician's rethoric. For
American people, still shell-shocked after an attack that has left 6000
dead, to hurry out and declare war against Afghanistan looks similar to the
run of a bull towards a red drape...

Could be consedered a useful form of social therapy, perhaps, to divert the
collective anger to the outside, where it will be diluted in a distant,
telegenic bloodshed. For sure, it is a good way to avoid the questioning
about the background that led to the attack, the US internal weakness in
anti-terrorism preventive security, the apparent difficulty of US in
entertaining fruitful and peaceful relationships with those countries that
do not adhere to the western model of capitalistic democracy. Let us hope
that no more civilians (afghani or others) are added to the list of deaths.

Apart from all this, please find here my opinion about Avicenna:

The latin translation of the arabic sentence should be: <intellectus in
formis agit universalitatem>, which I would translate as <the mind infuses
(agit) universalism in our ideas (forms)>. The mind is any individual
person's brain, which is partially associated with the universal mind. In
other words: all of us, all men/women share the mechanism of thinking, we
all share the power to give shape to ideas, which is a trait of the
universal mind.

I like this concept very much. To me it is the same argument by which
Levy-Strauss rules out any possibility for a scientific fundament to
racism: the structure and mechanisms of myths can be equally identified
everywhere in the world, and this is a clear indication that the mind of
all humans works just the same in any possible culture. Nobody is inferior
or superior to anybody else, we all share this power to infuse universal
character to our ideas. Even for Mujadeen or Taleban, the structure of the
mind and the mechanism of thoughts is the same as in you and me. All this
written by a devout muslim in the tenth century, looks like good and
powerful stuff, to me...

Regards

Federica